Nottingham Forest v Derby County

Ovis aries

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite proud of the battling performance in the end, would have took the draw beforehand and think we might even have won it but for the long stoppage which disrupted our best period (was it our fans or theirs, couldn't tell on TV) and obviously the sending off.

The ref was very poor for the second match in a row unfortunately and with the ridiculous booking of Eustace early on it was quite likely there was going to be someone taking an early bath, whether Buxton heard the whistle or not, their player was clearly playing on so surely he is obliged to make the tackle, and he did win the ball, so not sure the reasoning the ref would give for it.

A tough match for Shotton to make his league debut, he did struggle to contain Antonio but stuck at it, Christies pace might have been useful though perhaps Steve thinks he is more effective going forwards than defending.

Keogh was outstanding, one of his best games for the club, Hughes played very well in second half especially too.

Bryson and Russell I felt were quite disappointing again, Dawkins played better in the second half, involved in alot of the better moves before he had to go and fill in at left back. All the subs did pretty well.

Would take a win and a draw in the next couple of games against tough opponents and that could set us up nicely hopefully .

Having read the entire thread, the only conclusion I can come to (apart from Bucko playing the game in a red mist) is that people are biased against particular players and no matter how well or badly they play, nothing will ever sway them from that opinion.

According to some of you, McClaren needed to take off EIGHT players at one time or another.

Barmy.

Suppose Buxton could have treaded a bit more carefully as he did go in a bit like a bull in a china shop and this ref was always going to take the bait given half a chance, but would be interested to know what reason he would put for the second booking, time wasting or perhaps thinking the second player was kicked (when actually he dived). Or was it for the first foul I dunno!

Not sure what all the fuss is on here about Hughes.

He had a decent game but it was far from a standout performance. I would even go as far to say that he was poor first half though he improved significantly in the second as did the whole team.

A poor game in terms of quality but very watchable and a better result for Derby than Forest.

It's nice to see Pearce doing well but I only wish it was for a different club.

It's impossible to say who will be in the mix because the Championship is 20 very average sides with a couple of near certanties for relegation and Norwich, who for me will walk the league.

He played football away at Forest, which is nothing short of miraculous. 

Suppose Buxton could have treaded a bit more carefully as he did go in a bit like a bull in a china shop and this ref was always going to take the bait given half a chance, but would be interested to know what reason he would put for the second booking, time wasting or perhaps thinking the second player was kicked (when actually he dived). Or was it for the first foul I dunno!

Probably for launching himself into a silly tackle after the whistle had gone.

He only had himself to blame - it's the most brain-dead thing I've seen him do in a Derby shirt.

I'm a big Bucko fan as any forum regular would know, but he often lets the occasion get the better of him when we play Forest.

***** game.

Eustace is too slow.

The whole transition into attack is too slow. Buxton and Eustace the most guilty most often. Shotton also joined in. They kill us when we're getting pressed in.

Thorne solves everything.

I've gone from Eustace fan to Eustace doubter. He's so slow at everything

I disagree. I think Eustace is a very effective member of the team particularly on occasions like today where we knew there would be long periods where we would be under pressure & without the ball. Compare his presence to the debacle away at Leicester earlier this year where they went through our midfield (Hendrick & Hughes that day) time & time again.

As for the game in general - a point was a fair return & one I'm pretty pleased with. Keogh was magnificent & despite being very clearly outpaced by Antonio, I thought Shotton actually did very well to limit the damage down that side. His defending is superior to Christie's in my opinion which is why he got picked & I think the selection was justified.

Obviously there wasn't much football being played but in such a petty & fractious fixture, it was never likely to happen. Forest closed down very well in the first half & only when their fitness started to flag a bit in the second, were we were able to play a bit. Ultimately we were hampered by a lack of quality in the final 3rd - Martin got very little service as Bryson, Dawkins & Russell struggled to make a mark on the game. Minor gripe however - this is our toughest fixture of the year safely negotiated.

