Is it because I am black?

i-Ram

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about the awkward silence. In truth I thought I had been suspended or banned, because I could not access post-server update, but Daveo and the mods I contacted today have confirmed it is just a sausage system.

Where do I begin. In no particular order a big thanks to Cisse, Davenport, Boycie, RLACML, and a good few others. RLACML you can't possibly know whether I am racist because you don't really know me, but I am pleased to confirm to you that you are quite correct. I hope we meet up sometime and you can look me in the eyes, oh and buy me a beer. There were other replies by a good few including Jimbo and Alpha, which perhaps supported my suggestion that Dawks for some reason given his footballing abilities seems to get far to much stick than others. CheltenhamRam thank you for your comment:-

No wonky pint, and appreciate the compliment, but don't you undermine your "race is simply not a factor in 2014" by your "apart" ending? In fact I think you reinforce my point.

Albert I was not "making fun of racism" I was using humour to highlight the seriousness of racism. FunkyRam, really sorry you saw my post as "blatant racism"' and the "most racist post for some while" on this Forum. I am also really sorry you could not come back to Boycie regarding his Ali G references too? Are you not up for debate, or is it just too easy to scream "Racist". Tell me where do you stand on the following joke:-

Stevie Wonder is being interviewed, and he is asked the question "it must have been a tremendous disadvantage in life being born blind" and he replies "well it could have been worse, I am American and I could have been born black". To you is that a funny joke, is it a racist joke, or is a social comment on how racism still greatly affects a large number of black Americans?

UptheRams not really sure what to say to you. I did not call anyone a racist, nor did I attempt to suggest that anyone on this Forum was a racist. I have no idea whether there are any racists on the forum, as like I indicated to RLACML earlier in this note you need to look into people's eyes and soul to really know. You cannot tell on social medium unless comments are expressly made. What I would say is that I have been to enough (away) fixtures this last 9 months to know that an element of racism still exists on the terraces, some of which arises from conscious thought, and some that comes from the sub-conscious. You can question my intelligence, but I question yours, as at least I do know you don't have to name or identify specific people in order to argue or indeed prove racism may exist. Just a couple of other replies to posts; SRG happy to be secretary of the Dawks Appreciation Society and Ramnut I much enjoyed your very clever reply to the dilemma which is "talking about racism".

In summary, I think it is perfectly healthy to debate the racism on forums like these. A lot of the time we are simply regurgitating tired or meaningless threads. You could argue all day long that I could have raised the matter in a different, perhaps more serious way, but I am who I am and to be honest I am crying out to everyone now - please don't let the PC brigade drive satire away. As Angry Ram points out, let's not get to the situation where when playing snooker I have to nominate "the colour one up from pink".

Not sure what I am going to do next in truth. Certainly I am going to have a few days away from the Forum which is a shame really as there have been other postings today which ordinarily I would have ripped the pi$$ out of. If I don't come back, do me 3 favours:-

Get behind Dawks 100%

Don't let people scream racist, sexist, homophobe, or whatever to stop you having a grown up discussion on serious matters

Keep AmericanRam on his toes for me; those white Americans have if far to easy.

Fella you're a good poster who always makes me laugh.. Don't let the saddo's make you feel you need to have some time out.. Post what you want (within reason of course), when you want. As soon as someone shouts racist, it's easy to walk away as most feel it is unwinable row.. It's not, they just want to take the moral, look at me I'm a fookin saint, high ground. People fought wars for freedom of speech, lets all use it.

:angry:

Not going to lie... this has crossed my mind.

Not on here but, in more general audiences (Facebook comments are always a good example), Dawkins is literally HATED. Every time a line-up is announced and he features, I see criticism I've never seen of any other player for quite some time. I've never seen Russell get this reaction.

Without a doubt though, Dawkins has played better than Russell this season. I don't really think anyone can argue against that. He was poor towards the end of last season but he's had a handful of really sterling performances so far. Russell has done nothing of any note whatsoever. I don't blame the OP for questioning why this is and I also don't blame him for bringing race into it - it's an obvious difference between the two.

