Bryson

mcsilks

Just watching the highlights of the Forest game brought back memories of Bryson and how effective he was playing in his old role.

McClaren now asks him to play in a more defensive role and that is detrimental to Bryson's abilities as a box-to-box midfielder.

He has come in for some stick on this forum and some have questioned his form but for me, it's down to the player not being able to adjust to his more regimented role this season.

Yes, we concede fewer goals but we do at times miss Bryson's penetration and ability to open up defences of seasons gone.

I like Hendrick and technically he is a better player than Bryson but I would prefer a Hughes/Bryson midfield.

Much more bench time and he'll be regretting signing on the dotted line.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watching the highlights of the Forest game brought back memories of Bryson and how effective he was playing in his old role.

McClaren now asks him to play in a more defensive role and that is detrimental to Bryson's abilities as a box-to-box midfielder.

He has come in for some stick on this forum and some have questioned his form but for me, it's down to the player not being able to adjust to his more regimented role this season.

Yes, we concede fewer goals but we do at times miss Bryson's penetration and ability to open up defences of seasons gone.

I like Hendrick and technically he is a better player than Bryson but I would prefer a Hughes/Bryson midfield.

Much more bench time and he'll be regretting signing on the dotted line.

I don't think Bryson has been given a new role at all.

I think it has been a case of opposition defenders purposely dropping deeper and not allowing gaping gaps behind. Ask yourslef this, who have we played this season that has offered a high line?

Last season, there were moments where our midfielders simply ran beyond the opposition defence because there was oceans of room behind for them to go in and cause damage.

So many goals last season - Doncaster, Huddesfield, Blackpool, Forest, Watford, Charlton etc. We scored goals from a midfielder or winger going through one-on-one with the keeper or there being a maximum of four bodies inside the box.

This season, I swear only against Sheff Wed (Russell) Fulham (they were hopeless) and Watford (Martin) can I remember us actually having a one vs one with the goalkeeper.

It's simply because the opposition backline has dropped much deeper, leaving nothing behind and getting bodies behind the ball. 

Bryson has been limited, basically, because IMO he's quite a limited midfiedler. He doesn't possesss Hendrick's power, Hughes' fabulous control/passing or Dawkins' close control or Russell's direct dribbling ability.

He offers energetic running and arguably the best long shot in our entire club, but those aside he's not got much left going for him against wise opposition.

I don't think Bryson has been given a new role at all.

I think it has been a case of opposition defenders purposely dropping deeper and not allowing gaping gaps behind. Ask yourslef this, who have we played this season that has offered a high line?

Last season, there were moments where our midfielders simply ran beyond the opposition defence because there was oceans of room behind for them to go in and cause damage.

So many goals last season - Doncaster, Huddesfield, Blackpool, Forest, Watford, Charlton etc. We scored goals from a midfielder or winger going through one-on-one with the keeper or there being a maximum of four bodies inside the box.

This season, I swear only against Sheff Wed (Russell) Fulham (they were hopeless) and Watford (Martin) can I remember us actually having a one vs one with the goalkeeper.

It's simply because the opposition backline has dropped much deeper, leaving nothing behind and getting bodies behind the ball. 

Bryson has been limited, basically, because IMO he's quite a limited midfiedler. He doesn't possesss Hendrick's power, Hughes' fabulous control/passing or Dawkins' close control or Russell's direct dribbling ability.

He offers energetic running and arguably the best long shot in our entire club, but those aside he's not got much left going for him against wise opposition.

Are you questioning the manager?

McClaren has actually come out and said that Bryson has a new deeper role yet you contest that.

Are you not watching the games? He isn't making those forward runs that he has done in the past.

Are you questioning the manager?

McClaren has actually come out and said that Bryson has a new deeper role yet you contest that.

Are you not watching the games? He isn't making those forward runs that he has done in the past.

Yes I'm watching the matches, but you can't run beyond a deep defensive line.

Hence why Barcelona soon started to struggle to break down those that just sat on the edge of the box. Players like Messi and Iniesta struggled to get in behind.

Bryson has been given a new role, because he's had to adapt to playing against teams sitting deeper.

Di Maria would struggle to get in behind a Cardiff City defence happy to just sit on their 18-yard line and not come out.

You have to keep in mind the reason that the midfield has been reshaped is that Eustace isn't as young as he was, and the player who was meant to play that role and allow more freedom to the midfield has been out injured. Mascarell, like Eustace, needs a bit more support to offer the same kind of shape as we tried last season.

It'll be interesting to see what happens once Throne is back, but at this time we're doing very well in the league, are strengthening the defence, and Thorne is still to return. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Of course, exactly as Bris has said, teams are sitting deeper against us as well, which means that even when Bryson is given the freedom as he was last season, he will be up against a congested box and little space in behind. All part of playing with the target on the backs though.

You have to keep in mind the reason that the midfield has been reshaped is that Eustace isn't as young as he was, and the player who was meant to play that role and allow more freedom to the midfield has been out injured. Mascarell, like Eustace, needs a bit more support to offer the same kind of shape as we tried last season.

It'll be interesting to see what happens once Throne is back, but at this time we're doing very well in the league, are strengthening the defence, and Thorne is still to return. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

My thoughts as well.

I think Bryson has been asked to play in a more defensive role to give support to Eustace and Mascarell in effect almost playing two defensive midfielders.

