Richard Keogh (maybe a duplicate thread)

South Ram

We must be looking at a completely different player or have ranging views on his qualities. Do you rate all players on a decent / disaster scale or is it just reserved for Richard Keogh? As mentioned before, his reading of the game is under-rated in my opinion... certainly no worse than any of the other defenders.

His mistakes as a centre back stand out. If he has the ability to ready the game well why is he always having to make last ditch tackles. Not only that, why does he play on his ass so much? He lacks control in what he does.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keogh was class last night, I get frustrated by his ocassional mistakes, but he was a rock last night. Shame he can't shake that tendancy to make critical mistakes and he could still be a class defender. As for the Premiership I think there have been worse players than Keoghr playing CB in the Premiership, I don't see why he doesn't deserve a crack.

I agree that he played very well last night and I commented on this on the way out of the ground. I have no problem with him having a crack at the Premiership - maybe with Bournemouth.

No, it's not coincidence IMO. QPR, Forest, Middlebrough this season alone. I could get the highlights out from last season to confirm, but I'm pretty sure his mistakes cost us games. He made mistakes against both Leicester and Burnley!

If it was coincidence, it wouldn't always be the same bloke falling on his arse or passing directly to the bloke about to score!

He only played against Leicester at home in the league and away in the cup (he was injured for the 4-1 mauling) and so all three goals we conceded from them were from set pieces at which he was at fault for none of them going in. I'll be fair and let you have the fact that Leicester's best chance from open play in the home loss was from a Keogh mistake (incidentally, it was the first clip on the highlights!) but other than that he wasn't at fault for anything.

He only played against Leicester at home in the league and away in the cup (he was injured for the 4-1 mauling) and so all three goals we conceded from them were from set pieces at which he was at fault for none of them going in. I'll be fair and let you have the fact that Leicester's best chance from open play in the home loss was from a Keogh mistake (incidentally, it was the first clip on the highlights!) but other than that he wasn't at fault for anything.

Hmm - thanks for clearing that up - not like Mostyn to blow hot air out of his 'arris! I'm shocked!

I'd disagree with this. Last night, at some point when Derby were exerting some pressure in the Blackburn area in the first half, the ball looped out and I think it might have been Hughes who challenged for a header on the edge of their area. Keogh showed great reading of the game I thought by battling to get in front of King midway in their half as he anticipated correctly that Hughes wouldn't win the header. Keogh's anticipation meant he quelled the opportunity for Blackburn to relieve some of the pressure as he got to the ball and played it wide. I turned around and said, "I bet that sort of thing will continue to go unnoticed about Keogh's game" and sir, you have proven me right. I think you are doing him a dis-service and continue to laud far too much praise on Buxton.

Buxton for me is completely the opposite. He is a reactionary defender in my view. He often gives fouls away as he's having to go over the top or through a striker as he hasn't anticipated the pass.

Tomato... tomato I guess.

So at some point last night he predicted that a player that rarely wins a header due to his size, wouldn't win a header?

Phew.

You can't say Keogh shouldn't be bothered by abuse from his own fans because he earns xxx and it's part of being a footballer.

What he earns has nothing to do with anything. He's not paid to take abuse from fans. To a certain extent he has to accept abuse from fans (although did anyone think of that when they were a Sunday league player dreaming of playing for England one day?). Not his own fans though.

Taking abuse from away fans a player should try to use as a positive. Use it to drive you. From his own fans? In some lads it might drive them. In others they might lose their drive. Shoulders slump, heads down, start playing the most basic game.

But when people say "if I was on

So at some point last night he predicted that a player that rarely wins a header due to his size, wouldn't win a header?

Phew.

It was an example. You make continued sweeping statements backed up by odd examples. So when is anticipation good reading of the game and when is it expected? I guess it must be dependent on whether Keogh or Buxton is the subject of the conversation.

By the way... Will Hughes is at least 6' (dcfc.co.uk put him at 6'1") and the player he was contesting the challenge with was no bigger than he... just saying

No, it's not coincidence IMO. QPR, Forest, Middlebrough this season alone. I could get the highlights out from last season to confirm, but I'm pretty sure his mistakes cost us games. He made mistakes against both Leicester and Burnley!

If it was coincidence, it wouldn't always be the same bloke falling on his arse or passing directly to the bloke about to score!

