Mason Bennett

I've been keeping an eye on young Bennett and he doesn't seem to be pulling up any trees at Bradford this season does he? On the bench more often than not and only one goal so far.

I know it's probably daft to write off a player who is still only 18 but am I the only one who is starting to question whether he is going to make it at Derby? Perhaps he was just very physically mature at an early age and now others have caught up he isn't actually anything that special?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping Mason would look a top player at League One level and even at 18, felt he would become one of the most prolific strikers in that division. Still early days but if he can't show enough to be a regular starter at Bradford, is he realistically going to develop into the Premiership standard performer we all hoped?

I was hoping Mason would look a top player at League One level and even at 18, felt he would become one of the most prolific strikers in that division. Still early days but if he can't show enough to be a regular starter at Bradford, is he realistically going to develop into the Premiership standard performer we all hoped?

He's our baby, Hughes would be on the bench at Bradford

Lower leagues are often more physical than the Premiership, and the Championship to an extent. Mason relies a lot on his physicality but this is cancelled out in the lower leagues but he's not experienced enough yet to have the technical ability to find another way to beat his man. 

This will come in time I reckon. I genuinely think he should be making appearances off our bench in a squad where we play good football and he will see plenty of the ball.

League 1 seems to be quite a physical league. Players that shine are usually the more technically gifted. Bamford for example was able to use his quality roake the difference for MK dons.

Mason is a really physical player so might just blend in with the norm for the level he's playing at. Still good experience for a kid that is 18.

I've been keeping an eye on young Bennett and he doesn't seem to be pulling up any trees at Bradford this season does he? On the bench more often than not and only one goal so far.

I know it's probably daft to write off a player who is still only 18 but am I the only one who is starting to question whether he is going to make it at Derby? Perhaps he was just very physically mature at an early age and now others have caught up he isn't actually anything that special?

Hi peking, used to enjoy your posts back on the old det forum. Or was it even ramzone. Get posting more!

A wind-up thread. Mason's very young and I've heard he's not getting much playing time because he's carrying an injury.

Why is it a wind up thread? The OP is just asking why Bennett is not having the impact at Bradford that many hoped/believed he would have.

If he is carrying an injury why are Derby let Bradford put him on the bench? Ridiculous if true.

Hi peking, used to enjoy your posts back on the old det forum. Or was it even ramzone. Get posting more!

Yes, indeed, I remember and appreciated you, PH on DET. I may be wrong, but I think I remember your health was not too good. If so, hope you're on top form!

Why is it a wind up thread? The OP is just asking why Bennett is not having the impact at Bradford that many hoped/believed he would have.

If he is carrying an injury why are Derby let Bradford put him on the bench? Ridiculous if true.

It's a wind-up thread because the OP said "am I the only one who is starting to question whether he is going to make it at Derby? Perhaps he was just very physically mature at an early age and now others have caught up he isn't actually anything that special?"

The lad has just turned 18 and he's only scoring a goal a game for the England U19s so far. Yeah he's clearly not "special" or good enough for us. If that wasn't a wind-up opening for a player over a year younger than, for instance, Calero, then I don't know what is.

If you check on the Bradford forums discussing their (lack of) striking options, you see comments like:

"Bennett is highly rated by his club and is carrying an injury at the moment"

"Bennett is carrying an injury so we haven't seen the best of him which is no-one's fault"

Part of learning to play as a professional footballer is to play through the injuries and knocks which you have a lot of the time. They're giving him 10 minutes a game and I'm certain the Derby medical staff are keeping a close eye on it.

Dear all

Thanks first of all to those of you remember me from the old Ramzone days - I am honoured! My health is good thank you, despite reaching the grand old age of 79!

My Bennett post was not a wind-up, although I did not know he was carrying an injury when I posed the question.  I feel I am entitled to feel a little disappointed by his progress however - if we take Hughes and look at all he has achieved at Championship level so far despite being only a year older and less physically robust, then to me Bennett is underachieving. If he was a really top prospect, he's be in our starting XI by now.

Dear all

Thanks first of all to those of you remember me from the old Ramzone days - I am honoured! My health is good thank you, despite reaching the grand old age of 79!

My Bennett post was not a wind-up, although I did not know he was carrying an injury when I posed the question.  I feel I am entitled to feel a little disappointed by his progress however - if we take Hughes and look at all he has achieved at Championship level so far despite being only a year older and less physically robust, then to me Bennett is underachieving. If he was a really top prospect, he's be in our starting XI by now.

He needs to improve yes but I would say he's well worth the Rams keeping him.

Still only young and learning.

Dear all

My Bennett post was not a wind-up, although I did not know he was carrying an injury when I posed the question. I feel I am entitled to feel a little disappointed by his progress however - if we take Hughes and look at all he has achieved at Championship level so far despite being only a year older and less physically robust, then to me Bennett is underachieving. If he was a really top prospect, he's be in our starting XI by now.

First mate,GREAT username. :) In regards to young Mason,I agree he looks to be a very good young prospect.I am sure Mac has future plans for him in his squad.We just have to wait and see how it pans out.

Archived