Rules of the game

Anag Ram

Apologies if this has been on here before, but I came across a rule this week which I found hard to believe.

A team has a defensive free kick just outside their own box. For whatever reason (perhaps a misplaced pass back to the keeper) the ball goes straight into the net. What's the decision?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies if this has been on here before, but I came across a rule this week which I found hard to believe.

A team has a defensive free kick just outside their own box. For whatever reason (perhaps a misplaced pass back to the keeper) the ball goes straight into the net. What's the decision?

I don't understand the scenario? How can a team have a defensive freekick outside their own box from a misplaced backpass to the goalkeeper? Surely this would be an attcking freekick for the opposite team?

And which net has the ball gone in? I'm confused.

Bizarre rule which I've never heard of. I can't imagine it ever happening though, as most defensive freekicks are either short passes or punts upfield from the goalkeeper.

I can never imagine Keogh for instace deciding to pass the ball back to Grant from a freekick in our own half. Why would he ever do that and what would be the point?

Bizarre rule which I've never heard of. I can't imagine it ever happening though, as most defensive freekicks are either short passes or punts upfield from the goalkeeper.

I can never imagine Keogh for instace deciding to pass the ball back to Grant from a freekick in our own half. Why would he ever do that and what would be the point?

I guess to waste time? The Rule might also affect a very windy day in which the ball was hit forwards but blew back into the net. It's an unlikely scenario I agree but an interesting one.

I guess to waste time? The Rule might also affect a very windy day in which the ball was hit forwards but blew back into the net. It's an unlikely scenario I agree but an interesting one.

I think that the ball hoofed towards the opposition corner flag would be a better time wasting technique. 

Perhaps it originates from kids football where they genuinely felt a really windy day could play its part in such a scenario.

I've been in situations before when I was in my early teenage years where I took goalkicks as I was the only one out of the back four that could clear our own box. 

I could therefore understand the rule where the ball has to leave the box for a goalkick. But this one I still don't get - and why a corner and not a retake? Bizarre.

I'd hazard a guess that many footballers don't actually know this rule - the same about the throw-in rule. This goal should never have counted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVfFjdMNbZs

I think that the ball hoofed towards the opposition corner flag would be a better time wasting technique. 

Perhaps it originates from kids football where they genuinely felt a really windy day could play its part in such a scenario.

I've been in situations before when I was in my early teenage years where I took goalkicks as I was the only one out of the back four that could clear our own box. 

I could therefore understand the rule where the ball has to leave the box for a goalkick. But this one I still don't get - and why a corner and not a retake? Bizarre.

I'd hazard a guess that many footballers don't actually know this rule - the same about the throw-in rule. This goal should never have counted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVfFjdMNbZs

I hope that fan got some kind of punishment...

Well albeit the freekick he decided to do that against Doncaster :ph34r:

You are unclear of the terms here, but if you mean an indirect free kick for the defensive team, and they stick it straight into their own net, it'll be a corner to the opposition.

The same goes for an indirect free kick the other way (except it'll be a goal kick) as well as a throw in (as long as nobody touches it).

Another fun rule is that if at a goal kick (or a free kick in the box if I recall right), a keeper just knocks the ball, and a striker touches it before it has left the box, it's a dead ball and the goal kick has to be retaken. The ball, from a goal kick, isn't in play until it's left his penalty area.

Archived