Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

Mafiabob

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought the defence was rock solid for 95% of the game. Keogh really solid, and I'm not normally his biggest fan.

For me...

Grant 8

Shotton 8

Buxton 7

Keogh 8/9

Forsyth 7

Mascarell 7

Hendrick 6/7

Hughes 9/10

Martin 6/7

Ward 7

Dawkins 6

Bent 8

Bennett 7 (not on long)

Just noticed that Blackburn have NOT won an away game against a side in the top half of the table this season.

Played 6 W 0 D 2 L 4 .

Make that 5 loss :D

Grant 7 - one particularly great save at 1-0 when we dropped a bit too deep

Shotton 8 - excellent display full of composure and better on ball than expected

Forsyth 7 - nice to see him getting forward a lot more

Keogh 8 - fine display with some great blocks

Buxton 7 - battled hard

Mascarell 9 - his best display for Derby, superb passes and tackles too!

Hughes 8 - a joy to watch a times

Hendrick 7 - overall effective enough though a bit hit and miss

Martin 7 - good battle with their centre half

Dawkins 6 - showed glimpses of his best but only in fleeting spells

Ward 6 - a game where things nearly happened for him but not quite

Subs

Bent 8 - cant argue with the end product

Bennett 7 - two good breaks, involved in second goal

Sounded like the defence was still a bit panicky. Can anyone confirm how they played at the back?

Thought we looked much safer tonight apart from a spell when we dropped too deep after scoring. Shotton helped keep us calmer though I felt.

Shotton, Forsyth and Hughes were very, very good.

Blackburn were hoof merchants and only looked dangerous on the counter. We did have a couple of scares but despite them having a couple of easy chances there was no real feeling of worry.

Ward and Dawkins were pretty poor imo. Big fan of Dawkins but it took too long for him to get in the game. He grew into it but it took too long

Ward was typical. Huff and puff but nothing much else. Might have been the odd decent ball but I can't remember more than 1. He seems to have got himself back on set pieces somehow. He saw a lot of the ball.

Mascarell was brilliant. Name something you expect a DM to do and he did it. Last ditch tackles, bringing the ball down to play, switching the play... everything.

Martin didn't get much out the referee and many of his touches were a bit heavy. He had his moments but they were few.

Don't know if it took so long to capitalise on our dominance because Rovers defended quite well (good defenders individually) or if Dawkins, Martin and Ward lacked that cutting edge.

Bent has scored 3 goals this week and none further than 6 yards. He reacts so fast. He nearly broke free for a 1v1 but the ball just got stuck behind him.

Oh and Grant pulled off a stunning save at 1-0

Grant 7 - Made a great save but some of his kicking was poor

Shotton 7 - One or two stray passes but solid and surpising steady going forward

Forsyth 6 - Didn't really do a lot but didn't need to

Keogh 8 - Impressive. Made a few key blocks at key times

Buxton 6 - Struggled against their strong strikers in my opinion and his distribution was poor

Mascarell 8 - Nice passing and made a fantastic goal saving tackle in the second half

Hughes 8 - First half was absolutely magic but faded a bit in the second

Hendrick 5 - Where has the old Hendrick gone? Didn't want the ball and offerd nothing

Martin 6 - Had a hard time but linked up well at times

Dawkins 6 - Kept the ball well but didn't really offer us anything going forward

Ward 7 - Were used to our wingers cutting in but he got past his man numerous times and put in good deliveries

Bent 8 - His movement is exactly what we have needed! 2 good goals

Bennett 7 - His speed was frightening, with better decision making he will go far

It was a very good win, we was made to work hard and Blackburn set up to make it difficult for us. Credit to them, really. 

Grant - 8 - he was very good when called upon and we needed him to make a couple of good saves. 

Shotton - 7 - very good performance. I think Christie is the better player, but as said, he hasn't been up to it recently. Shotton was a lot more accomplished than I previously gave him credit for. Strong in the air, in the tackle and so on. 

Keogh - 9 - I think you only have to look at the stats, it was a great performance. He made 12 clearances and blocked 4 shots. He was clever in defence and helped his teammates out. One of his best this season.

Buxton - 7 - He was very solid in defence, battled well and played some great balls around the pitch. He made some hiccups, but all in all a good performance.

Forsyth - 7 - I thought his final product wasn't what should have been but defensively, again, he was unflappable. I have no doubts that he is the best defensive full-back in the division, he just doesn't seem to get beaten.

Mascarell - 8 - a few hiccups but he has made 80 touches - 20 more than anyone else on the pitch - and controlled the game.  He did everything anyone would want in a defensive midfielder tonight. Once again, proving that despite he has his bad games more often than not he's reliable, solid and a good option.

Hughes - 9 MOTM - extremely classy performance tonight, he bossed the midfield and will be disappointed to not get an assists or goal for his efforts. Nevertheless, he was on another level tonight.

Hendrick - 5 - I wasn't too ecstatic about his performance, I thought he should have perhaps put himself out a bit more. He seems to be a passenger for large periods. 

Ward - 6 - He put himself about and gave us an outlet. He just had a bad final ball and in the end it was a forgettable performance.

Dawkins - 5 - he was tidy but never really put his mark on the game. Although I did think he started the second half strongly, he seemed to lose confidence really quickly and went back into his usual routine. I do think he is a centre midfielder being played out wide, though. 

Martin - 7 - I thought his link up play was first rate and was unfortunate not to score. It just didn't fall right for him.

Bent - 8 - He surprised me. Not because he scored twice but because he showed great ability with his back to goal. It doesn't take a genuis to work out why a club once played over

Shotton has got one hell of a hoof on him, doesn't seem to need any back lift he can just boot it miles.

I thought it was a steady performance overall.

Keogh and Bucko were much improved.

Fullbacks were good, though Shotton does make the odd bad pass.

Hughes excellent as always

Mascarell very good 

Hendrick, Ward, Dawkins poor.

Martin anonymous until about 70 mins.

Bent, brilliant.

Oh and one absolutley sublime save from Grant, apart from that had nowt to do.

Young Mason looks like a real athlete too.

Archived