Midfield

Dimmu

No, what I am saying is that the way people judge 'form' is a myth.

In one game a player can score a hat-trick, in the next game the same player could create a load of chances, make several successful tackles and interceptions but not have a shot on target. That player has been effective in both of the games, yet some would suggest the first game was 'form' and the 2nd game was not on form.

Football games can be won and lost in many ways, and players that can only play one way are no use in the modern game. What I'm saying is that just because Bryson hasn't got 10 goals already this season does not mean he's playing badly or out of form, it just means he's playing differently, against different opposition and contributing in a different way.

The myth is that some people say he's playing poorly, then everyone accepts that as a fact. In the same way people say players like Milner or Carrick are useless, that then becomes 'fact' when it's far from the truth.

Someone earlier said they watched highlights and then realised that their first assessment of Hendrick's performance was perhaps unfair. It's all subjective and how we watch the games.

I know that if I am a bit drunk at a game, my opinion is somewhat influenced by those surrounding me, their groans cloud my 'live' judgement, that's why I always watch the game back when alone to see it again without prejudice.

Whether it is perceived as myth or not you say Bryson has been contributing in a different way this season, I would argue he has simply been contributing less.

Irrespective of whether Bryson or Hendrick are coming up against a different proposition in teams stifling our midfield they are not playing as well.

Hendrick is misplacing more passes, having less shots on target per game and not imposing himself on games like he did earlier in the season.

I disagree with your assessment of people's perception of "form" . Yes fans are fickle as you say a player could have 1 good game and score a hatrick then next week play just as well and not score and people would say he is out of form the second week. However Bryson and Hendrick have been contributing 'differently' and a lot less not just from 1 week to the next but for quite a while now so in my opinion it would be right to say they are out of form.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People saying Omar or Thorne.. what about both? Play as Chelsea do. (Not comparing us to Chelsea.)

Grant

Shotton    Keogh    Buxton    Forsyth

Mascarell   Thorne

Russell (when fit)     Hughes     (Ibe Replacement/Ward/Dawkins)

Martin

Thorne, Hughes, Brsyon... Done

Until then it's Omar, Hughes Hendrick

Need someone with a bit of stature in there which Thorne and Hendrick have

Omar in AM role is daft... He's a deep lying midfield playmaker...

When Johnny Russell arrived he was a striker, he's now a converted winger. Craig Forsyth was a left midfielder, and is now a recognised left back. Player's positions aren't set in stone, they can be subject to change.

Russell had previously played our wide and Forsyth had played LWB... 

I'm sure Omar hasn't spent his entire time playing as a DM! He's a midfielder, Pretty sure he could adapt (and probably already has done so for Real Madrid B) playing slightly further up the pitch. I play Sunday league as a right back and can do a competent job at that level in the right midfield position. I'm sure Omar is more adaptable than I am.

Whether it is perceived as myth or not you say Bryson has been contributing in a different way this season, I would argue he has simply been contributing less.

Irrespective of whether Bryson or Hendrick are coming up against a different proposition in teams stifling our midfield they are not playing as well.

Hendrick is misplacing more passes, having less shots on target per game and not imposing himself on games like he did earlier in the season.

I disagree with your assessment of people's perception of "form" . Yes fans are fickle as you say a player could have 1 good game and score a hatrick then next week play just as well and not score and people would say he is out of form the second week. However Bryson and Hendrick have been contributing 'differently' and a lot less not just from 1 week to the next but for quite a while now so in my opinion it would be right to say they are out of form.

this is my point... what exactly constitutes a 'contribution'. I would argue that a goal or two against lesser opposition in one game, and preventing the opposition midfielder from destroying your team when playing a better team in the next game could both be deemed an equal contribution.

I'm not gonna argue that they are putting in the man of match performances of last season, but the game has changed, the opposition's mindset (against us) has changed.

I respect you disagreeing, but I would also guess as a young lad, you've played the game at some level for a team and given your all in two consecutive games, in one you played against a weaker opponent and looked awesome, the next you didn't stand out as much, but your performance was equal in both games. The standard of midfielder in this league seems to have improved in my opinion too, as have the formations changed to match us from last season.

So your saying that Bryson and Hendrick struggling at the moment to find form is a myth???

u don't get it do you , bryso has had injury upon injury this season , how can he be as good as last season when that happens ?

I would say the posters who have explained that every other club try to  nullify our midfield are 100% spot on , will hughes has been terrific the rest not so and still joint top of the league , only means one thing when bryso & hendrick & thorne are all available and playing well derby county will be championees come may

u don't get it do you , bryso has had injury upon injury this season , how can he be as good as last season when that happens ?

I would say the posters who have explained that every other club try to nullify our midfield are 100% spot on , will hughes has been terrific the rest not so and still joint top of the league , only means one thing when bryso & hendrick & thorne are all available and playing well derby county will be championees come may

I get it completely. I have been trying to defend Bryson myself due to the fact he has had injuries. My point was about Mostyn's post relating to fans being too quick to catgeorise players as in or out of form.

