Russell

AmericanRam

Like most Championship wide players, consistency is an issue. Started the season poorly but on a bit of a purple patch at the moment, could help with his finishing improving a bit, missed a couple of easy chance this season. Don't expect him to score them all and at least he is getting into the places to have these chances.

He is not a striker though hipsters.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russell always seems to get praise no matter the game he has had. He could do one good thing in a match and it's enough for some, whereas Dawkins or Ibe would be slated for playing the same, if not better. Russell just seems to have the fans on his side.

Whilst he has frustrated me a lot this season with his inconsistent performance (within a single game, not game to game), he was our best player on Tuesday and it was great to see him put more consistency into his game over the time he was on the pitch.

Russell always seems to get praise no matter the game he has had. He could do one good thing in a match and it's enough for some, whereas Dawkins or Ibe would be slated for playing the same, if not better. Russell just seems to have the fans on his side.

Absolutely true. I'm already fed up of people complaining about Ibe - it's every game.

You'd think his performance against Huddersfield would have brought some praise, but some people have simply decided they don't like him and won't budge unless he's 'perfect' every match.

Russell's at his best when instinctive. His flicked passes and spins round defenders are a treat. It's  when he has time to think where he needs to improve his game. He sometimes makes bad choices and has a tendency to overrun it. 

But let's be fair, if he could add this to his game he wouldn't stay in the Championship long. I was delighted when he didn't go in the transfer window and hope he adds regular goals to his game. 

I don't want any Derby player to fail and I take no joy from criticising them. I think Ibe could be very good but at present he looks like a loan player not a committed Derby player. If I could see more urgency from him, I would be fully convinced.

I'm also so pleased that Dawkins has started to find the net. He should start for me, perhaps with Ibe on the bench.

A few years ago we were wondering where our next goal might come from. Now, it's a case of who will score rather than if we will score.

Good innit?

I think sometimes the criticism for Ibe and Dawkins is due to them being classed as 'flair' players (which I think is unfair), almost like they are expected to do something because they have the little bit extra quality. Whereas Russell comes across as more of a grafter. Not saying Russell hasn't got any flair, its just he seems to look like he covers more ground than others, which is appreciated by fans. 

Also, Ibe has come from Liverpool and dubbed the next 'Sterling', which I find ridiculous expectations for a lad who has hardly had a run of games yet...

one of the fittest players at the club by a mile, the other night he just ran and ran and ran and didnt look tired, he would sprint forward on a run then immediately sprint all the way back to our 6 yard box to chase the ball or make a tackle,  and repeat. My only issue with his style of play is that sooner or later he's going to burn himself out, there's no way you can play with that much energy without it grinding you down eventually. If he can however then he will easily score 10 - 15 + goals this season and will be a key player imo 

Not just his attacking you have to watch though its also his defensive duties, he is solid in regards to people trying to take him on and has anybody noticed he loves a good tackle? He is one of our players who can dish it out if needed IMO.

On Tuesday when we lost the ball and he sprinted back and tackled him was brilliant.

Russell is like so many other Derby players on this forum...great or utter rubbish.

He is deserving of praise having raised his performances from below par to something closer to what we all expected when we signed him.

It's clever man management Mac is doing by singling him put for a bit of praise. That might mean he raises his game to the next level because at the minute, even playing well, he's at best a good Championship player.

There's a regular slot for him in the team as we lack penetration from all of our wide players. Ward blows hot and cold, Dawkins has one good game followed by an average one and Ibe has 89 minutes of nothing and one minute of magic.

Think one of the reasons why Russell gets more of a wide berth from our fans than the rest of our wide men is that he's just generally popular. He has a friendly face, carries himself well, works hard - an extremely unoffensive character. You never hear the opposition give him anything but praise - none of this "dirty cheat" stuff you hear about Ward or Martin.

He's only been booked once since he's joined us in all competitions.

Out of all the wingers I feel Russell is most likely to be able to step up in the big league.

Seriously? He isn't that fast, isn't very good at finishing and isn't great at beating his man. Dawkins is a much better rounded player and Ibe has amazing amounts of talent. 

Before people start moaning, I haven't seen either of our last two matches but I wouldn't change my opinion based on two good performances. 

As of now, we don't have any wide attackers that could make the step up to the Premier League, but methinks Dawks would be closest (and Ward the farthest)

Archived