Russell

AmericanRam

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We aren't a quick team though. Ibe and Ward are probably faster too. I've just never understood why everyone thinks Russell is lighting fast.

Ward's just quick with the ball, and quick off the mark - he's not that fast at all in a straight line.

The only way Russell gets past people is by knocking the ball on and running. He's lightning quick.

Not just his attacking you have to watch though its also his defensive duties, he is solid in regards to people trying to take him on and has anybody noticed he loves a good tackle? He is one of our players who can dish it out if needed IMO.

On Tuesday when we lost the ball and he sprinted back and tackled him was brilliant.

this.

And against F*rest when Shotton was getting destroyed by Antonio's pace on 3/4 occasions, Russell was the man back helping him out.

He gets applause for running the ball out of play. I think people like his energy. People love energy as it makes it look like they're giving more effort.

At one point on Tuesday Christie played him past the fullback and Russell came up against the covering CB. A few twist and turns later and he ran the ball out then everyone clapped for what I assume was trying to beat his man?

Would it have been the same reaction for Dawkins or Ibe?

Myself, I don't clap a player running the ball out of play. Dawkins, Ibe or Russell.

I do like Russell. Has been our best player for a few matches now. Just noticed he gets applause for trying to do stuff where others only get it once they've actually done something.

Think one of the reasons why Russell gets more of a wide berth from our fans than the rest of our wide men is that he's just generally popular. He has a friendly face, carries himself well, works hard - an extremely unoffensive character. You never hear the opposition give him anything but praise - none of this "dirty cheat" stuff you hear about Ward or Martin.

He's only been booked once since he's joined us in all competitions.

Moment that highlights this best is his reaction to Thorne's goal against Brighton, can't find a picture of it but the way he celebrates shows he's just completely taken away with the joy of the moment. It's pretty cute.

Also, if he'd cost 1.2 million instead of 750K he'd get a lot more stick.

However, Ibe and Dawkins have more goals. Don't know if you can count that shot against the post as an assist for Martin vs. Fulham, but I would.

Huge fan of Johnny Russell. He does need more goals in him - but you could level this comment at any of the wide players (save for Ward this season). His endeavour is second to none, and that single yellow card for us is something special considering how much work he does defensively.

Russell's played a key part in 8 (I believe) of our goals this season, whereas Dawks and Ibe had played a key part in 5 and 3.

His assists are what set him apart from the other wingers, for a creative player they're just as valuable as a goal. The pass through to Martin for our 3rd against Reading was more difficult than pretty much all of Ibe's finishes, same with the cross for Martin for our second against Bournemouth.

Hey russle on 3 for season but i think jonny russle should be playing up front with chris martin as jonny russle. Beats people for pace and would help martin for goals. And to the person who does not understand why people appuleading him he shows the passion and always gives 100 percent effort thats why derby like him so much. The most lazy and selfish play is ibe.

We don't play with 2 strikers. We play with 1 striker and wingers and it works. Everyone knows their own job and each other's.

I don't believe we have a single player that gives 100% every game. And so they shouldn't. As a player you try to give what you need to. All players will manage their own efforts according to the situation and opponent. Fans want to believe that player are running themselves to death but they're not and you wouldn't want them to.

Russell is fit. A natural athlete switched on to do the ugly stuff. Ibe perhaps doesn't have those levels of fitness and doesn't enjoy the tracking back. That's not a lack of effort. It's concentration, discipline, fitness.

Give Ibe the ball and he'll run at defenders from 12:15 tomorrow until you drag him off the pitch. He'll give you the effort then. He's not lazy.

Ibe plays with his head down. He sets off on his path and doesn't really see much else. He's still learning and needs lots of discipline.

Selfish? I'd just say he's got a lot to learn but his whole game is based on dribbling. You need these players. He just needs eyesight and discipline and he could go far.

Archived