the hype over the premier league is cringe worthy

Sexydadbod

4.7bn watch the Premier League around the world, clearly a hell of a lot of people believe in the hype.

The most watched leagues in order:

Premier League

Serie A

La Liga

Bundesliga

The average TV audience for Barclays Premier League games is 12,3 M of viewers. In the second place there's Serie A Tim with 4,5 M of viewers. There's a huge gap, maybe impossible to recoup, but the reality is that

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.7bn watch the Premier League around the world, clearly a hell of a lot of people believe in the hype.

Premier League

Serie A

La Liga

Bundesliga

The average TV audience for Barclays Premier League games is 12,3 M of viewers. In the second place there's Serie A Tim with 4,5 M of viewers. There's a huge gap, maybe impossible to recoup, but the reality is that

It says a lot that the three biggest signings this season (Di Maria, Fabregas and Sanchez) have come to the PL because they're not wanted by Real/Barca any more. The best 3 players in the world (Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez) all play in La Liga.

Yet, more people watch the PL because it's just a lot more exciting. It looks good on a highlights reel, its full of pace and power and stuff that your basic football fan will like; they aren't going to appreciate the passing capabilities of Spanish teams, they just want to see people score screamers. The PL is also full of characters like Mourinho or whatever crazy Liverpool striker's about doing dumb **** that season.

Just a thoroughly entertaining league.

Like roy keane said there is no doubt that it is the best brand but best league? Not so sure

Football is entertainment, as are films, tv programmes, music etc.

There is no "best" if you really think about it, it's all down to personal opinion but clearly the Premier League attracts more viewers than any other league, must be a reason for that? with figures like that the hype is real.

Premier League

Serie A

La Liga

Bundesliga

It says a lot that the three biggest signings this season (Di Maria, Fabregas and Sanchez) have come to the PL because they're not wanted by Real/Barca any more. The best 3 players in the world (Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez) all play in La Liga.

Yet, more people watch the PL because it's just a lot more exciting. It looks good on a highlights reel, its full of pace and power and stuff that your basic football fan will like; they aren't going to appreciate the passing capabilities of Spanish teams, they just want to see people score screamers. The PL is also full of characters like Mourinho or whatever crazy Liverpool striker's about doing dumb **** that season.

Just a thoroughly entertaining league.

Although Real wanted to keep Di Maria, Barca wanted to keep Fabregas...

No one is doubting that the premier league is the most popular, it clearly is. It's a brand that is better suited for the more casual football fan though, and let's be honest, they don't know anything. The league's quality has steadily gone downhill for the past few years but I'd imagine that viewing figures have gone up. The two aren't necessarily correlated. 

Premier League is the most popular, but best league? Not any more

That's quite a statement to make for billions of people, I take it you are more knowledgeable in your opinion than the casual football fan?

I also disagree the league has gone down hill, we might not have been as competitive in Europe but the likes of Liverpool, Spurs and Everton have improved over the last few seasons and making it more entertaining at the top. Not to mention Man City and their millions coming to the party.

Premier League viewing figures are also on the increase, if the quality of football was going downhill this simply wouldn't happen regardless of your opinion of billions of people.

True, but those players wanted to leave because they wouldn't get a game. They are now stars in England

Last season

Di Maria 28 games, 6 sub

Fabregas 29 games, 7 sub

Who knows if they would have played this season? form, injuries it's impossible to say

That's quite a statement to make for billions of people, I take it you are more knowledgeable in your opinion than the casual football fan?

I also disagree the league has gone down hill, we might not have been as competitive in Europe but the likes of Liverpool, Spurs and Everton have improved over the last few seasons and making it more entertaining at the top. Not to mention Man City and their millions coming to the party.

Premier League viewing figures are also on the increase, if the quality of football was going downhill this simply wouldn't happen regardless of your opinion of billions of people.

Of course I am.

Agree to disagree on that point on the quality aspect

People don't think the quality has gone downhill. Mostly because of the hype, which brings me back to the first point

Most only view them because other leagues are not as broadcasted as much in other countries. Spoken to a lot of americans who used to think the prem was the best in the world but only coz they were not getting shown other leagues. However now it is starting to change

Of course I am.

Agree to disagree on that point on the quality aspect

People don't think the quality has gone downhill. Mostly because of the hype, which brings me back to the first point

You don't think Man City, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton have improved over the years and made it more competitive at the top?

Last season

Di Maria 28 games, 6 sub

Fabregas 29 games, 7 sub

Who knows if they would have played this season? form, injuries it's impossible to say

Barca and Real have both strengthened so the players themselves obviously think they won't play all that often.

You don't think Man City, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton have improved over the years and made it more competitive at the top?

City and Liverpool yes. 

Arsenal have got weaker. United are terrible now

Need to go out so will come back to this later

Most only view them because other leagues are not as broadcasted as much in other countries. Spoken to a lot of americans who used to think the prem was the best in the world but only coz they were not getting shown other leagues. However now it is starting to change

Because there is no huge demand for it, if Americans wanted to watch La Liga and Bundesliga TV deals would and will be done. I doubt any of the other leagues will in my time over take the Premier League.

Competitive for what though? It is a myth that up to 8 teams can win it and used as marketing purposes. Realistically it will be out of chelsea or city

Barca and Real have both strengthened so the players themselves obviously think they won't play all that often.

I'm not sure that is obvious without speaking to the players and finding out the reasons behind leaving

Archived