I hate this sweeping statement. It's bullsh!t. It doesn't take into account any other events occurring in the other 95 minutes by the other 21+ players. Can people stop making themselves look like clowns by saying this rubbish.

Here's a situation (apologies for my satirical nature!):

Your striker repeatedly has shots saved by opposing goalkeeper.

Your midfielder shoots wide when other team-mates are in support and arguably better placed to shoot

Your defender makes two excellent tackles to thwart opposition team and continually heads away long balls

Last minute...

Your striker loses possession and the ball goes forward

Your defender cuts it out but his clearance goes straight to an opposition player

Opposition player scores

You lose

Cue forum meltdown with defender being the culprit again for his mistakes cost us games

p.s. didn't Buxton have his @rsed served to him on toast by Danny Ings last season at home versus Burnley? But yet, Keogh continues to get berated. Why the need to bring old games up with distorted views in attempt to continue to beat a DCFC player with the same boring stick yet ignore anything else the guy does or other players is beyond me.

Phew.

What is it with "fans"

Something good is pointed out, snuffing out a break at inception ......and you feel nothing special even though Hughes is 6'

Never ever ever let facts get in your myopic view

The fact these views are held over our captain shows why the premier league aint gonna be as enjoyable as last time...when full support was given to team, way beyond that that was owed. All goals come from mistakes. You even moan about the last ditch challenges and blocks. That....implies heavily you would rather those blocks did not occur and you can waltz along with a tiny tiny bit if evidence that keogh is ****.

All this talk of opinions bla bla bla.....there is a point where some people argue black is white cos they want to.....and they hate thought of re-Appraising events. Any re-appraisal will see you have to so far back track you can't stomach it ......reality indeed bites

It is not something to be proud of, holding of a dumb opinion.....it has broken out in society as a way of covering up stupidity...

Do you not think,it absurd to berate and slag keogh off during such a great defensive run? Statistically we will soon concede a few goals (hopefully still win) but I dread the flawed analysis of the next goal we concede.

Who...yes who .....do you place as at fault for the florist winner ? And you should be able to,spot 4 or 5 persons involved.......and one, yes one had the chance to stop the goal,and did nt quite manage it.

You can't let go...you can't countenance that Keogh is involved in a superb defensive unit...that contains Christie who is far from the best at defending (yet a more than worthy team member)

Keogh's desire to lead has Omar moving into tackles way quicker than he ever initially did.

You will be glad I will rise to no more pathetic opinions of keogh ....... Just smile to myself that society is a very dumbed down place and opinions are in vogue regardless of their accuracy and relevance.

It is not an opinion to say our defence has been superb these last six games,

It is a fact...met by your opinion of "keogh is still crap"

Joker

There are plenty on this forum who have been very very unfair on players, and proven wrong. I changed my opinion on Buxton about 2 years ago. I was hoping to change it on Keogh, but I cannot see it.

Try appreciating the actual results these last 6 games....and yes I know it will change, and yes I know we will soon concede.

As a reasoned poster can you not see florists winner was not Keogh's fault .

Try appreciating the actual results these last 6 games....and yes I know it will change, and yes I know we will soon concede.

As a reasoned poster can you not see florists winner was not Keogh's fault .

I've never mentioned Forest's winner. Their equaliser though....

Missed the point again.......Bananas....

Taking abuse from own fans will affect confidence (only slightly, but we are heading to near hysteria with fan comments at games now ) and potentially to a small degree performance. So great outcome to berate a player during a game.....

And I accept you don't during a game, you fully support keogh and whole team. After witnessing another win and clean sheet you then take to having an "opinion" keogh is crap...and quote games he never played in, goals conceded that were plainly not his fault

1. I have never quoted games he never played in so I think you might be getting me confused with someone else there. 

2. I said in my original post that I didn't agree that fans berated players, and I ASKED was there not a bit of 'get on with it' about it? I asked that. People can say yes there is, or no there isn't. It's a question. I personally think that as a captain and professional, there is a bit of get on with it about it.

And as for the flaming essay you wrote before that, I can't even be arsed to reply with anything but 'Bananas'.

I didn't actually blame you for Forests winner. I just don't rate you particularly highly. You have good games, you have bad games. I just think that when the pressure is really on, you struggle. No hard feelings Richard, it's just a forum. 

Archived