Hughes and Bennett

Carl Sagan

I remember an interview with Mason Bennett ages ago when he said how inspiring Will Hughes was to the rest of the academy and how it helped him breaking into the first team, because he'd played with Hughes before.

Today, Will was really his mentor. Mason came on, a bit nervous again and bursting to make an impression, and got booked even before he's touched the ball. Hughes was straight there, arm round Bennett's shoulder, talking to him. And the same thing seemed to happen several times after, with Will being a great influence nursing him through the game. 

Almost captain material?

Not to mention the understanding they have, with Hughes twice putting Bennett through on goal (and being prepared to take the hit the second time, which the idiot ref blew up for).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Thorne is more captain material than Hughes.

Pleased Bennett is being given some game time, he is obvioulsy a bit raw and is like a bull in a china shop at time, but he gets into some good positions and with a bit of nurturing from the likes of Bent i think he'll come good.

We ended the game with 4 academy players on the pitch as well (inlcuding Granty).

Id be surprised if he was captain much in the rest of his career.

Theres a lot of things Hughes has, which be-lie his years. But im not sure being a captain is one of them.

Having said that, Michael owen was made captain, so maybe some foolish manager will pick a captain based on ability and compusure above leadership and organising team mates.

I remember an interview with Mason Bennett ages ago when he said how inspiring Will Hughes was to the rest of the academy and how it helped him breaking into the first team, because he'd played with Hughes before.

Today, Will was really his mentor. Mason came on, a bit nervous again and bursting to make an impression, and got booked even before he's touched the ball. Hughes was straight there, arm round Bennett's shoulder, talking to him. And the same thing seemed to happen several times after, with Will being a great influence nursing him through the game. 

Almost captain material?

Not to mention the understanding they have, with Hughes twice putting Bennett through on goal (and being prepared to take the hit the second time, which the idiot ref blew up for).

Great post, Sagan. Thanks for this.

Keogh, Buxton, Eustace, Martin, Grant, probably Thorne as has been mentioned.

All above Hughes in the pecking order for good captaincy in my opinion. When mcclaren takes about the senior players in the dressing room and taking on board their opinions. This is who he means.

Bennett did well today. He adds a real physical presence and positions himself well. He's also never played for a consistent number of games in a quality team before, which we now are.

I think he's probably capable of filling the fourth winger role for the rest of the season. Pleased for him, and it's always nice to see academy players do well.

Cant see Bennett ever making it with us.

Needs to establish a position, and I dont think he's a winger, never looks like beating his man. Probably end up a decent lower league striker.

He did a decent job on Baptiste, EKR - who we wanted to sign a while back and who's no mug - and created Bent's second goal against Blackburn.

I don't think we have wingers as such - in the way of Matthews or Hinton or Robertson - people who stuck on the touchline and

had a trick or two before crossing the ball for a centre forward. There's not that many in football as a whole any more. In the modern way I think Mason could make a good career for himself. It'll be interesting to see if he develops over the next season or so.

Cant see Bennett ever making it with us.

Needs to establish a position, and I dont think he's a winger, never looks like beating his man. Probably end up a decent lower league striker. 

He just seemed to do his tricks at the wrong time and although he's fast he was a tad short on pace when he tried to run past the right back. He also could have buried Will's nice little chip set up. Mind you, Ibe wasn't much better when he first started with us. 

Our next Captain will be Raul Albentosa. 

to the tune of okey cokey

You put yer left leg in

yer left leg out

in out, in out

you shake it all about

you do the albentosa

and you turn around

thats what its all about 

woooah the albentosa, wooooah the albentosa!

Archived