Thorne coming back opens a lot of doors.

My thoughts as well.

I think Bryson has been asked to play in a more defensive role to give support to Eustace and Mascarell in effect almost playing two defensive midfielders.

Thorne coming back opens a lot of doors.

What makes you think he has been asked to play a more defensive role? Do you have proof of this - quotes?

He may well have been asked to play a 'differnt' role, but I doubt he would have been asked to play a more defensive role after contributing to so many goals last season.

I think he's been asked to develop his game as he comes up against deeper defences, perhaps work on his runs and become more involved in general play in-front of a sitting defence.

We could have Toni Kroos coming back into the team, Bryson will still encounter the same problems of facing deep defences.

The only difference Thorne will add to Bryson's game is he'll be able to spot him better and mor often in 'the pockets' between the opposition's defence and midfield. 

His return won't all of a sudden mean Bryson will be picked out behind the opposition's defence with yards to roam in to.

What makes you think he has been asked to play a more defensive role? Do you have proof of this - quotes?

He may well have been asked to play a 'differnt' role, but I doubt he would have been asked to play a more defensive role after contributing to so many goals last season.

I think he's been asked to develop his game as he comes up against deeper defences, perhaps work on his runs and become more involved in general play in-front of a sitting defence.

We could have Toni Kroos coming back into the team, Bryson will still encounter the same problems of facing deep defences.

The only difference Thorne will add to Bryson's game is he'll be able to spot him better and mor often in 'the pockets' between the opposition's defence and midfield. 

His return won't all of a sudden mean Bryson will be picked out behind the opposition's defence with yards to roam in to.

The proof I have is watching the games when Bryson has played.

He hasn't been making the forward runs that he used to make and I think that Albert may have a point by saying that maybe Bryson has been asked to offer more support defensively.

Thorne is more mobile than Eustace and therefore, him coming back into the side may well result in our midfield is able to operate slightly more offensively than now.

mcsilks - you said that Mclaren has come out and said Bryson is playing a more defensive role. I dint remember this.

He has still been pushing forward and making the runs, just hasn't been as effective because of the reasons Bris gives.

I may have jumped to assumptions there davenport.

I remember McClaren saying he was using Bryson in a different role earlier in the season but he didn't state what that role was.

Now I don't see him making as many runs when he's playing. He's not the box-to-box player he was. That is not to say he doesn't make runs because he still does. He does it more far more infrequently than in seasons gone.

I may have jumped to assumptions there davenport.

I remember McClaren saying he was using Bryson in a different role earlier in the season but he didn't state what that role was.

Now I don't see him making as many runs when he's playing. He's not the box-to-box player he was. That is not to say he doesn't make runs because he still does. He does it more far more infrequently than in seasons gone.

IMO, the game patterns of us dominating the ball and the opposition sitting back means he has little need to bomb from one box to the other.

It's not that he's been told to stop running beyond Chris Martin into oceans of space, it's the reality that such a tactic is no longer available when playing against wise opposition who purposely play a deep line and get bodies back.

I actually find Bryson's long range shooting a very good ability to have in such circumstances. Because against Cardiff City - How hard was it to get in behind them?

Even Watford clicked on after an hour at Vicarage Road not to leave so much space behind their back four as we were killing them and Bryson was arguably our only way to victory in such a situation.

I actually think Brys has been the player most affected by the opposition's way of handling us this season, basically everything that is good about his game the opposition have tactically adjusted to counter it.

He just hasn't been as good.

He doesn't seem to get about as much.

He has fewer shots.

I think the hard working hard running style is taking its toll.

He's has had a series of injuries - hip, knee , ankle - and at 27 maybe he's starting to slow down and conserve some energy.

I'm chuckling about to tv supporters (no offence) saying he don't make runs. You can't see everything on a live stream. Let's be honest.

You can't see everything at the ground either, I didn't even realise we hit the post at the other end v Southport, so stick that up your wum trumpet

You can't see everything at the ground either, I didn't even realise we hit the post at the other end v Southport, so stick that up your wum trumpet

You can see everything at the ground, but you will miss things like that when your vision wanders to other things. But everything is 'available to be seen' if you have okay eyesight. Whereas on the cameras they won't track things like Bryson's individual runs or players positional sense if they aren't near the ball. You need to be at the game to see those things.

Probably says more about your vision/attention span than it does the view at the ground. ;)

Row D North Upper, without my glasses but you could not see that, missus was just as surprised when we watched the highlights and she had her goggles on.

If there was anything like a penalty shout, handball in the box, keeper handled outside the area, you would not see it, not at all. On TV you would.

So whilst it's true you don't see everything on TV, you don't see everything at the ground either. I know the guy sat next to me who had his head down on Twitter the entire game saw none of the game.....could come on here and say well I went my opinion is more valid....behave fool, quiet time for you.

You can see everything at the ground, but you will miss things like that when your vision wanders to other things. But everything is 'available to be seen' if you have okay eyesight. Whereas on the cameras they won't track things like Bryson's individual runs or players positional sense if they aren't near the ball. You need to be at the game to see those things.

You can't as I've just explained. I'm going on the Southport game because it's the most recent, nobody in the South Stand middle to lower would have seen if it was a penalty or not, someone sat on row CC or DD nothing at all unless they watched the screen which is watching TV.

Archived