Richard Keogh (maybe a duplicate thread)

South Ram

He's not a choker sorry. Keogh is a tower of power and I don't give a rats about his rare miscues (many of which I believe are down to the one footedness thing). He saves our derriere over and over, he's a tower of power, a leader, and his runs are orgasmic. I think when Albentosa settles in we will have our 2 premier league ready centre halves, and we will keep clean sheets in whatever league we are in. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not a choker sorry. Keogh is a tower of power and I don't give a rats about his rare miscues (many of which I believe are down to the one footedness thing). He saves our derriere over and over, he's a tower of power, a leader, and his runs are orgasmic. I think when Albentosa settles in we will have our 2 premier league ready centre halves, and we will keep clean sheets in whatever league we are in. 

You're just a walking buzzword. 

Tower of power is a new one though. What happened to stud?

Keogh was fantastic last night, and that's not an overstatement either. There is really no debate. We will see Bucko moved out as the season progresses, with Albentosa taking over the other centre half spot. The only downer on Keogh is his inability to score a few goals, and his excessive right footedness. 

We are all entitled to our opinion. Well, we are meant to be, but if you honestly believe that Keogh will make the step up to the Premier League, then I would strongly strongly question that. 

Was Keogh better than Buxton? How so? 

We are all entitled to our opinion. Well, we are meant to be, but if you honestly believe that Keogh will make the step up to the Premier League, then I would strongly strongly question that. 

Was Keogh better than Buxton? How so? 

Bucko did well last night, but Keogh was in a different class, Troy. When the season began I would have been happy to see Keogh gone such was my frustration at that one error, but how can you not appreciate the man. He walks out that tunnel and does that trademark aggressive leaping air header thing - "i mean fooking business" - he gets out there and kills himself for the team, he wins almost every contestable header, he's always looking to pass, he can't be beat for pace easily, he throws himself into the tackle if he sees a shot coming. He yells at daydreamers. He's the first upfield to congratulate the goalscorers. Then come the sexy slashing runs. I just think he's really good.  Like I said though, he needs to score more.

Last night, Bucko struggled to contain his man in the air, whereas Keogh smashed his man in the air.  Bucko has heart but he isn't that tall, and he isnt that quick. On a counter attack, Keogh can cope, and Bucko struggles to. JB is a legend but he is not a premier league player, that's why our 'acquiring asset' RA is here. 

You're just a walking buzzword. 

Tower of power is a new one though. What happened to stud?

I sold it to a sporran sporting half scottish mountain goat for a Murray Mint.

Bucko did well last night, but Keogh was in a different class, Troy. When the season began I would have been happy to see Keogh gone such was my frustration at that one error, but how can you not appreciate the man. He walks out that tunnel and does that trademark aggressive leaping air header thing - "i mean fooking business" - he gets out there and kills himself for the team, he wins almost every contestable header, he's always looking to pass, he can't be beat for pace easily, he throws himself into the tackle if he sees a shot coming. He yells at daydreamers. He's the first upfield to congratulate the goalscorers. Then come the sexy slashing runs. I just think he's really good.  Like I said though, he needs to score more.

Last night, Bucko struggled to contain his man in the air, whereas Keogh smashed his man in the air.  Bucko has heart but he isn't that tall, and he isnt that quick. On a counter attack, Keogh can cope, and Bucko struggles to. JB is a legend but he is not a premier league player, that's why our 'acquiring asset' RA is here. 

He played well yesterday. 

I personally couldn't care less about his heart or his 'I mean business' attitude. We would get that from a Conference defender. 

He isn't Premier League class. Not even close unfortunately. No matter how many bizarre faces he pulls. 

I personally couldn't care less about his heart or his 'I mean business' attitude. We would get that from a Conference defender. 

He isn't Premier League class. Not even close unfortunately. No matter how many bizarre faces he pulls. 

Good centre-backs come in pairs - and as a pairing, they can be far better than the sum of the parts. Keogh reads situations pretty well - who knows what he will look like along Albentosa as opposed to Sir Jake. I think you write him off at your peril - after all, the greatest centre-half I ever saw could never handle Frank Large, a 4th division donkey.

Good centre-backs come in pairs - and as a pairing, they can be far better than the sum of the parts. Keogh reads situations pretty well - who knows what he will look like along Albentosa as opposed to Sir Jake. I think you write him off at your peril - after all, the greatest centre-half I ever saw could never handle Frank Large, a 4th division donkey.

I think the opposite. I don't think Keogh does read the game well. Infact I think that is one of his downfalls. His pace, and he is bloody quick, gets him out of a lot of situations. Jake doesn't have pace, but how many times is he required to use it? Very rarely, as he actually is very good at reading the game. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not a giant 'Bucko is God' fan. I think there are limitations there also. His grappling at corners drives me mad. How he got a free kick last night is beyond me. Looked a cert penalty. 

