the hype over the premier league is cringe worthy

Sexydadbod

Watched arsenal vs besiktas last night on sky sports and the pundit paul merson must have said at least 6 or 7 times that the premier league is the best league in the world. It is almost like it seems compulsory for the pundits to mention it. He also said that all la liga plays do rubbish in the premier league which is another stupid statement as people like silva zabaleta aguero yaya toure are doing very well. Finally he said that he cant think of a better player than Wilshere as a playmaker or in tight positions. If these english plays were so world class then when do they never win anything?. Like roy keane said people are brainwashed into thinking the premier league is the best in the world

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched arsenal vs besiktas last night on sky sports and the pundit paul merson must have said at least 6 or 7 times that the premier league is the best league in the world. It is almost like it seems compulsory for the pundits to mention it. He also said that all la liga plays do rubbish in the premier league which is another stupid statement as people like silva zabaleta aguero yaya toure are doing very well. Finally he said that he cant think of a better player than Wilshere as a playmaker or in tight positions. If these english plays were so world class then when do they never win anything?. Like roy keane said people are brainwashed into thinking the premier league is the best in the world

The Premier League is probably the most competitive league in the world though with all teams able to beat each other on a given day unlike la Liga where Real Madrid , Barcelona and Athletico Madrid reign.

We have class teams like Liverpool , Everton, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs ,Man U and Chelsea who can be beaten by the likes of Villa , Southampton , Newcastle , Leicester ,Sunderland ,Burnley etc etc and it's not unusual at times.

Not very competitive as the prem has had the same amount of league winners since 2004 as la liga. Anywat small teams beat big teams in every league. I remember last season granada beat barca and osasuna despite getting relegated being atletico 3-0. Anyway big teams in england recsntly seem to be destroying smaller teams such as city beating norwich 7-0 and spurs 6-0

The Premier League is probably the most competitive league in the world though with all teams able to beat each other on a given day unlike la Liga where Real Madrid , Barcelona and Athletico Madrid reign.

We have class teams like Liverpool , Everton, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs ,Man U and Chelsea who can be beaten by the likes of Villa , Southampton , Newcastle , Leicester ,Sunderland ,Burnley etc etc and it's not unusual at times.

It isn't competitive at all...there are only 2 teams who can win the league this season...the rest are battling it out for nothingness.(chump league by finishing 4th!)

The only good thing, if you can call it that, is that any team out of the remaining teams are all worries about relegation and anyone of them could go down.

SKY are still using the oldest trick in the book.

The Sky Sports pundits are essentially, employees of Sky, and are paid to use the phrase 'The Premier League is the best league in the world'

This is a phrase dreamed up by Sky's marketing men, and its repetition is a  standard tool of subliminal product consolidation and placement.

The more people who say it, the people hear it, the more people subscribe. Listen to how many of the commentators and pundits use it on a match day ... particularly the once great commentator Martin Tyler, who is now nothing more than a Murdoch loving shadow of former glories...but he probably has a nice house, so who could blame him.

It isn't necessarily the case, that the pundits believe it to be true. Do you honestly think that John Lydon ever ate Country Life butter? He didn't, but the money was good, so he said he did.

In a nutshell - that is how the media, and in particular,how marketing works. More and more, football is being to a greater degree every day.

More bitterness, won't be long till we are back lads.

It's funny really, when we lose this forum goes into meltdown, we need new wingers, defenders, we should be beating the likes of Charlton and Sheff Wed.....but oh no football is dead, Premier League is over hyped.....what we're at Wembley? quick we need tickets, I want to see Derby promoted to the over hyped Premier League.

Well yeah, if we were in Latvia I'm sure we'd want to be in the top flight just as badly there?

It's got nowt to do with it being the super awesome premier league. It's the top of OUR domestic pyramid. Should we not want to be in it because it boring?

Watch other leagues. Most people that say the PL is the best only watch the PL.

There's not much between any of them. They all have different styles and culture.

As for Merson's comment... More La Liga players adapt to the PL than the other way around. Muppet.

It's a myth that anyone can beat anyone. Villa are as likely to beat Chelsea as Parma to beat Juventus. The top 4 in Serie A is less predictable than the PL. The football in Germany is just as exciting and error prone. The Spanish league is unpredictable outside the top 3. More so than the PL.

It's the richest league. That much is clear. If it was as good as people made out then teams would do better in Europe. But they don't. Only the top PL sides do. Just like Spain, Germany, Italy and Portugal.

Merson needs to watch other leagues.

Well yeah, if we were in Latvia I'm sure we'd want to be in the top flight just as badly there?

It's got nowt to do with it being the super awesome premier league. It's the top of OUR domestic pyramid. Should we not want to be in it because it boring?

Watch other leagues. Most people that say the PL is the best only watch the PL.

There's not much between any of them. They all have different styles and culture.

As for Merson's comment... More La Liga players adapt to the PL than the other way around. Muppet.

It's a myth that anyone can beat anyone. Villa are as likely to beat Chelsea as Parma to beat Juventus. The top 4 in Serie A is less predictable than the PL. The football in Germany is just as exciting and error prone. The Spanish league is unpredictable outside the top 3. More so than the PL.

It's the richest league. That much is clear. If it was as good as people made out then teams would do better in Europe. But they don't. Only the top PL sides do. Just like Spain, Germany, Italy and Portugal.

Merson needs to watch other leagues.

This comment sums up my views. I dont take meraon as seriously as I used to after he said ramsey is better than ramsey and that germany are not very good

Premier league is most watched and biggest supported league in the world;as far as best all around I have to slightly disagree.I obviously want Derby in it again,but until they are I would rather watch the Eredivisie or other leagues.

Think you'll find the bundesliga is top supported league in world,then the PL, la liga, with our own league 4th. In terms of fans in the ground that is.

SKY are still using the oldest trick in the book.

The Sky Sports pundits are essentially, employees of Sky, and are paid to use the phrase 'The Premier League is the best league in the world'

This is a phrase dreamed up by Sky's marketing men, and its repetition is a standard tool of subliminal product consolidation and placement.

The more people who say it, the people hear it, the more people subscribe. Listen to how many of the commentators and pundits use it on a match day ... particularly the once great commentator Martin Tyler, who is now nothing more than a Murdoch loving shadow of former glories...but he probably has a nice house, so who could blame him.

It isn't necessarily the case, that the pundits believe it to be true. Do you honestly think that John Lydon ever ate Country Life butter? He didn't, but the money was good, so he said he did.

In a nutshell - that is how the media, and in particular,how marketing works. More and more, football is being to a greater degree every day.

Wish people were not dumb enough to fall for the trick by sky sports though

Barcelona and Real Madrid lose to a lower La Liga side virtually every season, so I don't see your point. There is absolutely nothing unique about the top sides occasionally losing to the lower ones.

In the Bundesliga especially, it's far more competitive. Yes, Bayern are there or there abouts but there's no established "top 5". 6 different clubs have won the Bundesliga in my lifetime compared to the Premier League's 5. And that's before you get into the diversity of runners-up in the Bundesliga.

The bottom half of the Prem is barely better than this league, and the top is struggling to compete with the best in Germany and Spain, although that can change season by season. But when you watch the lower Prem teams play each other, is it notably better than what we see in this league?

This comment sums up my views. I dont take meraon as seriously as I used to after he said ramsey is better than ramsey and that germany are not very good

I don't know much but I do know that Ramsey is definitely not better than Ramsey. Silly Merson

Archived