Hughes and Bennett

Carl Sagan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bennett did well today. He adds a real physical presence and positions himself well. He's also never played for a consistent number of games in a quality team before, which we now are.

I think he's probably capable of filling the fourth winger role for the rest of the season. Pleased for him, and it's always nice to see academy players do well.

He's Mason Bennett, he's one of our own....

with every game, Will Hughes is gaining a sort of seniority. Where he was once quiet and unassuming, just letting his football do the talking, he's now developing a confident and confronting personality, I think maybe in a couple of seasons, he will be a properly vocal leader on the pitch. More like a Rob Lee than a Rob Van Der Laan, but still leading.

Very raw, but if he's going to utilise his strengths he really needs to work on his decision making. If he learns quickly, he could be a top player.

Even though he has bulked out and has a man's body, he still plays like a boy. Someone needs to take him to one side and get him to work on composure. Not skills, not work-rate but composure. When he charges down the wing, he needs to be aware of his end product. I just get the impression he only ever thinks one step ahead. At this level, that's not enough. 

As you say, he has the attributes - he just needs the experience and the help of senior pros. It was obvious his team-mates were willing him on, though I saw more than one gesturing he should keep his chin up. I wonder if that's why he hasn't progressed as quickly as many predicted?

Even though he has bulked out and has a man's body, he still plays like a boy. Someone needs to take him to one side and get him to work on composure. Not skills, not work-rate but composure. When he charges down the wing, he needs to be aware of his end product. I just get the impression he only ever thinks one step ahead. At this level, that's not enough.

As you say, he has the attributes - he just needs the experience and the help of senior pros. It was obvious his team-mates were willing him on, though I saw more than one gesturing he should keep his chin up. I wonder if that's why he hasn't progressed as quickly as many predicted?

Composure is the right word, he needs to realise that buying us space and relieving pressure is just as critical as trying to kick and run past two defenders, losing it and putting us on the back foot again. If he gets that right, he could be very useful.

I remember an interview with Mason Bennett ages ago when he said how inspiring Will Hughes was to the rest of the academy and how it helped him breaking into the first team, because he'd played with Hughes before.

Today, Will was really his mentor. Mason came on, a bit nervous again and bursting to make an impression, and got booked even before he's touched the ball. Hughes was straight there, arm round Bennett's shoulder, talking to him. And the same thing seemed to happen several times after, with Will being a great influence nursing him through the game. 

Almost captain material?

Not to mention the understanding they have, with Hughes twice putting Bennett through on goal (and being prepared to take the hit the second time, which the idiot ref blew up for).

Great post... You have a like from me.

Keogh, Buxton, Eustace, Martin, Grant, probably Thorne as has been mentioned.

All above Hughes in the pecking order for good captaincy in my opinion. When mcclaren takes about the senior players in the dressing room and taking on board their opinions. This is who he means.

I want to live in your alternative universe.

I want to live in your alternative universe.

I actually think he's correct at this exact moment in time. But the rate that Will Hughes is maturing leads me to think by this time next season, he'll be as suitable to lead this team as anyone in that list.

Cant see Bennett ever making it with us.

Needs to establish a position, and I dont think he's a winger, never looks like beating his man. Probably end up a decent lower league striker. 

Giles Barnes impressed me more tbh. Be interesting to see if Mason can step up.

Captain Pecking Order right now for me is:

1. Keogh 2. Grant  3. Hughes

in the future maybe add: Thorne, Albentosa, Russell, Bent, Warnock

Don't care about age, you have to be a regular and a leader to be Captain. Will is that.

with every game, Will Hughes is gaining a sort of seniority. Where he was once quiet and unassuming, just letting his football do the talking, he's now developing a confident and confronting personality, I think maybe in a couple of seasons, he will be a properly vocal leader on the pitch. More like a Rob Lee than a Rob Van Der Laan, but still leading.

I'd agree with that and I thought Will might start to really blossom this year.I can only see him getting better and better from hereon.

I think some of the comments about Mason are a bit unfair.It can be hard for senior players to make an impact in cameo appearances,so a young player is bound to feel the pressure to perform,yet young players have to be allowed to make mistakes in order to learn-that's the price you always have to pay in order to develop a young talent.I'd like to see him given a start in the near future (and for the fans to be patient with him + give him loads of encouragement).

I remember an interview with Mason Bennett ages ago when he said how inspiring Will Hughes was to the rest of the academy and how it helped him breaking into the first team, because he'd played with Hughes before.

Today, Will was really his mentor. Mason came on, a bit nervous again and bursting to make an impression, and got booked even before he's touched the ball. Hughes was straight there, arm round Bennett's shoulder, talking to him. And the same thing seemed to happen several times after, with Will being a great influence nursing him through the game. 

Almost captain material?

Not to mention the understanding they have, with Hughes twice putting Bennett through on goal (and being prepared to take the hit the second time, which the idiot ref blew up for).

Tbh I just thought he had his arm round and was talking to him as he was lining them up to defend the free kick Mason had just given away.

captain 'material' is often intangible.

He's definately matured in the last 12mths, but we've all seen players prove themselves all over the park, and then been asked to be captain and failed miserably or it has detracted from the other talents that got them there in the first place.

I don't know Hughes' temperament so it's difficult to say. But he is improving drastically and it does seem that it's not just his footballing prowess, but his tenacity, confidence and physicality that are improving.

Just seems the wrong time to be burdening him with things like that.

How can people be labelling Albentosa a future captain when we've only seen 70 minutes of him against Chesterfield?

He played 45 mintues mate not 70minutes. Lol

Archived