Albentosa

Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes

Hendrick

Russell

Ince

Martin

Plus: Roos, Buxton, Mascarell, Bryson, Lingaard, Bent, Warnock, Ward, Dawkins, Shotton, Eustace

Ridiculous options and easily the best I've felt about the club in so long!

Now to get back where we belong!

Grant

Christie Keogh Albentosa Forsyth

Thorne  Mascarell

Russell         Hughes     Ince

Martin

Is a Thorne/Mascarell  'double pivot'  plausible ? 

Bench would be :  Roos Shotton Warnock Bryson Hendrick Lingard Bent,  which would mean Buxton, Eustace and Dawkins would miss out altogether, which seems incredibly harsh.  I'm assuming Ward would be out with a thigh strain.   A good problem to have.

wouldn't like to be the manager as their will be some top championship players no even stripped on a Saturday if every one is fit , that over the course of time causes problems within a squad

I think that problem is lessened by us being in a title race. And I think McClaren has been consistent throughout his time here so far in that any new signings do not go straight into the first 11. He has always stressed the importance of the squad. Keeps all the players on their toes.

It's the strongest squad we've had for years, there are so many possibilities.

We have the players to fit 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-1-2...you name it, we could play it.

I have a feeling that the 11 players that we will see the most out of for the next couple of months will be:

Grant

Shotton/Christie
Keogh
Albentosa
Forsyth

Thorne
Hendrick
Hughes

Ince
Ward
Martin

That's one hell of a first 11, but the opportunity to mix things up and push for wins when plan A isn't working are what make this squad really exciting. 

Ward and Ince aren't getting joy? Swap one of them for Lingard, Russell (when fit) or Bennett. That's not working? Let's go 4-2-4 and replace Hendrick with Bent. We've scored and we need to see the game out? Get Dawkins on and let him, Hughes and Thorne keep possession and see the game out whilst Martin and Bent continue to apply pressure up top. 

wouldn't like to be the manager as their will be some top championship players no even stripped on a Saturday if every one is fit , that over the course of time causes problems within a squad

It's not a problem at all when we have half a dozen injuries though - and that's where we are at the moment.

-----------------------Grant----------------------

Shotton---Albentosa----Buxton----Forsyth

----------------------Thorne---------------------

----------------Hughes---Hendrick------------

Russell-------------Martin----------------Ince

Subs: Roos, Keogh, Warnock, Bryson, Mascarell, Ward, Bent

Scary thing is that even then you're leaving out Christie, Dawkins, Lingard, Eustace, Bennett completely. I'm glad I'm not McClaren, what a headache!

I've just wrote something on it and it's ridiculously hard - when you type the direct first-team squad out. Dismissing players like Bennett, Naylor...etc it's madness.

This is what I deamed to be first-team squad picks...

Full First-team squad: Lee Grant, Kelle Roos; Cyrus Christie, Ryan Shotton, Richard Keogh, Jake Buxton, Raul Albentosa, Craig Forsyth, Stephen Warnock; George Thorne, John Eustace, Omar Mascarell, Will Hughes, Craig Bryson, Jeff Hendrick; Tom Ince, Jesse Lingard, Jamie Ward, Johnny Russell, Simon Dawkins, Darren Bent and Chris Martin

Now, I went... Grant, Christie, Albentosa, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Ince and Martin. However, you could swap in any number of players and it would still be a great line-up. 

Albentosa still has question marks but I just keep thinking to myself: would Buxton or Keogh demand the same level of respect in a similar position - did Shotton for Stoke? The answer is no. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but that's how I see it. 

You would say none of those players would demand less than a 7 if you were to rate their ability in the Championship anyway.

I've just wrote something on it and it's ridiculously hard - when you type the direct first-team squad out. Dismissing players like Bennett, Naylor...etc it's madness.

This is what I deamed to be first-team squad picks...

Full First-team squad: Lee Grant, Kelle Roos; Cyrus Christie, Ryan Shotton, Richard Keogh, Jake Buxton, Raul Albentosa, Craig Forsyth, Stephen Warnock; George Thorne, John Eustace, Omar Mascarell, Will Hughes, Craig Bryson, Jeff Hendrick; Tom Ince, Jesse Lingard, Jamie Ward, Johnny Russell, Simon Dawkins, Darren Bent and Chris Martin

Now, I went... Grant, Christie, Albentosa, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Ince and Martin. However, you could swap in any number of players and it would still be a great line-up. 

Albentosa still has question marks but I just keep thinking to myself: would Buxton or Keogh demand the same level of respect in a similar position - did Shotton for Stoke? The answer is no. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but that's how I see it. 

You would say none of those players would demand less than a 7 if you were to rate their ability in the Championship anyway.

Yep, I would definitely say that Albentosa demands a 7 in the Championship. Despite not playing a league game for us yet :rolleyes:

Yep, I would definitely say that Albentosa demands a 7 in the Championship. Despite not playing a league game for us yet :rolleyes:

Well, by all accounts sounds like he was able to achieve that level in La Liga, so unless Troy Deeney is better than Messi.. Callum Wilson better than Ronaldo.. I have no qualms about thinking he isn't going to absolutely foul. 

It also stands to reason that you could then say that about any player from any foreign league. Conor Sammon is a better Championship striker than Lionel Messi - more goals and assists and everything at this level  :ph34r:

Archived