Big Club - Small Club chat

RLACML

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the past we where a big club, looking to the future, we want to be a big club.

This arguement/discussion cannot be settled, ask any gump, if your first defence is to look back historically the only clubs that should be allowed to be called big are the ones that founded the league...

If you look now, the big clubs are the ones with the backers, money, players and current success records. There are plenty of 'big' clubs in terms of rich backers and have wasted money - forest, cardiff, blackburn, us and achieved a bag full of SFA.

In terms of support we are bigger than a lot of premier teams, in terms of earning power we are smaller than a lot of premier teams.

Leeds are a big club, might be going through tough times lately but to argue differently is just plain stupid.

Did Glasgow Rangers become a small club over night when they were banished to division 3 ?

Glasgow Rangers are clearly more powerful than any of the teams they're competing with.

Why are Leeds a big club then? Could they attract better players than Burnley? Or Brighton? Why are they selling their best player to Fulham (small club). When was the last time they played in the top flight? When did they last win anything?

If Wigan sold match tickets for

Glasgow Rangers are clearly more powerful than any of the teams they're competing with.

Why are Leeds a big club then? Could they attract better players than Burnley? Or Brighton? Why are they selling their best player to Fulham (small club). When was the last time they played in the top flight? When did they last win anything?

If Wigan sold match tickets for

Getting to the premier league and having money to spend doent make a club "big"

Did I say that? If you're going to debate with me can you at least listen to my points and not make things up for me?

You effectively did.

I didn't.

I said Wigan are a similar size to a Derby. If pushed for an answer then I'd have to say Wigan are bigger because for the last 10 years they've been bigger financially and better on the pitch.

There's big clubs like Chelsea, City, United etc. it doesn't matter what City's attendance was at Maine Road. It doesn't matter how many titles Chelsea won before Jose. These are huge clubs.

Then from midtable PL through most the championship and some of L1 clubs are a similar size. It doesn't matter how many fans Derby get or how many months Burnley spend in the PL or how much Brighton paid for a CB. All have the same ambition and could interchange places over night. Villa could be midtable Championship in 5 years. Brighton could be midtable PL. None will reach the Champions League without big investment (and if that happens then they become big clubs playing in Europe signing players like Hazard).

I don't get pissed off with debates on a message board. I don't get pissed off when someone has a different opinion. But I do get pissed off when people try to alter what I am saying.

You said Derby are bigger than Wigan. I said I agree with the commentator that said they have a similar stature. A big club is a powerful club. The power difference between Villa and Derby isn't massive. Not worth arguing about. But if people insist on arguing then the power is with Villa. Same with Wigan. Although that is even closer.

I didn't say making it to the PL and spending money makes a big club. So don't make **** up. Otherwise you might aswell start your own thread where only you can post and then argue with yourself.

Like I said, I'm cool with a disagreement. We can agree to disagree. I just laugh when I hear Leeds and Forest fans going on about how big they are and don't want Derby fans to sound so stupid.

But putting words in my mouth ain't on.

Read all my post or none of it. Otherwise what's the point?

Leeds definately are a big club, as are Wednesday and us and the Gumps, we're just not being lucky at the mo! No one could ever say Burnley and their ilk are a big club just cuz they're momentarily in the money

Are Man City and Chelsea big clubs?

I didn't.

I said Wigan are a similar size to a Derby. If pushed for an answer then I'd have to say Wigan are bigger because for the last 10 years they've been bigger financially and better on the pitch.

There's big clubs like Chelsea, City, United etc. it doesn't matter what City's attendance was at Maine Road. It doesn't matter how many titles Chelsea won before Jose. These are huge clubs.

Then from midtable PL through most the championship and some of L1 clubs are a similar size. It doesn't matter how many fans Derby get or how many months Burnley spend in the PL or how much Brighton paid for a CB. All have the same ambition and could interchange places over night. Villa could be midtable Championship in 5 years. Brighton could be midtable PL. None will reach the Champions League without big investment (and if that happens then they become big clubs playing in Europe signing players like Hazard).

I don't get pissed off with debates on a message board. I don't get pissed off when someone has a different opinion. But I do get pissed off when people try to alter what I am saying.

You said Derby are bigger than Wigan. I said I agree with the commentator that said they have a similar stature. A big club is a powerful club. The power difference between Villa and Derby isn't massive. Not worth arguing about. But if people insist on arguing then the power is with Villa. Same with Wigan. Although that is even closer.

I didn't say making it to the PL and spending money makes a big club. So don't make **** up. Otherwise you might aswell start your own thread where only you can post and then argue with yourself.

Like I said, I'm cool with a disagreement. We can agree to disagree. I just laugh when I hear Leeds and Forest fans going on about how big they are and don't want Derby fans to sound so stupid.

But putting words in my mouth ain't on.

Read all my post or none of it. Otherwise what's the point?

Ok, you think there is only the top six or so that are big.

The original argument was about whether Derby are bigger than Wigan, not whether either a big club. On that, it is clear that we have very different criteria and will have to agree to disagree.

You are hardly one to lecture on misinterpreting or misrepresenting a post considering you did it numerous times yesterday.

Ok, you think there is only the top six or so that are big.

The original argument was about whether Derby are bigger than Wigan, not whether either a big club. On that, it is clear that we have very different criteria and will have to agree to disagree.

You are hardly one to lecture on misinterpreting or misrepresenting a post considering you did it numerous times yesterday.

Hark!

Archived