HOWEVER, I've personally rubbished the idea that Derby fans are racist. I've settled on the fact that a lot of the commenters might not go to games and only remember the really standout things each of them has done. Russell scores more goals and will always end up making more highlight-reel contributions. Not to mention scoring a screamer against Forest will always help.

Ibe seems popular as well, despite us not having seen much of him. That's a pretty crucial point to make if you're even going to bring up this topic.

Sorry about the awkward silence. In truth I thought I had been suspended or banned, because I could not access post-server update, but Daveo and the mods I contacted today have confirmed it is just a sausage system.

Where do I begin. In no particular order a big thanks to Cisse, Davenport, Boycie, RLACML, and a good few others. RLACML you can't possibly know whether I am racist because you don't really know me, but I am pleased to confirm to you that you are quite correct. I hope we meet up sometime and you can look me in the eyes, oh and buy me a beer. There were other replies by a good few including Jimbo and Alpha, which perhaps supported my suggestion that Dawks for some reason given his footballing abilities seems to get far to much stick than others. CheltenhamRam thank you for your comment:-

No wonky pint, and appreciate the compliment, but don't you undermine your "race is simply not a factor in 2014" by your "apart" ending? In fact I think you reinforce my point.

Albert I was not "making fun of racism" I was using humour to highlight the seriousness of racism. FunkyRam, really sorry you saw my post as "blatant racism"' and the "most racist post for some while" on this Forum. I am also really sorry you could not come back to Boycie regarding his Ali G references too? Are you not up for debate, or is it just too easy to scream "Racist". Tell me where do you stand on the following joke:-

Stevie Wonder is being interviewed, and he is asked the question "it must have been a tremendous disadvantage in life being born blind" and he replies "well it could have been worse, I am American and I could have been born black". To you is that a funny joke, is it a racist joke, or is a social comment on how racism still greatly affects a large number of black Americans?

UptheRams not really sure what to say to you. I did not call anyone a racist, nor did I attempt to suggest that anyone on this Forum was a racist. I have no idea whether there are any racists on the forum, as like I indicated to RLACML earlier in this note you need to look into people's eyes and soul to really know. You cannot tell on social medium unless comments are expressly made. What I would say is that I have been to enough (away) fixtures this last 9 months to know that an element of racism still exists on the terraces, some of which arises from conscious thought, and some that comes from the sub-conscious. You can question my intelligence, but I question yours, as at least I do know you don't have to name or identify specific people in order to argue or indeed prove racism may exist. Just a couple of other replies to posts; SRG happy to be secretary of the Dawks Appreciation Society and Ramnut I much enjoyed your very clever reply to the dilemma which is "talking about racism".

In summary, I think it is perfectly healthy to debate the racism on forums like these. A lot of the time we are simply regurgitating tired or meaningless threads. You could argue all day long that I could have raised the matter in a different, perhaps more serious way, but I am who I am and to be honest I am crying out to everyone now - please don't let the PC brigade drive satire away. As Angry Ram points out, let's not get to the situation where when playing snooker I have to nominate "the colour one up from pink".

Not sure what I am going to do next in truth. Certainly I am going to have a few days away from the Forum which is a shame really as there have been other postings today which ordinarily I would have ripped the pi$$ out of. If I don't come back, do me 3 favours:-

Get behind Dawks 100%

Don't let people scream racist, sexist, homophobe, or whatever to stop you having a grown up discussion on serious matters

Keep AmericanRam on his toes for me; those white Americans have if far to easy.

Can't believe I just read through all that self-obsessed cr@p, especially seeing as you started the thread in the first place. Come back when you grow up.

I think it's down to two things.

1) his casual style. It's very rare he looks like he's in a hurry. He looks like he's playing on a park with his mates.

Sort of the opposite of Sammon who looks like he's hurrying but is actually panicking that he's managed to bring the ball under control and hasn't planned this far ahead.

You hear the shouts at the iPro. "Get into them and fook them up" and such. The fans want to see energy and aggression and passion. They don't appreciating keeping shape.

Dawkins has that casual style about him. He's quiet and easy going.

