Leon Best set to join Derby on season-long loan - DET

admira

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm quite happy with what appears to be a relatively risk free signing.  If it works out for the best then we've got a player on our hands whose parent club are looking to move him on and if it doesn't we can send him back to Blackburn no damage done.  He's going to be coming in knowing that, as it currently stands, he is behind Chris Martin in the pecking order but in the knowledge that should he play well when called upon he may be given more of a chance to shine.....resulting in the competition necessary to keep Martin on his toes and at the top of his game.  His goal record hasn't been outstanding but he has got a wealth of experience at Championship level and has played a decent amount of Premier League football, as well as gaining international experience.  For a loan signing from another team at this level, I'm not sure we could have found much better.

Pleased with this. As has been said, is only loan so if it turns out to be dud then no permanent damage.

From what I've seen of him, he's really strong and good in the air so is much more of a replacement for Martin if required than anyone else we have.

Win, win. We don't shell out mega cash and we get a player who undoubtedly has talent and is hopefully looking to get back to his best. 

I also heard that he had other options but wanted to come here to work with Mac which if true, is a good sign. 

Not sure.

He's obviously been a bit of a disaster as a major signing for blackburn.

We will also have had to pay a decent loan fee so it won't be a freebie either......

but there aren't that many options.

He is more suited to playing centrally than bamford was.

And he must be better than tyson, or luke moore or some of the other rubbish we've had.

I agree, I am a bit unsure but although its a wages cost he may have enough about him to provide a decent threat if Martin is either injured or off form. He also will provide something a little different to Martin if Mac wants to change things toward the end of games. Best AND Martin up front for the final 15/20 mins could be interesting.

Could be an inspired signing. A number of times last season we'd bring on Sammon for the last 15 minutes, the opposition would be in disarray at our new shape but Sammon would go on to miss the chances he got. Best is strong, good in the air and a good finisher (or at least better than Sammon). He could well win us some points this season.

My main concern would be how he'd work as an alternative to Martin, should Martin get injured. We were never going to get anyone on Martin's level though, so once again we just have to hope that doesn't happen.

Pleased with the signing, not sure we could have got anyone better and he's costing us a (relative) pittance for a year's service.

Not sure.

He's obviously been a bit of a disaster as a major signing for blackburn.

We will also have had to pay a decent loan fee so it won't be a freebie either......

but there aren't that many options.

He is more suited to playing centrally than bamford was.

And he must be better than tyson, or luke moore or some of the other rubbish we've had.

I think that Blackburn will be so desperate to offload some of his obscene wages that there'll be a nominal loan fee at best. He is surplus to requirements there. 

Archived