Zenit St Petersburg v Derby County

CumbrianRam

What would you like me to use for my criticism? A game we played a year ago? Maybe a game we played two months ago last Wednesday?

Just what are you talking about?

We made mistakes so I am critical over the players that made those mistakes.

I am a boss over many people. When they make mistakes, I am critical toward them. It doesn't matter where or when the mistakes happen. I agree, they are less important in pre-season but isn't pre-season also a time when the manager is looking at the players to decide if they are good enough?

You say the defence performs well when it counts. I'd say it counted when that defence made mistakes leading to the winner in the game that really did count...wouldn't you?

Get away with you. I wouldn't have thought that by listening to you. Now, I know this might be a shock and very unpalatable but do you think you could be over egging things in your pursuit of perfection?

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get away with you. I wouldn't have thought that by listening to you. Now, I know this might be a shock and very unpalatable but do you think you could be over egging things in your pursuit of perfection?

Over egging what exactly? I'm not quite with you.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't be critical of the players? 

That is my assumption that I have taken and if so, why not?

There is nothing wrong with pursuing perfection. Why settle for mediocrity.

Pursuing perfection and criticising at every opportunity is not the same thing.

Nobody is arguing with you that the defending today was poor. But a sense of perspective, baring in mind the context of the match, is all that some posters are suggesting.

Are you this antagonistic in the work place? Asking questions all the time?

Over egging the criticism. We all noted the mistakes and who played well and who didn't. No need to be hyper critical at this stage of the season.  As the previous poster said a sense of perspective wouldn't hurt. 

Dawkins very good I thought but Keogh and Buxton depress me.. Buxton will be fine when the season starts but Keogh is useless.. Don't care what anyone else says he is and thats a fact

It's an opinion.

not reading through this thread, can someone give me an overview of how we looked?

We looked okay, but we were clearly outclassed by much better opposition. A few defensive concerns being blown out of proportion.

If you're a hysterical wrist-slasher, then you should be worried about the performances of Keogh. Buxton and Christie.

If you're a rational optimist, then you should be happy with the performances of Dawkins, Roos and Hendrick.

Over egging the criticism. We all noted the mistakes and who played well and who didn't. No need to be hyper critical at this stage of the season.  As the previous poster said a sense of perspective wouldn't hurt. 

I'm not sure how I was being hyper critical. I said that I have concerns over our defence...the same concerns as I had last season. It was not just this game I was singling out.

I can only assume you didn't read my posts or took them out of context.

Pursuing perfection and criticising at every opportunity is not the same thing.

Nobody is arguing with you that the defending today was poor. But a sense of perspective, baring in mind the context of the match, is all that some posters are suggesting.

Are you this antagonistic in the work place? Asking questions all the time?

Antagonistic.

I'm sorry. I'll be a little more sensitive next time. I forgot we had to be so careful when posting our thoughts.

Like I said in a previous mail, I have had concerns over our defence for some time. I see it as our achilles heel. I was not just singling out this match although if the manager really sees our new right back as a regular first team player then I would suggest on that performance, he thinks again.

And as if to further cement my point, we give away another silly goal from individual defensive mistakes.

Goal One: Individual defensive mistake

Penalty award: Individual defensive mistake

Goal Two: Individual defensive mistake

And some on here are critical for me saying we have a poor defence...

And as if to further cement my point, we give away another silly goal from individual defensive mistakes.

Goal One: Individual defensive mistake

Penalty award: Individual defensive mistake

Goal Two: Individual defensive mistake

And some on here are critical for me saying we have a poor defence...

Can't comment on goal 2 as pre season friendlies bore me to tears so I went to the pub but...

The penalty was good attacking play followed by a harsh penalty decision by the official

The first goal wasn't bad defensively, it lacked a bit of composure but it was unlucky than bad. Christie tried clearing the ball and it cannoned off a couple of bodies to Witsel...now if he had misplaced a pass or been caught in possession then yeah that's bad play but to boot the ball clear for it to bounce back off your own player straight into their only player in the box then that's fairly unlucky?!

Its a phenomenon of the modern game this analysing every goal to the nth degree. Every goal will be someone's fault! I seem to recall that, occasionally, teams would score against Roy Mac and Toddy......

Maybe we look too much in to it.

Steve is respected for his defensive coaching and tactics so i'm not worried.

Antagonistic.

I'm sorry. I'll be a little more sensitive next time. I forgot we had to be so careful when posting our thoughts.

Like I said in a previous mail, I have had concerns over our defence for some time. I see it as our achilles heel. I was not just singling out this match although if the manager really sees our new right back as a regular first team player then I would suggest on that performance, he thinks again.

"I'm not just singling this match out." - Then you proceed to single this match out.

It's Christie's second game. Give him time

For a team that has been smashed physically for past couple of days to go up against an outfit that is playing in the champs league next week i thought they did very well. We won't be coming up against a team like that in the champ.

As for the defensive errors, I only thought Keogh made the odd blunder + a few shitelong balls from the back of the defense but that was it. Christie looked good, Roos and Dawkins great,

"I'm not just singling this match out." - Then you proceed to single this match out.

It's Christie's second game. Give him time

How old are you...5?

I was talking about our defence in general terms. Yes, of course I made reference to the defence in yesterdays game but it was a general comment about the defence.

Are we not allowed to be critical of our players if they have only just signed?

I'm willing to bet that McClaren had a few words in his ear after Christie's mistake.

Archived