So when things aren't going great he's the first target for being so unconcerned.

2) his position. What does winger mean in this country? Let's be honest we don't want Iniesta and Fabregas. A winger is suppose to be fast, energetic and hit that byline. We don't want none of this foreign cutting inside stuff looking to play off teammates. We want Zaha. We want 10 stepovers, 3 nutmegs and a cross that goes out of play for a throw in on the far side.

This Dawkins guy is a central midfielder. A forward should score. A winger should cross. He does neither he can't be an attacking player.

Basically I'm saying if Iniesta came to Derby we'd boo him. He's too slow, never beats his man, never scores and doesn't cross.

Dawkins is a **** Iniesta. Who's also ****.

The original post is latent with ambiguity.

It exists as a post-structuralist deconstruction of attitudes towards racism.

It questions both the integrity of the critics who - it is suggested - may be less than fair in their assessment of a player, due to a latent white racist attitude which it is implied exists within a landscape of cultural and ethnic difference.

The text implies both a white majority and a black minority and alludes to the struggles of the minority for acceptance, meeting prejudice and hostility along the way. We might conclude that this allusion would be impossible without the reality of 18th and 19th century western cultural and technical dominance, the colonisation and rape of Africa, the miserable and shameful history of slavery and black emancipation, and the subsequent struggle of a displaced people to find a new home within the cold industrialised heartland of an idealised mother land.

The character of Dawkins is used to invoke a situation laden with meaning.

However there is another side: another slipperiness within the text which seeks to invert the established hierarchy. "Is it because I am black ?".

The words are the voice of the assumed victim as opposed to the alleged aggressor .

The author does not say for example - "is it because he is black".The author assumes the voice of the victim and seems to almost mock the plaintive cry for acceptance. It ridicules the victims of racism by alluding to a sham and superficial defence which exists in the mind of our tory host as just another lame excuse. The excuse for under achievement in an imaginary meritocracy. Now the words infer to a clash of cultural values, the rage of the protestant work ethic, and the crack of the whip over a forced black congregation. Those who are supposedly work shy in the minds eye of the master, but who are in reality beaten to the point of exhaustion - both physically and mentally defeated.

And so the meaning shifts its attention from from the third party spectator, to the victim, and ultimately to the aggressor, and the reader is drawn in to this maelstrom and is forced to question not only his or her own values but also the values of others, including the author. We are forced once again into an uncomfortable confrontation with the present and the past.

And all because he's got no left foot.

That's easy for you to say.......... :ph34r:

What planet are you on i-Ram. You basically label people racists for criticizing Dawkins then come back with a pissy post about ''Don't let people scream racist, sexist, homophobe, or whatever to stop you having a grown up discussion on serious matters''

?Seriously wtf. That is what you did!!!

The thing I like about Dawkins is that he hardly gives the ball away. He seems to always stick with it in most situations. He needs to try take a man on now and again or do something!

I want to see Ibe next game thoe so direct! So many wingers at the moment and Don't think it's working to well chopping and changing all the time!

its not because your black its because you have no end product.

You run into cul-de-sacs of defenders.

Your not a CF, your not a winger.

You rarely shoot and have no power.

Ward is a greater goal threat, russell seems to manage some good assists with crosses and has a hard shot from distance.

What can you offer dawkins?

Ibe to start for me in the next game

What planet are you on i-Ram. You basically label people racists for criticizing Dawkins then come back with a pissy post about ''Don't let people scream racist, sexist, homophobe, or whatever to stop you having a grown up discussion on serious matters''

?Seriously wtf. That is what you did!!!

Had to come back on. You UTR seem to have lost the wit from your status.

You need to read first before you try debating. I never ever labelled anyone as a racist, I asked the question whether anyone else felt if the unusual amount of negativity Dawkins got was not simply related to his footballing abilities; and whether race/colour might be a factor. As you will see, if you could read, a few others did think it MIGHT be a factor. A few including FunkyRam felt the post was racist, or I was racist, but I see he has disappeared when challenged regarding his views on people using comedy to raise awareness and debate on serious issues.

Archived