Mason Bennett

It's a wind-up thread because the OP said "am I the only one who is starting to question whether he is going to make it at Derby? Perhaps he was just very physically mature at an early age and now others have caught up he isn't actually anything that special?"

The lad has just turned 18 and he's only scoring a goal a game for the England U19s so far. Yeah he's clearly not "special" or good enough for us. If that wasn't a wind-up opening for a player over a year younger than, for instance, Calero, then I don't know what is.

If you check on the Bradford forums discussing their (lack of) striking options, you see comments like:

"Bennett is highly rated by his club and is carrying an injury at the moment"

"Bennett is carrying an injury so we haven't seen the best of him which is no-one's fault"

Part of learning to play as a professional footballer is to play through the injuries and knocks which you have a lot of the time. They're giving him 10 minutes a game and I'm certain the Derby medical staff are keeping a close eye on it.

Not sure why you think it is a wind up, he asks a very valid question.

Has Bennett shown much progression since he burst on to the scene? Its not something I can answer because I don't see him every day.

It is very true that 3 or 4 years back he was way ahead of his age group mainly because of his size and maturity.

I hope he goes on to become the England star a lot of people were tipping him to be but for me the jury is very much out. My main concern is that he now needs a football brain as his size will not be enough to make him shine.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a look earlier last month over the comments on Maso, it seems they rated him but he completely looked lost in their system.

By their accounts, a good footballer that couldn't get involved in their 'long' style. I'm not surprised. He got pushed out to a RM position in the end. 

I think the U21s is probably the best thing for him, for now. Kwame looks like he may have edged ahead of him, well, he's in the England U20 squad afterall. 

His ability is in no doubts, he just needs to get down to working hard now.

I had a look earlier last month over the comments on Maso, it seems they rated him but he completely looked lost in their system.

By their accounts, a good footballer that couldn't get involved in their 'long' style. I'm not surprised. He got pushed out to a RM position in the end. 

I think the U21s is probably the best thing for him, for now. Kwame looks like he may have edged ahead of him, well, he's in the England U20 squad afterall. 

His ability is in no doubts, he just needs to get down to working hard now.

Ambitious, you say his ability is in no doubt but what, as yet, has he done to show that in a first team environment?

Archived