Promotion or FA Cup?

Carl Sagan

Which would you rather win?  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love the idea all of sudden that that winning a promotion is 'no big deal' for a club like us. .

Have any of you been watching the absolute trough that has been served up since we were relegated last? The club almost died.

Obviously then, the side that got to the FA Cup quarter final in 1984 - was a far better side than our promotion winners of 1996.

The side that lost to United recently in the League Cup semi was far more memorable a set of players than those who won us the playoff final at Wembley against the Albion.

As I say ... bugger it. Lets all pack up.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the idea all of sudden that that winning a promotion is 'no big deal' for a club like us. .

Have any of you been watching the absolute trough that has been served up since we were relegated last? The club almost died.

I think you're guilty of hyperbole here. At what point since 2008 did the club nearly die?

Also, I don't think some admittedly uninspiring mid table championship football was all absolute trough.

Obviously then, the side that got to the FA Cup quarter final in 1984 - was a far better side than our promotion winners of 1996.

The side that lost to United recently in the League Cup semi was far more memorable a set of players than those who won us the playoff final at Wembley against the Albion.

We're talking about winning the FA cup verses getting promoted. A quarter final appearance and a league cup semi final is not the same as winning.

A Derby side that won the FA Cup would be better than either of the promotion sides you mentioned.

Really think you need to get things into perspective.

The club has 'almost died' in the past, being only minutes from being wound up. but you are two decades out. 

We're talking about winning the FA cup verses getting promoted. A quarter final appearance and a league cup semi final is not the same as winning.

A Derby side that won the FA Cup would be better than either of the promotion sides you mentioned.

Yeah but ... they were on the telly, and we got quite far in the cup competitions ... where all the best teams play.

By the way ... no-one can tell me that the club wasn't dying on its arse before Clough came in. The administrators were lurking - we all know that. Not as grave as in the 80s by a country mile of course ... but we were in a sodding mess.

To be competing again is a dream come true as it is.

And I'm the one getting told to keep things in perspective?

I still believe we will get promotion and be competitive next season, I would take that every day over winning the cup..like someone else said earlier - win the cup when we are promoted - why not..

Will be happy for us to get to the final this year without having played a premier league team along the way, meaning we could still rest key players and by the time the final came around we would be promoted anyway so win win !!

Yeah but ... they were on the telly, and we got quite far in the cup competitions ... where all the best teams play.

By the way ... no-one can tell me that the club wasn't dying on its arse before Clough came in. The administrators were lurking - we all know that. Not as grave as in the 80s by a country mile of course ... but we were in a sodding mess.

The club was an absolute mess before Clough came in, no argument on that. I never heard anything about administration though.

About half the games played in the premiership every week are televised. If that was my motivation I'd want promotion over cup success.

The club was an absolute mess before Clough came in, no argument on that. I never heard anything about administration though.

About half the games played in the premiership every week are televised. If that was my motivation I'd want promotion over cup success.

Amigo, amigo, amigo . :wacko:

Nowhere near financial trouble. There's a difference between cutting costs and being in debt! There were no wolves at the door! We still have the same owners ffs!

That's a complete and utter fabrication of the truth. I don't wish to rake over old coals because there are still grudges borne by some in both the pro and anti-Gadsby camps, but whereas Administration was very much an issue when the 3 Amigos owned raped and pillaged the club, it was not the case when Davies or even Jewell were trying to spend their way out of trouble under the LoG, neither was it the case when the club was sold to GSE.

Why do people feel that they have to post gross exaggerations to make a point?

The majority are voting for promotion over a cup win.

It's only a bit of fun, a hypothetical situation so it really doesn't matter that most of you are wrong.

Promotion over FA Cup?

That's it lads....call off the Cup.....your whole Cup run up to now has been worthless, sorry boys, let's just stay at home and watch Sky instead on Saturday.

:ph34r:

FA Cup by a mile, would love it . I don't care for promotion,I will take it or leave it (obviously enjoy the day if we do go up) for me Sky can take their money and disappear and take the Preimer Leauge with them !

Archived