Really? Funny the bloke he was marking got MOTM. On an earlier point, Keogh left Assombalonga for the goal because Antonio had run through unchallenged. Shotton was behind him and I suspect gave him a shout However, Shotton didn't get a challenge in, even though Assombalonga fell over.

Christie for me on Wednesday

Shotton was too far wide for to realustically cover - he was marking a wide man. Bucko was 5 yards infront of antonio. If Keogh had stayed on his man abtonio would either habe had to shoot (from a long way out) or stop and play it wide.

Keogh left asombalonga in space, an easy pass for antonio and asombalonga got an easy chance in the box. The reason he could turn Shotton easily is the pace Shotton had to move at to make up the ground on him made changing direction difficult.

Bad call by Keogh

Happy with a point. Afew small Things I learnt from today:

Andy Reid is still a fat horrible little leprechaun **** hole.

Shotton is slower than I thought, But he got the goal, so I'm not going to go into how bad he got fingered by Antonio first half.

Hughes for his age really is quality. In such a phisical game, most youngsters go hiding, but he never does. Done his reputation no harm today.

Keogh makes me **** myself anytime the balls at his feet (as normal)

We missed ward.

Bryson needs a couple goals to get him going again.

Dawkins is an impact player. Would like to see Ibe start next game.

Buxton had a bad day at the office and his frustration shone through (see red card.)

Russell needs a shave.

Leon best is Drake.

Good result in the circumstances and thought we really controlled the game for the first 20 minutes of the second half. Those pr1cks who ran on to the pitch took the momentum away from us.

Dawkins actually looked good in the middle of the park. He's wasted out wide as he offers little going froward but he's neat in the middle and did far more than Bryson who was poor and wasteful.

Hughes different class.

The referee terrible.

Scrappy goal to score but we'll take that.

Buxton should be fined. I'm sorry but what he did was purely childish and the occasion got to him - there was no need, especially on a yellow card.

Seems alot of our players who performed so well last season haven't turned up this year- The last 10 minutes or so our side was mostly made up of loans and freebies.

I agree with all of that, completely. Buxton was completely idiotic with that red card. Knowing him, he'll be as disappointed as we are.

Yes - and the stewards who were so hopeless. One day a player is going to get badly injured because of the incompetence of these imbeciles in hi viz jackets. And where are the police who charge such extortionate fees? Honestly, it took four blokes to get one man off the pitch. Training required methinks.

what about the gumps who jumped onto the pitch when they scored? Will they get banned? It looked to me like they were told to get back in their seats. Surely if they go on the pitch they're out.

Thought Hughes showed today he is maturing into a top draw midfield player handled the physical side better and looked the best midfield player on the pitch when on the ball.

Buxton was a little unlucky to get the second yellow silly thing to do but never a yellow allowed the ref to take a easy option.

He dipped out of what was a straight red for Lansbury for what was a awful challenge on Hughes that could have caused serious injury.

Point was about right though neither side showed much quality however we did try and keep playing the way we should and loved the way Steve through the attacking options on.

** Disclaimer: I was watching a crappy stream and had no sound (just RD) **

I'm a bit shocked at what people are saying about Bucko on here.  It looked a totally unjust booking/sending off to me, yet on hear the consensus seems to be he was being at idiot.

I'm not even sure what he was sent off for at the moment!  Can some explain this to me?

I thought he'd looked his usual classy self all game, so I puzzled by the "wrong frame of mind" comments too.  I was being distracted by screaming kids for most of the match so what was it that I'd missed?  I don't think I saw his first yellow at all!

The 2nd yellow looked to me like a tangle, player grabs his leg, he gets up and plays a blocked clearance = gets sent off???  Was there something else?  Something a couldn't see?

I thought the ref was shocking for the whole game.

Defo Keogh's goal, he had a good game apart from a few wayward passes.

