Sepp Blatter spot on with this

CumbrianRam

Rarely agree with him but

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says the away goals rule should be revised as home advantage is less important in the modern game.

The rule means that the number of away goals scored is decisive if aggregate scores are level in a two-legged tie.

"The idea dates back to a time when away games were often an adventure, involving journeys that could be long and arduous and playing conditions would vary considerably," said Blatter.

"It is time to rethink the system."

The rule was first introduced into European competition in the 1965-66 Cup Winners' Cup

It was under discussion at a meeting of Europe's top coaches in Nyon in September.

Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson chaired the meeting and said that better pitches meant away teams could counter-attack more effectively, increasing the possibility of scoring away from home.

"What is helping is that the state of the pitches, pitches are fantastic nowadays, so coming out of defence with passes is much easier than it was 30 years ago, and you get a better attitude to counter-attack today," said Ferguson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29561989

Get rid of the oudated rule, fact is home advantage is getting weaker and this rule encourages negative play

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was thinking about injury time too. Do people like it like it is? Or would it be better if the clock just stopped every time the ball was out of play?

Just think the whole time wasting tactic is horrible. I hate it even when we do it.

Was thinking about injury time too. Do people like it like it is? Or would it be better if the clock just stopped every time the ball was out of play?

Just think the whole time wasting tactic is horrible. I hate it even when we do it.

I think the clock should stopped, the added time system is open to abuse.

I think it should stop.That is how it is done for college teams in the States and works perfectly imo.

This feeling is strange.....I agree with Sepp Blatter on something. :lol:

Away goals rule isn't fantastic.  I regularly follow the K-League and last year FC Seoul were in the AFC Champions League Final against Guangzhou Evergrande.  The final is contested over 2 legs, Seoul drew the home leg 2-2 and the away leg 1-1.  Instead of going to extra time and penalties Guangzhou won on away goals. Even losing in a penalty shoutout would be more preferable to losing a final in which the team were never actually defeated.

This feeling is strange.....I agree with Sepp Blatter on something. :lol:

Away goals rule isn't fantastic. I regularly follow the K-League and last year FC Seoul were in the AFC Champions League Final against Guangzhou Evergrande. The final is contested over 2 legs, Seoul drew the home leg 2-2 and the away leg 1-1. Instead of going to extra time and penalties Guangzhou won on away goals. Even losing in a penalty shoutout would be more preferable to losing a final in which the team were never actually defeated.

But I remember one specific occasion when I enjoyed it.

When we beat Man Utd 1-0 at home unofficial first game, I do believe we were loosing the away leg 4-1 and Man Utd were cruising until something like the 85th minute. Then we scored, and because of the away goal rile, it was suddenly game on. 4-3 on aggregate, and we'd have won on away goals if we scored.

Made the last 5 mins very exciting.

When we beat Man Utd 1-0 at home unofficial first game, I do believe we were loosing the away leg 4-1 and Man Utd were cruising until something like the 85th minute. Then we scored, and because of the away goal rile, it was suddenly game on. 4-3 on aggregate, and we'd have won on away goals if we scored.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that ocassion.....ok.....new rule.....away goals rule is stupid until it benefits Derby.  :)

I'll get my recommendations sent to Blatter immediately.

I'm sure i'm missing something here.. I like the away goal rule. Me personally thought it was to combat teams going away from home and defending for the full 90 minutes in hope of taking something in there Home game.

This will make them attack away from home instead of parking the bus and makes it more exciting. I thought they already stopped time in added time when people were time wasting?

I'm sure i'm missing something here.. I like the away goal rule. Me personally thought it was to combat teams going away from home and defending for the full 90 minutes in hope of taking something in there Home game.

This will make them attack away from home instead of parking the bus and makes it more exciting. I thought they already stopped time in added time when people were time wasting?

But the point is that home advantage no longer means as much as it did. So a team would be foolish to park the bus away from home. 

Plus the away goals rule arguably allows home teams to park the bus and try to steal it in the away leg, which is worse because the home fans are the majority in that stadium and they have to watch their team play disgusting negative football.

Just visit the City Ground if you want to know what that feels like. No home fans deserve that, not even Gumpingham Florests.

You can only cut out time wasting by penalising players at the time. Adding on an extra couple of mins at the end doesn't help the attacking team aa much as they are hampered by the continual stop start nature.

Vs millwall, the ref kept holding his watch up as if to say "take as long as you want, i'll add it on at the end". I'd much prefered him to speak to the first timewaster, then book the next.

But the point is that home advantage no longer means as much as it did. So a team would be foolish to park the bus away from home. 

Plus the away goals rule arguably allows home teams to park the bus and try to steal it in the away leg, which is worse because the home fans are the majority in that stadium and they have to watch their team play disgusting negative football.

Just visit the City Ground if you want to know what that feels like. No home fans deserve that, not even Gumpingham Florests.

I didn't see it that way. I guess the home team will be pressured to play attacking football due to being at home but guess if your manager has sense he'll display attacking qualities away from home.

If the clock stopped every time the ball went out of play, the typical match would last for around two and a half hours.

I think you will find 99% of referees would welcome the chance to remove timekeeping from there duties....

Would be a good move as well....

If the clock stopped every time the ball went out of play, the typical match would last for around two and a half hours.

Think it will turn the other way round, will speed the game up in my opinion, rugby doesn't stop every time ball goes out...

Think it would benefit the game

That was in the League Cup where away goals don't count...

The only downside to it I see is that if the scores are level after 180 minutes, then the home team clearly has an advantage in the second leg of playing an extra 30 mins and possibly penalties infront of their own fans.

But overall I agree with Sepp Blatter, Chelsea and Jose Mourinho most of all have abused the away goal system to deploy negative game-stopping tactics which makes the specticle terrible to watch.

That was in the League Cup where away goals don't count...

The only downside to it I see is that if the scores are level after 180 minutes, then the home team clearly has an advantage in the second leg of playing an extra 30 mins and possibly penalties infront of their own fans.

But overall I agree with Sepp Blatter, Chelsea and Jose Mourinho most of all have abused the away goal system to deploy negative game-stopping tactics which makes the specticle terrible to watch.

they do count after extra time

Archived