Is this the year Pro Evo finally becomes better than FIFA again?

Albert

I have not played PES for a few years, but I do recall the gameplay being a lot better than Fifa.  However, now both of them seem to not have improved essentially at all in those areas.  PES will never outsell Fifa just simply due to licenses that EA can get.  For instance, if your a fan of a Australian league team or even say a Polish league team why would you buy PES? I understand they have good creation tools but still.

P.S. Thank You Mods for the new post count. I am the first one on this forum to reach the million post mark! Granted, it is in the negative :cool:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not played PES for a few years, but I do recall the gameplay being a lot better than Fifa.  However, now both of them seem to not have improved essentially at all in those areas.  PES will never outsell Fifa just simply due to licenses that EA can get.  For instance, if your a fan of a Australian league team or even say a Polish league team why would you buy PES? I understand they have good creation tools but still.

P.S. Thank You Mods for the new post count. I am the first one on this forum to reach the million post mark! Granted, it is in the negative :cool:

PES' gameplay was far better during the time of PES 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 (though PES 6 wasn't as good as PES 5). The problem was the step to the next gen. EA got it all right, while Konami went backwards at a rate of knots.

Personally, being a fan of the Australia league by the way, I'd trade having it, licences etc for better gameplay, but the simple point is PES has just been rubbish for year on year at this point.

Just a shame they never pushed on and obtained more licences.

Think they lost the Champions League now too.

It would be a shame because they're just not making a very good game anymore.

I hope so. But doubt it.

PES 1 to PES 6 (on PS1 and 2 - the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of 6 were horrible) were miles ahead of FIFA. I even stuck with PES throughout the last gen era purely in the hope it would return to its best. Obviously it didn't. I've got FIFA 14 on PS4 and although I enjoyed it early on, having played it on and off for nearly a year it's been revealed to be the 7/10 game FIFA always has been. PES 14 on 360 beforehand though was horrible - a massive step back from 13 which I thought was pretty decent.

They desperately need to stop releasing a new cash cow every year and just develop a new game over the usual 2-3 years and then just patch in new teams and kits as and when.

I think it was the demo of pes 2013 perhaps, had to sit through a 10 minute presentation you couldn't skip, then go through the tutorial, completing that before it would let you play half a match

They somehow made the control scheme ridiculously, unnecessarily tricky and unintuitive - getting through the tutorial was hard work in itself because most of the instructions were terribly (and wrongly) worded, and the aforementioned control scheme required timing for some very simple things to be precise within about 0.2 seconds.

I fluked my way through, played a match and... no rematch option, another presentation, and then dumped out of the demo completely, forcing you to start the unskippable presentation again!

Needless to say they didn't get any of my money.

Actually I'm going to have some fun with this and predict what Konami will call the Championship teams if they don't have them licensed. Partly based on what some teams were called when they were in the "English League" on PES.

Birmingham City - West Midlands City

Blackburn Rovers - Lancashire

Blackpool - Booktale

Bolton Wanderers - Middlebrook

Bournemouth - Dorset

Brentford - West London Bees

Brighton & Hove Albion - Sussex

Cardiff City - South Wales

Charlton Athletic - South East London Reds

Derby County - Derbyshire

Fulham - West London White

Huddersfield Town - Calderdale

Ipswich Town - Suffolk Town

Leeds United - Yorkshire

Middlesbrough - Teesside

Millwall - South East London Blues

Norwich City - Norfolk City

Nottingham Forest - Sherwood

Reading - Berkshire Blues

Rotherham United - South East Yorkshire

Sheffield Wednesday - South Yorkshire Stripes

Watford - Hertfordshire

Wigan Athletic - Lancashire Athletic

Wolverhampton Wanderers - Wolves

I haven't played Fifa so far but twice a year we play Champions League tournament with PES 5. Own team, playing ourselves with fix, "few" beers, barbeque and of course 8 players at the same time.

Not sure can you have better time.

No no no. You're all missing the point.

It doesn't matter which is more realistic - in fact, I tend to favour whichever is more ridiculous.

FIFA's ridiculous. It sets itself up as a slick, realistic, cool game flying the flag of the sanctioning body of the world's most popular sport.

And yet....it does this.

Until you've scored a winning goal against Forest with a white Miles Addison, or won a school tournament via a wonderstrike from Billy Kee against a defenseless John Pantsil who was for some reason in goal, you can't say you've given FIFA a go.

FIFA isn't a game. Well, it is, but it's a terrible one. It's a lifestyle, to which PES will never have an answer.

When the playing Fifa 14 the other night... A long pass was played through to the striker...my keeper came out and flattened him, two defenders running back to the ball tripped over the keeper, then they all fell over each other in a desperate attempt to reach the ball as it trickled towards goal. Eventually another player ran in and tapped it in from a yard. I was too busy laughing to even be annoyed. Seen a lot of crazy moments like that in Fifa 14 to make it enjoyable, gameplay itself is pretty turdly but the stupid random moments add a rare quality. Takes me back to Fifa 98...

That video is fantastic!

Overall, their is not a huge improvement it seems like from EA this year(what else is new).Through some articles I have read about early test plays the CM mode has improved a little in team management,scouting,and other areas but nothing too excitable.New GK AI looks promising but we will see.

I will buy Fifa as I always do but I do hope it is not as buggy as last year.Over the past few years I have played multiple seasons with Derby,but then played in other leagues also(Had Freiburg for a few seasons along with Napoli).Anyone else play CM with some team other than Derby?

Archived