Squad Size: Concerned or not?

Small tight knit group where everyone knows who will play, versus large talented group where few know for sure they will play. 

You answer your own question, really.

Doesn't matter how small or 'tight knit' the squad is - if player's don't think they're going to get a game then they lose motivation. It's all about believing you're going to get a game or have a chance of getting a game. 

If you have an unbalanced squad and 14 strikers [for example] then it becomes more of an issue. I think ours is well balanced. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You answer your own question, really.

Doesn't matter how small or 'tight knit' the squad is - if player's don't think they're going to get a game then they lose motivation. It's all about believing you're going to get a game or have a chance of getting a game. 

If you have an unbalanced squad and 14 strikers [for example] then it becomes more of an issue. I think ours is well balanced.

Don't players also lose motivation if they know thay will be playing even if they are not performing?

Four groups of players in the Giant Squid, sorry, Giant Squad.

1. I am realistically leaving at the end of the season

2. I am on a good contract and always try very hard, I will probably have a wage increase built into my contract and I will leave when I like, (up to end of my contract.

3. I am on loan and trying my best for a permanent contract - Bent

4. I am on loan and trying to impress my parent Club - Lingard

We already have some squad players who may never play for Derby again.

How many players do we now need to stand a reasonable chance of staying up in the Premiership next year? I think that the present 13th in the Premiership has about one point a game. How hard can it be?.

Fernandez at QPR has laid out the way forward for QPR and it is exactly what we are doing at Derby now.

From what the coaching and recruitment team have said, it sounds like all the players are fully aware of the competition and that they have a positive attitude towards this. If they haven't they've been sold, loaned out or simply not brought in.

For that reason I'd so no concern.

When we're in the Prem we can loan out our young superstars to top 6 Championship clubs  :cool:

I think this is why the club has invested in a decent U21 squad.

If they are not going to make the first team then make the U21 a brilliant team to play in too, it's still valuable learning.

You only have to look at what the likes of Man City have done with their U21 set up to see that you can still cultivate talent outside of first team football.

McClaren said that Russell will be back in training at the end of next week, and with him saying Thorne is very close to a return, our squad is close too being fully fit...

Eustace, Whitbread and Barker are all sill injured, but looking at the strength of the squad I can only see them now being surplus to requirements in the summer. Bennett is also out, but with the loanees coming, that shouldn't be an issue...

So our squad for the Reading/Sheff W could be...

Grant

Roos

Christie

Shotton

Buxton

Albentosa

Keogh

Forsyth

Warnock

Naylor

Bryson

Hendrick

Hughes

Thorne

Mascarrell

Ince

Lingard

Ward

Dawkins

Russell

Bent

Martin

That doesn't even include some of the top u21 players who (could?) make the bench, and have in the past.

Unbelievable depth. 22 players who have started this season. Too many players? Who knows?

Who misses out on the bench?

McClaren said that Russell will be back in training at the end of next week, and with him saying Thorne is very close to a return, our squad is close too being fully fit...

Eustace, Whitbread and Barker are all sill injured, but looking at the strength of the squad I can only see them now being surplus to requirements in the summer. Bennett is also out, but with the loanees coming, that shouldn't be an issue...

Grant

Roos

Christie

Shotton

Buxton

Albentosa

Keogh

Forsyth

Warnock

Naylor

Bryson

Hendrick

Hughes

Thorne

Mascarrell

Ince

Lingard

Ward

Dawkins

Russell

Bent

Martin

That doesn't even include some of the top u21 players who (could?) make the bench, and have in the past.

Unbelievable depth. 22 players who have started this season. Too many players? Who knows?

For me, once all the lads have settled in the players nailed on for not even making the bench are:

Dawkins, Buxton and Naylor

On top of this, rarely making the bench I see:

Bryson, Ward

Nailed on bench warmers:

Bent, Mascarell, Shotton, Roose

All others are cometing for places in the starting 11.

Grant

Roos

Christie

Shotton

Buxton

Albentosa

Keogh

Forsyth

Warnock

Naylor

Bryson

Hendrick

Hughes

Thorne

Mascarrell

Ince

Lingard

Ward

Dawkins

Russell

Bent

Martin

I was running thru the squad today and we have 1 adequate replacement for every position. Defence and Gk's are 0bvious. 3 DM. Dawkins and Hughes playmakers. Hendrick and Bryson for other birth.

Thankfully the FA Cup allows us to flex the squad.

So when everyone is fit, we're looking at something like:

Starting XI: Grant, Christie, Keogh, Albentosa, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Hendrick, Russell, Ince, Martin

Bench: Roos, Shotton, Mascarell, Bryson, Ward, Dawkins, Bent

First teamers not even on bench: Warnock, Buxton, Eustace, Lingaard

Youth teamers: Bennett, Calero

Stragglers: Whitbread, Naylor, Barker

Obviously you can shuffle the names around a bit, and injuries will affect things, but that's 4 definite first teamers what would expect to be playing every week, that aren't even going to make the bench. Plus Bennett and the other youth players who are going to be nowhere near getting a look in. McClaren is going to have a big job on his hands keeping that lot happy.

Bucko out of the 11 and not on bench?

Bucko out of the 11 and not on bench?

On the assumption that Keogh as captain and albentosa as the major new signing are going to be starting, and that shotton is far more versatile so more useful to have on the bench, bucko doesn't make the squad. Not totally happy about it, but I expect that's what will happen.

Its good that Steve does not automatically pick his new signings over established players. Hell of a change from some managers around. 

That alone gives me confidence that we are on the right track.

My only concern is, longer term, would the likes of Hughes and Hendrick have been given so many games to show how good they are?

Its a difficult situation in one way as the greater the success, the lesser chance of young players being given a fair chance.

Many managers are very loathe to gamble on unproven kids nowadays. Indeed, people like Pulis actively decide not to risk youngsters and prefer to stick with experienced pro's.

We don't exactly know the longer term plan, do we?

It's great that we don't have to count to our youngsters as a back up if things started to go wrong. It couldn't be worse time to do it, second in the league with extremely tight at the top.

Archived