Forsyth praise

AmericanRam

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else think that as Christie develops and becomes more solid in the defending part of his job the balence will be a bit better as fozzy can bomb forward in confidence knowing Christie is going to hang back and vice versa, at the moment it's almost always Fozzy hanging back.

Good point.

These two wing backs are magic. I am not sure much dissection is needed at this point. Christie also leads the team in assists and its not even close. Forsyth's defending is much improved, and he stills does his trademark bombing runs. I haven't been this excited about the wide back pair since i watched Higginbotham and Delap. 

These two wing backs are magic. I am not sure much dissection is needed at this point. Christie also leads the team in assists and its not even close. Forsyth's defending is much improved, and he stills does his trademark bombing runs. I haven't been this excited about the wide back pair since i watched Higginbotham and Delap. 

Russell has the same amount of league assists! Not bad considering he comes off the bench alot, but we never seem to score in front of the South Stand.. Odd.

I think the point pertaining to his maturity is very pertinent. If you look back to the Leicester game last year, it was due to his jitteriness that he conceded that penalty during a vital period. Since the back end of last season he has not looked like the doe-eyed-bandy-legged boy he seemed when he first came, he really has become a man.

I think the point pertaining to his maturity is very pertinent. If you look back to the Leicester game last year, it was due to his jitteriness that he conceded that penalty during a vital period. Since the back end of last season he has not looked like the doe-eyed-bandy-legged boy he seemed when he first came, he really has become a man.

Agreed.I think Mac and Co. have worked wonders with him.

Forsyth doesn't go as forward as much as last season, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

All the best teams over the past few years have always had one fullback which gets forward, and one which is naturally taller and stays back to form a three-man defence.

Barcelona - Dani Alves going forward, Abidal staying back

Bayern - Lahm going forward, Boeteng staying back

Spain - Jordi Alba going forward, Arbeloa or Sergio Ramos staying back

Real Madrid - Marcelo going forward, Carvajal staying back

Chelsea - Ashley Cole going forward, Ivanovic staying back

Now that we have Christie bombing forward, Forsyth is the fullback charged with dropping back and he's doing a good job defensively.

Forsyth doesn't go as forward as much as last season, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

All the best teams over the past few years have always had one fullback which gets forward, and one which is naturally taller and stays back to form a three-man defence.

Now that we have Christie bombing forward, Forsyth is the fullback charged with dropping back and he's doing a good job defensively.

Well said, Bris. One of Barcelona's downfalls in recent years came from trying to impose a system with two bombing fullbacks in Alves and Alba, which left the centrebacks too prone to counterattacks due to the backline being overly narrow. I think Forsyth is much more suited to being the 'holder' per se as he can cross from deep pretty well, and of course his height and defensive instincts are very suitable to the position.

Well said, Bris. One of Barcelona's downfalls in recent years came from trying to impose a system with two bombing fullbacks in Alves and Alba, which left the centrebacks too prone to counterattacks due to the backline being overly narrow. I think Forsyth is much more suited to being the 'holder' per se as he can cross from deep pretty well, and of course his height and defensive instincts are very suitable to the position.

100% agree!

As Jamie Carragher said to Gary Neville, no child dreams of being a full back. They are either failed wingers like Steve Buckley, Christie and Forsyth or centre backs who didn't grow enough like Mickey Forsyth or Gary Neville.

We are lucky that our converted wingers are 6'2"/3".

As I said in a parallel thread and echoing the posts up above.....last season, the strategy appeared to be primarily Wisdom hold and Forsyth to have more of a license to go forward. This year, possibly as part of the unknown factor of Christie, it appears more the other way round.

Would assume also that as teams increasingly set up for Christie pushing forward, the team will be instructed/ intelligent enough to switch play etc....

I think one qualm I would have with Christie, which is true of many young defenders, is that he doesn't communicate enough. In the Bournemouth game there was a moment where he didn't pass on the man he was marking and ended up caught between the two, in a potentially bad situation.

It is, I think one of the main reasons why defensive players are not 'as good as they used to be". A lack of talking and unease at communicating is the downfall of defensive play, which is the most collabarative part of football.

Not quite, Russell has 4, so does Christie.

Still impressive though.

Bayern 2012/13 alaba and lahm both attacked at the same time to confuse opponents and to put pressure on them with javi martinez and schweinsteiger shifting into defence

Archived