I just think pound for pound, he is a better defender than Keogh. But we all have different opinions. Some folks love the fact that Keogh charges up the pitch. Personally I like how Buxton pings it with either food and plants it on Jamie Wards toe... Potato potato. 

I think unfortunately for this Derby County side to be competitive (i.e. stay up) if they got promoted, I would expect the need for a number of additions. Possibly this has already begun with the acquisition of Albentosa and the suggestion that if everything works out, then Bent. I'd be interested to see who you thought was 'Premier League class' in the current squad (don't even think about mentioning Buxton!)?

I will caveat this whole post however by asking how many players / squads in the Premier League now do you look at and think 'they're not that good'? There'll be a few so I guess the underpinning question is... by what barometer are you measuring 'Premier League class'?

Mike Williamson? Paul McShane? Curtis Davies? Fazio? Paddy McCarthy? Gareth McAuley? 

I'm sorry Igor, but this is a forum right? So my opinion isn't as worthwhile as yours? Care to explain, all knowing one, why that is?

I could say the sun is cold, the moon is square ........ would not make me right.

Life is so much simpler if people are not biased ..... at least you acknowledge Keogh played well last night, but he does all games.

Does it not confuse you to note we have 6 clean sheets out of 7 ?

I was wrong early in season on Omar ...he looked pants to me.  He has improved and worked hard.  Prefer Eustace fit and playing, but Omar doing more than OK now.....feeling part of defensive line not to be breached   ( Shame he shot off up the pitch for Florist's winner, but all players make mistakes. Grant for kicking it quick, Christie for going AWOL on the touchline ..... )

Anyway, an opinion is fine ...... Is there any chance your opinion would ever be changed by say another 10 clean sheets in a row ?  I conclude it would not, hence my frustration.

I think the opposite. I don't think Keogh does read the game well. Infact I think that is one of his downfalls. His pace, and he is bloody quick, gets him out of a lot of situations. Jake doesn't have pace, but how many times is he required to use it? Very rarely, as he actually is very good at reading the game. 

I'd disagree with this. Last night, at some point when Derby were exerting some pressure in the Blackburn area in the first half, the ball looped out and I think it might have been Hughes who challenged for a header on the edge of their area. Keogh showed great reading of the game I thought by battling to get in front of King midway in their half as he anticipated correctly that Hughes wouldn't win the header. Keogh's anticipation meant he quelled the opportunity for Blackburn to relieve some of the pressure as he got to the ball and played it wide. I turned around and said, "I bet that sort of thing will continue to go unnoticed about Keogh's game" and sir, you have proven me right. I think you are doing him a dis-service and continue to laud far too much praise on Buxton.

Buxton for me is completely the opposite. He is a reactionary defender in my view. He often gives fouls away as he's having to go over the top or through a striker as he hasn't anticipated the pass. 

Tomato... tomato I guess.

You can't say Keogh shouldn't be bothered by abuse from his own fans because he earns xxx and it's part of being a footballer.

What he earns has nothing to do with anything. He's not paid to take abuse from fans. To a certain extent he has to accept abuse from fans (although did anyone think of that when they were a Sunday league player dreaming of playing for England one day?). Not his own fans though.

Taking abuse from away fans a player should try to use as a positive. Use it to drive you. From his own fans? In some lads it might drive them. In others they might lose their drive. Shoulders slump, heads down, start playing the most basic game.

But when people say "if I was on

Keogh had an excellent game last night. He is 90-95% decent and 5-10% disaster.

To say he reads the game well is complete garbage. The reason that he is forever making these last ditch tackles that the because he hasn't read the game well. I want calmness in defence, I don't his mad charging about.

Those who enjoy his rushes upfield should look what he does when it comes to pass the ball. too often he comes to a standstill without much idea where he is hoping to pass it to. The guy just does not have the capability to think quickly enough. Other than that he is ok for now.

Keogh had an excellent game last night. He is 90-95% decent and 5-10% disaster.

To say he reads the game well is complete garbage. The reason that he is forever making these last ditch tackles that the because he hasn't read the game well. I want calmness in defence, I don't his mad charging about.

Those who enjoy his rushes upfield should look what he does when it comes to pass the ball. too often he comes to a standstill without much idea where he is hoping to pass it to. The guy just does not have the capability to think quickly enough. Other than that he is ok for now.

We must be looking at a completely different player or have ranging views on his qualities. Do you rate all players on a decent / disaster scale or is it just reserved for Richard Keogh? As mentioned before, his reading of the game is under-rated in my opinion... certainly no worse than any of the other defenders.

Keogh was class last night, I get frustrated by his ocassional mistakes, but he was a rock last night. Shame he can't shake that tendancy to make critical mistakes and he could still be a class defender. As for the Premiership I think there have been worse players than Keoghr playing CB in the Premiership, I don't see why he doesn't deserve a crack.

Archived