I thought the back four were pretty solid as a whole, even Shotton.  I thought he had the hardest job up against Antonio but did enough.  Should have been booked for his tackle in the first half though!

Eustace I thought was ok and Hughes seemed to be doing his usual link up play as usual, probably our best player overall.

Everyone in front of them I thought were pretty poor.  It was just too scrappy; passes all over the places; seemed panicky, like the ball was a hot potato.  It just didn't really run for us, we didn't seemed to play with any fluidity, as is often the case in these games.

The biggest shame is that when the game opened up and looked like it was going to suit us and be there for the taking, the sending off happened.  Just after Mac had made the subs to have a real go.

Kind of pulled the rug from under our feet.  After that, pleased with a point!  Looking forward to the game at our place!

We also keep the BCT too. :)

^^ I thought if it had just been the initial foul then he'd possibly have gotten away with it as I'd have thought that soft for a yellow - but going lunging in after the whistle had gone was 'unwise' to say the least. At a time when the Ref had a judgement call to make already, lunging in again was obviously all the Ref needed to go for another card. Shouldn't have made it that easy for the Ref IMO.

Before B4 asks - highlights are on this page;

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9470321/sky-bet-championship-derby-county-snatch-a-point-in-fiesty-1-1-draw-with-nottingham-forest

Along with interviews etc.

Well I take lots of positives from this game. Scrappy and hard-fought, but the top team in the league didn't really trouble us a great deal. There were moments when I sensed that the flow was starting to return, and they worked their socks off for the cause. I was happy to see that Keogh is starting to rediscover himself, and the occasion probably helps, when the action is fast and frenetic and he had to rely on instincts, rather than having time for self-doubt. Thought Will grew through the match, and was unlucky several times to be bundled over without the ref seeming to be interested. I would also have taken Dawks off at half-time, but am happy to say he also got better and more effective as the game wore on, so I was wrong there. I think on balance Mac's  decisions, while at the time, puzzling, were spot-on. Definitely feeling more positive this evening.

Firstly i think the ref had a very poor game, i do think he gave a lot more to them, hughes was getting kicked about the whole first half, i made many posts about the ref not giving hughes the foul..

the match itself was pretty poor, perhaps that is because both teams cancelled each other out but i think more to do with big players not turning up..

8/10 Grant - Did well, nothing he could do about the goal

6/10 Shotton - for 65mins he got torn apart by antonio, seemed to control him better later, but i dont think he did any better than christie would have, got the goal somehow

7/10 Keogh - did well, first half his passing was poor but improved during the game, poor decision to come out and block antonio as left balonga open, bucko should have been the one to come out as was marking no one

5/10 Buxton - pretty poor overall, got dominated by balonga, should have come to block antonio for goal, and got sent off for stupidity, might give whitbread chance in the side

7/10 Forsyth - did well, got forward when he could, didnt get beaten at all, just lacked a killer cross

7/10 Eustace - Never a booking in the first half, but did what he does well, nothing special but kept us ticking along

9/10 Hughes - diff class, imo the best player on the pitch, he defended well when needed, was quality on the ball and was the focal point of the team, Antonio was great going forward but didnt defend at all, easily hughes was MOTM

5/10 Bryson - Just not the same player, not making those runs, not making an impact, terrible game, hendrick needs to come back quick

6.5/10 Dawkins - first half was pretty poor! but grew a little second half, still the same old problem, no end product

6/10 Russel - sort of like bryson, hasnt really hit the form we need him to yet, didnt do much in the game, one free kick that was close

5/10 Martin - just cut off, needed to drop deeper and get into the play more, i think the free kick said it all..

Best - Did well when he came on, difficult to make an impact when the rest of the team was poor, but played ok, unlucky about the goal

Ibe - same as best, not much he could do but looked comfortable on the ball and im looking forward to him starting more

Calero - Made a few mistakes when it was injury time, needed to run for the corner or kick it in to the corner but tried to run through players, will improve with time and against lesser teams

Archived