Lewis Baker - Derby Telegraph

Gypsy Ram

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Report-links-Derby-County-Chelsea-youngster-Baker/story-22911807-detail/story.html

DERBY County have been linked with a loan move for young Chelsea midfielder Lewis Baker, according to reports.

Leeds United are also said to be monitoring the highly-rated 19-year-old, who  has been at Stamford Bridge since the age of nine and has progressed through the ranks to captain the under-21 side last season.

Leeds scouts have been to watch the promising midfielder but the report claims  the Rams are monitoring his situation as well. 

Baker has represented England at under-17 and under-19 level, scoring nine goals in 14 appearances for the U19 side and played in the Blues' FA Cup victory over the Rams at the iPro Stadium last season.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come Middlesbrough are not in there then? My Boro mate sent me a text hour ago with a link 3 clubs included us linked with this player. Do we need really need another midfielder? For me we don't need to imo. He signed 5 years contract at Chelsea other week.

Would prefer Ake

You wouldn't. 

Baker is comfortably Chelsea's best youth prospect - there is no debate about that. Solanke is also up there but he's still young.

Baker is an absolute engine at U21 level, he is a box-to-box midfielder with an eye-watering goal record but he has so much to his game.He would be a good asset to have, but I don't think we're the best suit for him. He'd be competing for a position from day one and he wouldn't fit the defensive role too well. 

If Hendrick was out for 6 months then by all means, but we have one loan left. I would save that for when the time arrives, or find another defensive midfielder (Diego Poyet) and move Mascarell more forward.

No not really short term for Hendrick he'll be back in few weeks so what the point... Coutts is very near back from injury.

The latest reports I've heard on Hendrick say he'll hopefully be back in early October, so he'll miss at least the 6 games we have left in September.  Plus Coutts is still struggling according to the DET today.

Also, this video is quite good if you want to see what type of player he is. He's very much high energy, athletic and through the middle. 

If we're going extremities, I'd say he had a likeliness of Yaya Toure.

*I must point out, this is on around six viewings of my own and some peoples recommendations.  :lol:

I've written a couple of articles about him - he's highly rated by Jose Mourinho who reckons he's destined to be an England international.

I've always seen him as a creative midfielder, perhaps one to play as the furthest of a midfield three and break into the box - a similar role to Bryson I guess.

You wouldn't. 

Baker is comfortably Chelsea's best youth prospect - there is no debate about that. Solanke is also up there but he's still young.

Baker is an absolute engine at U21 level, he is a box-to-box midfielder with an eye-watering goal record but he has so much to his game.He would be a good asset to have, but I don't think we're the best suit for him. He'd be competing for a position from day one and he wouldn't fit the defensive role too well. 

If Hendrick was out for 6 months then by all means, but we have one loan left. I would save that for when the time arrives, or find another defensive midfielder (Diego Poyet) and move Mascarell more forward.

Woah woah woah. What happened to Ibe? Do you always move on this quickly?

Archived