Big Club - Small Club chat

RLACML

Read the third paragraph of Alphas post again

I read it. Technically we have a lot more money than Wigan but I realise that's not what he meant. Wigan's parachute payments will run out (they won't go up), they'll have to cut their cloth, attendances will drop, and Wigan will go back to their natural position in the lower leagues. Ten years of success doesn't make a club big.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my estimation, being considered a big club is more about success on the pitch. Of course that helps, but I also think that the amount of fans a team has, the respect they get from other teams, etc, should be factors also.  When looking at Wigan and ours successes on the pitch, their is not one that totally crushes the other imo.

I read it. Technically we have a lot more money than Wigan but I realise that's not what he meant. Wigan's parachute payments will run out (they won't go up), they'll have to cut their cloth, attendances will drop, and Wigan will go back to their natural position in the lower leagues. Ten years of success doesn't make a club big.

So you really think we are a big club then?

Only big clubs are the top 6 of the premier.... The rest of the Prem and majority of championship are the same pretty much looking for any leftovers....

Derby are exactly the same as Wigan.... All looking for meat off the bone that's been left over from all the big boys. We're all the same.

Derby were I imagine very similar in late 60s/70s to Wigan of recent times (last decade or so) smallish provincial club who did punch well above there weight. It's just that Wigan have done well in the last decade or so compared to us lot. To say there natural position is lower is pure folly. They are way they are on merit.... Same as us....

So you really think we are a big club then?

Only big clubs are the top 6 of the premier.... The rest of the Prem and majority of championship are the same pretty much looking for any leftovers....

Derby are exactly the same as Wigan.... All looking for meat off the bone that's been left over from all the big boys. We're all the same.

Derby were I imagine very similar in late 60s/70s to Wigan of recent times (last decade or so) smallish provincial club who did punch well above there weight. It's just that Wigan have done well in the last decade or so compared to us lot. To say there natural position is lower is pure folly. They are way they are on merit.... Same as us....

I never said we were a big club, I said we were a bigger club than Wigan. 

We won the league twice in the 70's, Wigan's highest finish was 10th. Hardly very similar. We had won the league twice before Wigan even joined the league. Fair doos to them, they've come a long way for a nothing club but I think they've reached their peak. 

Shouldn't this be in Sheikh Shaggers talk? It's their sort of discussion. Why the hell does it matter a damn? As a Derby fan, my club are the biggest in the world as far as you I am concerned - but I'm not going to attempt to ram it down anyone else's throat. It would be pointless. If they are a genuine football fan, then their club would be the biggest in the world to them and nothing I say or do could ever change that..

If were both in the Premiership; Who would be the most attractive to play/manage?

A club with - guaranteed full houses, top of the range academy, ever improving training facilities,former England manager...

OR

A club with - a average home gate of 14k, FA cup winners 2013, a sin in Europe, not being a footballing town..

If were both in the Premiership; Who would be the most attractive to play/manage?

A club with - guaranteed full houses, top of the range academy, ever improving training facilities,former England manager...

OR

A club with - a average home gate of 14k, FA cup winners 2013, a sin in Europe, not being a footballing town..

Whoever pays the most....

OR

Ah, this is potential. Derby has a lot in place and a lot going for it. We have the big set up but when it comes to how influential and powerful we are we are very much behind the likes of Stoke and up until recently Wigan.

Do I think Wigan are bigger than Derby? No

I think we're similar. But if pushed for an answer then if look at the sort of players Wigan have been buying, the prices they've paid, the money they get for their players, what division they play in, any trophies or European football or anything like that

And I'd look for that inside the last 6/7 years or so. And Derby can't touch Wigan. So if pushed for an answer I'd say Wigan are a bigger name right now.

I see no reason why Derby can't match that. We have the foundations.

That's why I think right now the original statement is spot on imo. A similar size club.

Ah, this is potential. Derby has a lot in place and a lot going for it. We have the big set up but when it comes to how influential and powerful we are we are very much behind the likes of Stoke and up until recently Wigan.

Do I think Wigan are bigger than Derby? No

I think we're similar. But if pushed for an answer then if look at the sort of players Wigan have been buying, the prices they've paid, the money they get for their players, what division they play in, any trophies or European football or anything like that

And I'd look for that inside the last 6/7 years or so. And Derby can't touch Wigan. So if pushed for an answer I'd say Wigan are a bigger name right now.

I see no reason why Derby can't match that. We have the foundations.

That's why I think right now the original statement is spot on imo. A similar size club.

Living outside Derbyshire/Greater Manchester I'd agree, only 6 big clubs in England, rest interchangeable.

Derby County are bigger than Wigan Athletic by a huge margin based on history and fanbase. 

Wigan currently have more money to spend on fees and wages.

So, it depends on what you mean by bigger really.

In the 1970's Stafford Rangers were a bigger club than Wigan.

Preston North End have history too but unfortunately they haven't done anything in so long, it's irrelevant.

When talking about club size, I always think about how they are perceived now. If Manchester City were to be relegated this season, they would still be a huge club because of their recent history. However look at Portsmouth who went on the slide not long after their FA cup win. Their recent history did nothing for them. Wigan are similar. Won an FA cup but made no waves in Europe and didn't achieve promotion. They are heading downwards in terms of their size. That doesn't mean they are smaller than us though, because we missed out promotion too. I think many football fans would see Wigan as a bigger club than us. But if Wigan finished midtable this year and we went up, we'd probably overtake them.

A club's size is essentially their reputation in the footballing world. Of which recent history only plays a small part, and distant history plays an even smaller part.

In the 1970's Stafford Rangers were a bigger club than Wigan.

Basically this. But 40 years later, things have changed, and they will continue to change as time goes on.

Maybe one day, Forest will be a bigger club than us. Who knows?

Archived