Rules of the game

Anag Ram

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sure I remember a time, the only time our defence was capable of it, when Mark Wright used to lead the line out and gain offside decisions from goal kicks? I might have to raid the loft for some (actual) video tape footage.

"It is illegal for a goalkeeper to roll his sleeves up or wear a short sleeve shirt. This is because when punching the ball in a crowd of players the referee can easily identify the goal keeper's arms in the melee. "

Gotta be ******?

Barthez never wore long sleeves?

Im sure I remember a time, the only time our defence was capable of it, when Mark Wright used to lead the line out and gain offside decisions from goal kicks? I might have to raid the loft for some (actual) video tape footage.

Were they kicks out of hand? Goal kicks are off the floor

"It is illegal for a goalkeeper to roll his sleeves up or wear a short sleeve shirt. This is because when punching the ball in a crowd of players the referee can easily identify the goal keeper's arms in the melee. "

Gotta be ******?

Barthez never wore long sleeves?

Was a rule due to goalkeepers not wearing gloves until the (I think) late seventies.

You are unclear of the terms here, but if you mean an indirect free kick for the defensive team, and they stick it straight into their own net, it'll be a corner to the opposition.

The same goes for an indirect free kick the other way (except it'll be a goal kick) as well as a throw in (as long as nobody touches it).

Another fun rule is that if at a goal kick (or a free kick in the box if I recall right), a keeper just knocks the ball, and a striker touches it before it has left the box, it's a dead ball and the goal kick has to be retaken. The ball, from a goal kick, isn't in play until it's left his penalty area.

Hi. No, I was speaking about a direct free kick taken by a defender which ends up in his own goal. That would also be a corner.

Right, one that's always bugged me.

If an outfield player intentionally punches the ball away from their own goal line, thus preventing a goal, it's a red card offence.

If a player punches intentionally the ball over the opposition's goal line, thus scoring a goal, it's a yellow card offence.

IT MAKES NO SENSE

If an outfield player intentionally punches the ball away from their own goal line, thus preventing a goal, it's a red card offence.

If a player punches intentionally the ball over the opposition's goal line, thus scoring a goal, it's a yellow card offence.

IT MAKES NO SENSE

I agree...and your avatar really freaks me out.

Bizarre rule which I've never heard of. I can't imagine it ever happening though, as most defensive freekicks are either short passes or punts upfield from the goalkeeper.

I can never imagine Keogh for instace deciding to pass the ball back to Grant from a freekick in our own half. Why would he ever do that and what would be the point?

Someone told me that reason this rule exists is to prevent match fixing. Makes sense.

IT MAKES NO SENSE

One denies a goal scoring opportunity the other does not.

Deliberate handball to score a goal is unsportsmanlike conduct and is a yellow card offence. Delibrate handball that denies a goal scoring opportunity is a red card offense

Makes perfect sense

We should do this against F*rest. 7-0 up last minute we get a free kick after thelongerdonger assaults Keogh. Keogh smacks it into our net, they all get excited and ref gives a corner.. We say well we tried to help you out but..... 

One denies a goal scoring opportunity the other does not.

Deliberate handball to score a goal is unsportsmanlike conduct and is a yellow card offence. Delibrate handball that denies a goal scoring opportunity is a red card offense

Makes perfect sense

It doesn't though.

What you've done is explain the law as it stands, not say why the law makes sense.

There is absolutely no reason I can think of why it should be deemed a worse offence to cheat in order to stop a goal than to cheat in order to score a goal.

Why exactly is one 'unsportsmanlike' and the other a major offence, aside from the fact that a rather stupid law says so? Why is stopping a goal with your hands not merely unsportsmanlike?

'Because the law says so' isn't an acceptable answer

It doesn't though.

What you've done is explain the law as it stands, not say why the law makes sense.

There is absolutely no reason I can think of why it should be deemed a worse offence to cheat in order to stop a goal than to cheat in order to score a goal.

Why exactly is one 'unsportsmanlike' and the other a major offence, aside from the fact that a rather stupid law says so? Why is stopping a goal with your hands not merely unsportsmanlike?

'Because the law says so' isn't an acceptable answer

Because the ref cant award the goal that you punched away, but he can disallow the goal thst you scored.

IT MAKES NO SENSE

If you foul someone preventing a goalscoring opportunity, it's a red.

If you dive, it's a yellow.

In my head the two are comparable to what you are saying, and I have no issue with it.

If you foul someone preventing a goalscoring opportunity, it's a red.

If you dive, it's a yellow.

In my head the two are comparable to what you are saying, and I have no issue with it.

I can see simulation being targeted over the next couple of seasons.... Mainly retrospectively

Archived