best football fans you have witnessed

Sexydadbod

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally in the stadium, as a one off?

Away fans at Pride Park: Rangers in the Ted McMinn game 06ish and Rangers in the Pre-season friendly this year crazy numbers, colour, noise and song variety. Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup early-mid 00's, Wolves in about 2008, Crystal Palace the season they stayed up on the last day and kicked off with Wednesday on BBC, we played them 2 weeks before and they were non-stop all game, Birmingham 2007 were loud, Leeds in the Carling Cup (think it was WACCOE and WALL that went on forever that night), Wednesday in the FA Cup in 2007 - massive noise, great numbers, Man United in the FA Cup 2009 - great noise and variety of unique songs.

Consistent away support in this country? Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Man. United in that order. Honourable mention to Plymouth for their numbers to distance/club size ratio.

Home support that has impressed me?

None. Never, ever walked away from an away game and thought "f*ck me they were loud", closest probably Forest 5-2 game.

Bit of a strange thing to say.

Can everyone in the South Stand please pipe down and save it for away games only, thank you.

I should have been clearer. I don't mind others singing but I don't like doing it, never have. At home, I just like to sit and enjoy the game.

Away is a different kettle of fish, but I don't like to sing at home.

Besiktas. Unreal. Stadium only holds 30,000 I think.

Know a Turkish lad who's a Besiktas fan. He was at the Emirates the other week. It's not just a game or a club to him. They're on a whole different level to us and we think we're tribal

Yeah some of the foreign fans are actually a bit mental. I like a good atmosphere and all that but I've got relatives who follow Red Star Belgrade (or is it Partizan?). Now, these are normal people with families, old enough to know better etc and to hear them talk about fans of other clubs is unbelievable.

We go into a ground, call their fans c*nts or whatever but after the game know that it's just a bit of fun and part of the ritual, but I think they actually believe it all.

I don't see much joy in their support - I think they are more likely to chant anti-Red Star chants than Pro Partizan one's. There's more hate.

I know it might sound daft, but one of the best away supports I've seen at Derby was Fulham during the last Premier League season. Seem to remember them filling the away end in a 2-2 draw - sure it was mentioned as a memorial for one of their fans who died a few years previously.

Other than that, the usual ones mentioned - Rangers, the Bristol Rovers 8,000, Wrexham in the FA Cup in the promotion season.

Watched Croatia vs Norway at Hillsborough in Euro 96 & the Croats were incredible. Fantastic party atmosphere and very welcoming to a few outsiders. Of course me supporting the home club of Stimac & Asanovic helped too.

Droylsden.

Who?, you may ask.

Northern Prem last season, record as follows

24 Droylsden ® P46 W2 D3 L41  GF40 GA182, Goal Dif ?142 Points 9

Yes, that's a goal difference of minus 142., and a points tally of 9 from 46 games,

I chanced to see them at Buxton late in the season, who won by a very modest 4-2.

The 'Droylsden 3' (or was it 4) kept up a loud non-stop wall of encouragement.  When the 4th goal went in late on, they taunted the local fans with 'You're not very good, are you'

Real fans, not plastic. Nutters, mind you, but real.

Besiktas. Unreal. Stadium only holds 30,000 I think.

Know a Turkish lad who's a Besiktas fan. He was at the Emirates the other week. It's not just a game or a club to him. They're on a whole different level to us and we think we're tribal

They were at White Hart Lane the other week. The least successful of the 3 major Istanbul teams - Galatassary, Fenerbahce and Besiktas but with it comes a bond, an understanding, a unity and as you say, extremely tribal - the rest against us, the Black Eagles. Currently rebuilding the stadium on the original site (a roundabout - no sausage!)rebranding it the Vodafone arena will be bigger but not much.

They were at White Hart Lane the other week. The least successful of the 3 major Istanbul teams - Galatassary, Fenerbahce and Besiktas but with it comes a bond, an understanding, a unity and as you say, extremely tribal - the rest against us, the Black Eagles. Currently rebuilding the stadium on the original site (a roundabout - no sausage!)rebranding it the Vodafone arena will be bigger but not much.

Yeah they got Arsenal in the Champions League then Spurs in the Europa so they had it pretty hard.

Football there is mostly young men isn't it? Like here 30/40 years ago? Following football isn't trendy and you don't get every man and his dog latching onto it because it's, well, who doesn't like footie right?

Archived