Ben Flower v Luis Suarez

uttoxram75

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Utter ******** justifying a cowardly punch on a defenseless player because the games "not for whimps". Footballs a high intensity, contact sport, yet had this of happened on a Saturday afternoon down at the Ipro this would still be front page news. 

The double standards portrayed by the media and certain sections of society regarding football and other sports is bugging. Quick look around certain news sites and there's plenty about a flag and some **** punches thrown during the Serbia v Albania, whereas a cowardly attack on a UK sports pitch has been nicely swept under the carpet. 

Rugby Union is a game played by bullies and watched by bullies, used to respect Rugby League but since moving to Manchester this has worn off as many of the fans are neanderthals. But i guess football in general is a easy target for the Daily Mail reading lot. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utter sausages justifying a cowardly punch on a defenseless player because the games "not for whimps". Footballs a high intensity, contact sport, yet had this of happened on a Saturday afternoon down at the Ipro this would still be front page news.

The double standards portrayed by the media and certain sections of society regarding football and other sports is bugging. Quick look around certain news sites and there's plenty about a flag and some sausage punches thrown during the Serbia v Albania, whereas a cowardly attack on a UK sports pitch has been nicely swept under the carpet.

Rugby Union is a game played by bullies and watched by bullies, used to respect Rugby League but since moving to Manchester this has worn off as many of the fans are neanderthals. But i guess football in general is a easy target for the Daily Mail reading lot.

I don't justify what he did by any means.He should be punished for it.I play it and am a fan.Your opinion is your own of course,I just feel differently.

I don't justify what he did by any means.He should be punished for it.I play it and am a fan.Your opinion is your own of course,I just feel differently.

Didn't necessarily mean you pal, in my opinion the general overtone in the media over here seems to be one of yes he's in the wrong but it's a contact sport so it's not 'that' bad. 

My opinion on Rugby Union is born out of spending the best part of my teenage years living in Northampton, a clouded judgement ,maybe but i've seen little to change my opinion on it. 

Didn't necessarily mean you pal, in my opinion the general overtone in the media over here seems to be one of yes he's in the wrong but it's a contact sport so it's not 'that' bad.

My opinion on Rugby Union is born out of spending the best part of my teenage years living in Northampton, a clouded judgement ,maybe but i've seen little to change my opinion on it.

Fair enough mate.

Utter sausages justifying a cowardly punch on a defenseless player because the games "not for whimps". Footballs a high intensity, contact sport, yet had this of happened on a Saturday afternoon down at the Ipro this would still be front page news. 

The double standards portrayed by the media and certain sections of society regarding football and other sports is bugging. Quick look around certain news sites and there's plenty about a flag and some sausage punches thrown during the Serbia v Albania, whereas a cowardly attack on a UK sports pitch has been nicely swept under the carpet. 

Firstly If you follow Rugby League this incident has most certainly not been swept under the carpet. Far from it. Ben Flower has been condemned from pillar to post for his unsavoury and disgraceful actions. I have not read one report or quote anywhere justifying what he did. Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

2nd.. I have played both codes and watched both codes avidly since school days. I dont mind if you have an opinion on the sport but lets be clear... You are saying or appearing to say that all people who play and watch are " bullies" and at the same time tell us that media and sections of society have slanted views!!!

I follow Rugby League quite closely & attend a few games each season..... I totally agree with what Stockholm Ram says...the RFL, have definitely not swept the matter under the carpet....RL is a hard, skillful game & their is no place in it, for what Flowers did & the RFL have treated the incident extremely seriously.... the incident has also been condemned within all areas of the game...

I'm on the phone so I can't type a long essay. I played rugby at division two level and county levels. I also trained with the England senior side and played for the London broncos development side. What this guy did is compeletly unacceptable and deplorable. Rugby as it is is a dangerous game and you don't want some out of control thug putting you in hospital. Sure punches fly out, people confront each other and some lash out - but that second punch is just pure evil. The whole point is to show restraint and pay the game hard and clean. Apologies for my remarks earlier about tenpin bowling and potatos, I never meant to offend the patatos.

Id like to see Suarez bite Ben Flower...

Rugby League is an incredibly tough and physical sport. You cannot have this level of aggression and not expect incidents to happen.

Flower reacted badly to a cowardly dig by Hohaia... First punch forgivable, sin bin ten mins, 2nd pin punch tells me somethings not right with his mentality at any level let alone pro sport.

BahrainRamsal... " skills of a potato"? Mate..if you dont know owt about owt then best say nowt. Makes you look a tad daft.

Btw..where in Bahrain are you? Ive been numerous times. Its hot hot hot...

Live in amwaj,work at bwtc. Come say hi next time you are here.

Firstly If you follow Rugby League this incident has most certainly not been swept under the carpet. Far from it. Ben Flower has been condemned from pillar to post for his unsavoury and disgraceful actions. I have not read one report or quote anywhere justifying what he did. Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

2nd.. I have played both codes and watched both codes avidly since school days. I dont mind if you have an opinion on the sport but lets be clear... You are saying or appearing to say that all people who play and watch are " bullies" and at the same time tell us that media and sections of society have slanted views!!!

Fair points, i actually am really impressed with the way both clubs and the Rugby League association have handled the incident, football could learn a thing or two from this instead of the shameful handling of certain episodes (Suarez for example). Never meant to suggest any reports have justified what he did but i can't help but think if it had been Rooney punching Kompany in the face instead we'd have never heard the end of it. 

Can't sway me on your second point however, i fully detest modern day Rugby Union, was close enough to two teams in Northamptonshire and the Uni teams up here to realise 90% of people involved were utter *********. Think this probably expresses more eloquently than i ever could why i can't stand the sport; 

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/06/university-rugby-club-apologises-for-misogynist-homophobic-leaflet

Fair points, i actually am really impressed with the way both clubs and the Rugby League association have handled the incident, football could learn a thing or two from this instead of the shameful handling of certain episodes (Suarez for example). Never meant to suggest any reports have justified what he did but i can't help but think if it had been Rooney punching Kompany in the face instead we'd have never heard the end of it. 

Can't sway me on your second point however, i fully detest modern day Rugby Union, was close enough to two teams in Northamptonshire and the Uni teams up here to realise 90% of people involved were utter sausages. Think this probably expresses more eloquently than i ever could why i can't stand the sport; 

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/06/university-rugby-club-apologises-for-misogynist-homophobic-leaflet

We will have to beg to differ then mate. Im no bully, far from it. Same with my friends who watch with me. Detest it all you like but dont tar everyone with the same brush. Thats quite a statement.

Seeing as Chellini was able to shake it off and play on as if nothing had happened...and Hohaia had to leave the pitch and looked in a very bad way, i think it's safe the say that Flower's was the more serious offence. Far more serious in my opinion....biting just has a shock value, people aren't used to seeing it.  Really it's the effect on the victim that matters. 

A family friend runs a private nightclub/ bar security guard business. I spoke to him about how weird I find biting as an adult human reaction. He told me in his line of work its not altogether unusual and people attempt to bite when being thrown out of the place quite regularly. Wtf..

Archived