Kieron Freeman

BennettDCFC

KIERON Freeman feels he has not been given a chance to prove himself at Derby County under head coach Steve McClaren.

Freeman has not featured for the Rams since McClaren was appointed just over a year ago.

The Wales under-21 international defender spent time on loan at Notts County and Sheffield United last season and has just joined Mansfield Town on a three-month deal.

The full-back made his Mansfield debut on Saturday as the Stags lost 1-0 at home to Accrington in League Two.

"I've played about 30 games for Derby and after the change of managers I've never been given a chance," Freeman told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"I haven't played in the last year-and-a-half. I haven't been in the team. I don't know how I'm meant to prove myself."

McClaren signed Cyrus Christie from Coventry City in the summer to fill the right-back role and on-loan Ryan Shotton can also play there

Thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough speaking out, but can anyone say he's been better than the following:

John Brayford

Andre Wisdom

Cyrus Christie

Would go and far as say Adam Smith as well.

Would of liked him to do well here... But I do think in to my untrained eye he's League 1/2 material, may get better when he gets into his late 20s and might get to championship level.

He should  do his talking to McClaren and not radio Nottingham.

If he isn't happy with the answer, ask for a transfer!

He's a tidy little player but is not good enough to push any of the other fullbacks out of the team in my opinion.

Agreed on that one. He is not better than Christie or Forsyth, not even close in a lot of ways imo. Shotton is better also I think. As you say, if you are fed up with your situation talk to the manager, not be immature about it and go behind his back. Mac will not be happy with this at all I should think.

Yeah definitely not good enough to push any of the fullbacks he's been behind out. But I always thought he was a decent Championship player. I remember when he became first choice early last season and he showed that he had a magnificent cross on him. Then Adam Smith turned up and well he's from the Prem isn't he so he MUST be better........

Yeah definitely not good enough to push any of the fullbacks he's been behind out. But I always thought he was a decent Championship player. I remember when he became first choice early last season and he showed that he had a magnificent cross on him. Then Adam Smith turned up and well he's from the Prem isn't he so he MUST be better........

Yep, I remember that. Freeman to me is a pretty good young talent, but with the current squad we have their is simply no place for him.  With that being said, I would hope he will shine at Mansfield as long as he puts these kind of statements behind him and play to his talent level.

So much better that Mac got shot of him straight after he bought Wisdom in, the rest is history.

I don't think he's that bad, I happen to agree with him, he hasn't been given a chance. He lacks something defensively but then so does Cyrus Christie.

What on earth is training for then?

That's how every player gets their chance - show something in training and you'll get a game, simple as that.

If he had a brain he would of gone to sheff United no matter what the wages were and proved himself.. Then taken the step back to the championship albeit with sheff utd or another club... Money grabbing?

Sheff u fan told me that nigel had said he wasn't good enough for them and they only wanted him temporarily or for cover.

Maybe he was getting offered low wages?

What do we know.

Archived