Zenit St Petersburg v Derby County

CumbrianRam

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please remember the caliber of player that we were up against today before writing off our chances of promotion. Yes we may need a few new faces but the team we have today is the same (bar one or two players) as the team that got us to wembley last season.

Frendlies are all about fitness. The results start counting on August the 9th

The defense performs well when it counts, then makes some blunders in a meaningless game in Austria, and you use that for your criticism?

Seems fair enough to me.

What would you like me to use for my criticism? A game we played a year ago? Maybe a game we played two months ago last Wednesday?

Just what are you talking about?

We made mistakes so I am critical over the players that made those mistakes.

I am a boss over many people. When they make mistakes, I am critical toward them. It doesn't matter where or when the mistakes happen. I agree, they are less important in pre-season but isn't pre-season also a time when the manager is looking at the players to decide if they are good enough?

You say the defence performs well when it counts. I'd say it counted when that defence made mistakes leading to the winner in the game that really did count...wouldn't you?

Okay, the weather made the pitch absolutely appaling and you could see some of the slips, missed passes, etc were down to that.

Stand out performances - Roos, Hendrick, Hughes, Dawkins.

Concerns - Keogh, Buxton, Eustace

Only a preseason match against a top level team played in really tough conditions. All things considered, we did okay. Bit concerned the CBs keep making errors, but willing to put them down to the weather and pitch for this one - need to cut them out though or certain people will get on their backs. NOT what we need when we should all be focusing on promotion.

For me, Forsyth, Dawkins,Martin,Hendrick looked decent as ever, but Roos is new to me and looked awesome,  the 2 central defenders look decidedly shaky,Keogh especially,  last season was last season, and we need to get those two positions sorted out...

That said against a team of Russian internationals and a few others from around the world it was a decent work ut for the lads...

i admit he looked tricky, but the final product was missing yet again.

True, that is his major problem. But he ran well today and never looked like giving the ball away, couple of times opened them up as well and looked our most dangerous threat. 

People seem to be forgetting that the team tonight would have been training hard the last couple of days and would therefore be able pretty tired for this game. SMc has already said this is how he wanted to test the players, ie improve how they make decisions when tired.

We played against a top quality cl team with players who aren't yet match fit and have been training hard for the last month or so. We couldn't have expected to win tonight and it might have been a different result if ward had scored.

No need to be all doom and gloom, yet...

Archived