I was saying irrelevant of any injuries and how teams are setting up against us and whether their impacts upon games are different they are still not playing as well as they have been in the past hence Hendrick and Bryson are out of form at the moment.

Mostyn you are right and we have a good midfield which includes Mascarell and Thorne coming back.

For all of those claiming Eustace always protected the back 4 well he was subbed against Cardiff at home and we were 2-0 down

Click on highlights

Cardiff's first was from a set play and their second was from some wing play and a deflected cut back... not a lot he could have done about either nor should he have been expected to.

I was at the match and thought Cardiff bossed it until Eustace was subbed as in other drawn games at home early doors this season

We had 72% possession, missed a 1-on-1, had one ruled out for offside, forced the keeper into a wonder-save and scored twice as opposed to them having three shots on target and scoring twice with 22% possession... are you sure you're not thinking of another game in which we were bossed?

Omar in AM role is daft... He's a deep lying midfield playmaker...

No reason he couldn't conduct a game from further up the pitch though!

Hendrick likes to bomb on into the box.

Bryson likes to buzz around Martin and run into the space behind the back four.

When everyone is fit and on form then bryson has been the best attacking option.

I think hendrick finds his natural game stifled if bryson is in the team, because hendrick has to hold his runs otherwise we risk over committing ourselves.

Unfortunately neither hendrick nor bryson is showing consistant good form.

And we didn't help ourselves at times by dropping hughes or moving him into the holding role.

Leon Osman with hughes would be great until hendrick and/or bryson sort their form out.

I was at the match and thought Cardiff bossed it until Eustace was subbed as in other drawn games at home early doors this season

Craig Ramage RD says we haven't lost many when Eustace plays or played but we drew a lot of games early doors at home .

Mascarell came in and we are more fluent attacking wise.

Eustace is injured and Thorne coming back to fitness and Cardiff 2-2 was a long time ago now so prefer to look forward .

Do respect your views though.

Cardiff didn't boss a single minute of that match. We dominated the ball, the territory and all they did was sit back and try long ball counters to Jones. We've played worse than that and won. We've created less than that and scored more. We've defended worse than that and conceded less.

Eustace was subbed because there was no need to a DM. Cardiff had no midfield to play against they had 9/10 behind the ball and 1/2 upfront.

Cardiff at home earlier this season one of those games where Eustace didn't protect the back 4

We were 2-0 down and Eustace was subbed and it ended up 2-2

Click on Highlights

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/free-video-derby-county-2-2-cardiff-city-201415-2229802.aspx?

And there's games when Mascarell didn't protect the back 4 well enough.

So what?

Get over it. It's getting boring now when it's in every thread.

Both players have had more good games than bad. Both have contributed to where we are now. Both play for the same team and both have been dropped. Both have strengths and weaknesses

Stop picking out bits that suit your argument and ignoring the bits that go against it.

Eustace v Mascarell is in about 10 different threads and the answer is still George Thorne from last season. That's how you play the role.

Our midfield is solid, but when Hendrick and Bryson play together it's anything but.

Not enough football intelligence and tactical discipline from those two to get it right.

Has to be Will Hughes alongside one other, and my vote would go to Hendrick rather then Bryson whose game has clearly been scuppered by the opposition defence playing a deeper line.

If he didn't have a decent long shot, Bryson would probably be about as useful as Paul Thirwell in the Phil Brown days.

People saying Omar or Thorne.. what about both? Play as Chelsea do. (Not comparing us to Chelsea.)

Grant

Shotton    Keogh    Buxton    Forsyth

Mascarell   Thorne

Russell (when fit)     Hughes     (Ibe Replacement/Ward/Dawkins)

Martin

We'll have to do something like this if we go up. As you say even Chelsea play this way, just one player "sitting" is asking for it in the Prem, it works currently, but we have been exposed a few tmes

Think this highlights how good Hughes really is. Teams have tried everything to stop him and still many games he's come out with most credit looking a real cut above the rest. Him and Thorne best Derby midfielder we've had since Osman and he wasn't even our player.

Our midfield is solid, but when Hendrick and Bryson play together it's anything but.

Not enough football intelligence and tactical discipline from those two to get it right.

Has to be Will Hughes alongside one other, and my vote would go to Hendrick rather then Bryson whose game has clearly been scuppered by the opposition defence playing a deeper line.

If he didn't have a decent long shot, Bryson would probably be about as useful as Paul Thirwell in the Phil Brown days.

Bit harsh this, but perhaps you might be looking for bites (or one bite). It is clear to me that Smac now prefers Hendrick to Bryso, and even when he started Craig against Forest he described his decision pre-match as tactical but did not elaborate. I think there is a lot more growth to come from Jeff where Craig has probably peaked. Jeff will learn from playing with Omar, Will, Simon and George, not just technical skills but awareness and positional sense. Craig cannot teach or show him those disciplines as he doesn't really have it himself. A lot of posters last season and early this were scratching their head why Craig was not getting the opportunity to play for Scotland, but I genuinely always thought the reason was that Craig is ideal in games where you propose an attack minded open game approach, but Scotland rarely have uncompetitive games where they can play in such a style.

Archived