Was Moyes unlucky?

i-Ram

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really when you've got a guy dressed up as the grim reaper making fun of you at a football match you know it's time to go

You didn't even make an attempt to answer the question.

I don't think he did a great job but it certainly wasn't all his fault. The way he carried himself after being sacked was excellent as well. Loads of people were throwing ridiculous criticism at him but he remained dignified in silence.

I still maintain that the worst thing he did was to get rid of the continuity of coaching, the likes of Eric Steele and Mick Phelan, with other associated back room staff going was a major problem.

All of a sudden, the blokes that have been coaching you for years are gone with a new set of blokes in, I'm of the belief that change should be gradual as it leads to firm foundations.

That said, I think that was his only major mistake as most things such as transfer activity was plainly out of his hands during that first transfer window.

Still, his choices aided the Rams.

I agree in some ways that he was unfortunate, but I think he tried to change this too quickly (a bit like above post). Plus, not sure he appreciated how big the challenge was, which is something he may learn by going away to Spain and doing a decent job there.

Also, was he ever going to attract the stars etc when RVP was chucking his toys out the pram? (which was ridiculous btw)

LVG has got extremely lucky this year, no-one would have thought that Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal would have started the way they have, meaning that United are 4th with the same equivalent points. Just goes to show how big the divide is from the top 2 to everyone else.

I agree in some ways that he was unfortunate, but I think he tried to change this too quickly (a bit like above post). Plus, not sure he appreciated how big the challenge was, which is something he may learn by going away to Spain and doing a decent job there.

Also, was he ever going to attract the stars etc when RVP was chucking his toys out the pram? (which was ridiculous btw)

LVG has got extremely lucky this year, no-one would have thought that Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal would have started the way they have, meaning that United are 4th with the same equivalent points. Just goes to show how big the divide is from the top 2 to everyone else.

In fairness, Moyes has always expressed an interest in coaching abroad. Before he got the United job, he made some pretty unsubtle hints about wanting to coach in the Bundesliga. Very refreshing from a British manager & I hope his time in San Sebastian helps him develop as a manager.

Sounds defeatist but United wasn't a good move for Moyes - as a manager in the prime of his career, the last thing he needed to do was to take a job where he had no chance of improving the club & was only likely to go backwards. He'll now struggle to remove that stain from his CV. As others say, the only possible way he could have been a success there would've been to make minimal changes in playing & coaching staff. There is an argument though that this wasn't possible - Fergie wrung every last bit of talent out of that squad & it was looking very dated when Moyes walked in.

I also doubt the Utd board would've backed Moyes the way they've backed LVG - from memory Felliani & latterly Mata were Moyes' big signings which seems absurd compared to Di Maria, Blind & Falcao. I also think its a weaker division this year - Liverpool are a total shadow of what they were, Everton have fallen away & Arsenal look more flakey than usual. Even in this favourable atmosphere, Utd are not that much better than last year in terms of points as the OP says. So yes, I think Moyes was unlucky.

I don't think Moyes was unlucky at all. I just think he got the job undeservingly. Yes, he did a very astute job at Everton but was it enough to warrant one of the biggest jobs in world football? I don't think so. 

It was obvious from day one that the job would prove beyond him.

Winning trophies and winning football matches was all Manchester United had known for the best part of almost 30 years. So to appoint Moyes immediately after Ferguson just seemed very misguided to me.

You're the champions of England. The logical step would have been to appoint someone with some kind of track record of managing a big club and winning trophies to continue in the same vein, which is why even though he may not be the answer, you can see why they've now settled on van Gaal.

He has a good track record, winning titles in Germany, the Netherlands and Spain and taking the Netherlands to the semi-finals of the World Cup. He has managed big clubs with the size, stature, traditions and expectations similar to Manchester United and is more familiar with those demands.

You can compare van Gaal to Moyes and say that van Gaal has benefitted from almost

Louis Van Gaal has collected 37 points from 21 Premier League fixtures - the same amount David Moyes accumulated at Old Trafford at the equivalent stage last season. I am not sure, but hasn't he spent about

Who cares. Moyes was a patsy just as Wilf McGuiness was after Matt Busby. He should have known what would happen and was deluded if he thought he could match Ferguson. The owners, press and players were terrified of him so the next manager was never going to command the respect he'd built up.

Its great to see United struggling to qualify for Europe. Its great to see the plastic tossers in the pubs getting mardy because they lose at home to Southampton.

Long may it continue.

Agree entirely with Jourdan on this one.

No hard luck story, he wasn't good enough and didn't have the right mentality to take over the biggest job in the world outside Barcelona and Real Madrid.

He simply didn't warrant the job - he had done nothing to warrant the job. 

Especially when you compare to the sort of genius work Manuel Pellegrini did at Villarreal - a club far smaller in stature than Everton.

LVG lucky? Have you seen amount of injuries they've had this season? Had to play with defenders not good enough to Blackpool so no wonder they didn't start that well.

They'll be up there if the injuries stay at normal level.

I'd say Moyes was lucky in the first place to get a that job.

LVG lucky? Have you seen amount of injuries they've had this season? Had to play with defenders not good enough to Blackpool so no wonder they didn't start that well.

They'll be up there if the injuries stay at normal level.

I'd say Moyes was lucky in the first place to get a that job.

It was more in regards to the luck that other teams have fallen away so much....but yes I would say he has been lucky in some of his games, the Chelsea draw was an absolute joke, they beat Southampton when they were poor.

I genuinely only think I have seen United turn up once and that was against a very poor QPR side.

Yes they may have had some injuries, but the guy has spent 150m+, United have been defenders light for a year or 2 now, regardless of injuries, surely this was the first place to start?

Moyes was lucky in the 1st place, but I still think he was always in trouble before he started.

Archived