Ryan Shotton - Steve Nicholson

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad player.He is pretty strong on the ball and has some skills.I can see why he wants to go somewhere else to get some playing time but tbh dont see him getting much here.With that being said I would not mind having as a good backup if we can get him on a loan or for cheap but as others have said I would way more prefer getting another winger.

His Wikipedia entry (FWIW) suggests that after a promising start, he wasn't a crowds favourite and Pulis had concerns aboot his attitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Shotton

"...However he had an indifferent run of form after Christmas until the end of the season and he began the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Stoke_City_F.C._season' title="2012

I'm surprised at how many people seem to think a player with PL experience will just play back-up to Christie. After all, not too long ago, many people didn't seem to think Christie was good enough.

For the record, I'm of neither opinion. If he comes in, great. If not, we've still got one good RB.

I think comparing Pickering to Sammon is unfair on the Irishman.

With Pickering, the depths were really, really plumbed.

Don't tell anyone but bunjaku reminded me of pickering.

Agree with Derby England Loyal.

Why do some fans keep saying we need a striker??

We play 1 up front and currently have 2 centre forwards vying for the one position.

McClaren had said that Sammon was one of the 4 options to play wide.

We need a winger not a striker.

Also we have played 3 games, won 2, drew 1 and not conceded a goal.

All of a sudden some people want us to change formation. The formation that served us so well last season.

Its not the formation thats the problem. Its the fact that we arent taking our chances.

If we werent creating chances then i'd be open to a change of formation. But we are.

I'm surprised formation changes aren't used more, especially with teams who have limited options in terms of their squads. If I were the coach of such a team I'd spend all my time on the training pitch drilling the team on how to operate in 3 or 4 different formations until they reach the point that in a game you could give a command and they'd all shuffle round to their new positions but still know exactly what they need to do.

Obviously you'd start with your strongest formation but if you're struggling to create chances or coming under the kind of prolonged pressure that you know you might concede then you quickly switch it, the opposition are confused, they're unsure who they should be picking up and it takes time for them to get used to it then when they do you switch it again.

When I watch games I see teams coming under pressure and it takes time for their coaching staff to recognise what is going on and then try to come up with a solution for it which tends to be just to make like for like personnel changes so i'd imagine they'd struggle to know what to do with a well disciplined team that kept cycling through formations.

I'm surprised formation changes aren't used more, especially with teams who have limited options in terms of their squads. If I were the coach of such a team I'd spend all my time on the training pitch drilling the team on how to operate in 3 or 4 different formations until they reach the point that in a game you could give a command and they'd all shuffle round to their new positions but still know exactly what they need to do.

You need to have the players to do the job though and the coaching staff to pull it off effectively.

Nigel never seemed to settle on a formation and sometimes used to switch between 2/3 during a single game... As his coaches weren't good enough the players looked like they didn't know where they were supposed to be playing half the time... Also players like Hendrick who only seem to be able to play one position got a bit lost...

Secondly, we DO currently play a couple of formations. Macca quite often takes off our DM and sticks on a striker taking us to effectively a 4-2-4 at times.

You could also argue that a 4-3-3 is a naturally flexible formation anyway as it allows you to switch to 4-5-1 if pressed and given chance when pressing the attack more of a 3-4-3.

Ryan Shotton is from Fenton. 

He won't feel pain. He'll be like Bucko's staffie.

With a name like Shotton, surprised Forest haven't been after him. Tie a piece of string round his neck, "Spare any change?"

Archived