Christian Atsu

Cam the Ram

There is a major difference between 'pure speculation' and 'dismissing interest'. You could clearly tell he was interested in Bent as soon as he was asked, just didn't want to confirm until it was done. He never denied it.

Clearly we won't be signing Atsu after his comments. Interested to see who the target is...

Yep I really wish people on this thread need to understand that term though.

Yep me too as long it's same type of player as Ibe though.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not convinced we need another winger - luxury rather than necessity. We didn't need an "Ibe" last season, and I am far from convinced we do for the remainder of this season. Even though Russell is contributing a few more goals, we need someone to get the goals Bamford and Bryson were last season, perhaps Bent is that(?), but we need a footballing brain in the middle of the park who can let Thorne nurse himself back, and play with him, or instead of him, next season.

Still not convinced we need another winger - luxury rather than necessity. We didn't need an "Ibe" last season, and I am far from convinced we do for the remainder of this season. Even though Russell is contributing a few more goals, we need someone to get the goals Bamford and Bryson were last season, perhaps Bent is that(?), but we need a footballing brain in the middle of the park who can let Thorne nurse himself back, and play with him, or instead of him, next season.

Don't need another winger?

We currently only have 3 including Ward who notoriously has bad hamstrings and Russell who can be quite injury prone.

We needed 4 wingers last season... Ward, Russell, Dawkins and Bamford. I'll grant you that perhaps we don't need another Ibe but we do need someone who can play out there.

Still really cannot see what the absolute rigidity of 433 with 2 wingers is all about. Too many on here see it is as absolutely essential, it is in our DNA, and I accept the opinion. But for me you can have as many young speed merchants you like out wide, but that doesn't guarantee any success. I have no problem with 433, 101, 747 or 666. Throw any numbers you like at me. But look at other SUCCESSFUL teams presently - how many are playing with 2 wingers? Throw them at me guys. At this moment in time we need a well balanced, experienced first 11, not 9 or 10 good pro's and a couple of players that we are trying to improve for Liverpool, Chelsea or ******* Man U. Get a grip you young ones. A quality midfield general is all we now need to get us up.

Still really cannot see what the absolute rigidity of 433 with 2 wingers is all about. Too many on here see it is as absolutely essential, it is in our DNA, and I accept the opinion. But for me you can have as many young speed merchants you like out wide, but that doesn't guarantee any success. I have no problem with 433, 101, 747 or 666. Throw any numbers you like at me. But look at other SUCCESSFUL teams presently - how many are playing with 2 wingers? Throw them at me guys. At this moment in time we need a well balanced, experienced first 11, not 9 or 10 good pro's and a couple of players that we are trying to improve for Liverpool, Chelsea or ******* Man U. Get a grip you young ones. A quality midfield general is all we now need to get us up.

I am not sure what your point was, but I agree with it. 

I can tell you don't post on JA606.

I agree

We can't turn our noses up at Atsu after all these snot based puns.

Not a tissue for me as he would inevitably blow hot and cold. Mucus and moan if you like, but I want to see a midfield decongestant. That is what I am now expectorating.

Surely a contradiction, successful? Chelsea play with two wingers, inverted maybe, but still wide men that can cause problems out there. Liverpool and Man U cannot decide on a formation at the minute, and can hardly be called successful based on current form. Other teams currently playing with 2 wide men doing well in respective leagues - Arsenal (untradional, but they do still play with 2 out wide), Bmouth, Ipswich.

However, I do accept that these teams success is not based solely on wide play and wingers. The point is that a new formation can take time to implement, and that requires some game time as well. Would you want us to start utilising a new formation from this point in the season, considering we are entering a fairly crucial stage and it could lead to (even more) disjointed performances?

Bit of a stretch this old chum. Chelsea and Man City, two wingers? Arsenal two wingers? Didn't say Liverpool and Man U were successful, but they are not playing with two wingers. Ipswich successful? Not even sure they have got two wingers in their squad unless you are thinking of Hunt.

I am not advocating a major change here, all I am saying is that we would be better off with a Dawkins style wide midfielder that a raw Atsu like winger, and for everyone jizzing about having something new and shiny I think what we need is something older and used being the pivot in defensive midfield position. It seems to me that is the area where our formation has real problems presently.

Players because used to systems because the know their job. DCFC players understand 4-5-1 because everyone knows their duties. Deviate away that and it creates problems.

So I disagree about other formations, I'd stick with this and even when we go two up front, we must keep the wingers on for the balance.

Man Utd are a great example of when you take players out of their comfort so within their formation.

Don't we have 3 Def Midfielders already? I cant see them buying another especially as Thorne has returned to training.

We have zero fit cdms and that isn't good.

WhoScored put Atsu as man of the match, as Ghana beat Nigeria 1-0.

Not following anc ( free nelson Mandela) but does this mean Ghana go thru?

Archived