Best place you have been to on holiday?

ramafan

Australia 1993 for me went on a six week bus tour from Sydney up to Cairns, went to some great places like Gold Coast, Hamilton Island, Barrier Reef and Cairns, spent one week in Sydney which was a really great city, highly recommended if you can afford it.  :D  :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karpathos Greece. Lovely people, good food and plenty of time to relax.

Been to couple of Greek isles, Corfu & Crete like you Cisse love the food, people and the culture of the place and of course the lovely weather, first holiday I had abroad was Corfu in 1981.

Australia 1993 for me went on a six week bus tour from Sydney up to Cairns, went to some great places like Gold Coast, Hamilton Island, Barrier Reef and Cairns, spent one week in Sydney which was a really great city, highly recommended if you can afford it.  :D  :)

I lived in Australia for 6 months at the end of 2008 beginning of 2009 and did the big east coast road trip as well.  Cairns down to Melbourne there were some great places to visit. I had a great time.

I moved on to New Zealand in early 2009  and ended up staying there for a year. New Zealand is fantastic, i had a great year there. Did a bit of travelling around the North Island, taking in Auckland, Rotarua, Taurunga, Taupo, New Plymouth Wellington and then moved on to the South island, stopping in places like Nelson, Motueka, Blenheim, Greymouth and finally setting up camp in Queenstown. If you ever have a chance I fully recommend spending some time crusing around NZ, there is so much to see, it's a beautiful country and very friendly and relaxed!

I lived in Australia for 6 months at the end of 2008 beginning of 2009 and did the big east coast road trip as well.  Cairns down to Melbourne there were some great places to visit. I had a great time.

I moved on to New Zealand in early 2009  and ended up staying there for a year. New Zealand is fantastic, i had a great year there. Did a bit of travelling around the North Island, taking in Auckland, Rotarua, Taurunga, Taupo, New Plymouth Wellington and then moved on to the South island, stopping in places like Nelson, Motueka, Blenheim, Greymouth and finally setting up camp in Queenstown. If you ever have a chance I fully recommend spending some time crusing around NZ, there is so much to see, it's a beautiful country and very friendly and relaxed!

You are a lucky person nomad to have experienced such travelling, never went as far as Melbourne but a friend of mine went and says it was a great city, I have heard great reports about New Zealand but do not know anyone who as visited the country.

You are a lucky person nomad to have experienced such travelling, never went as far as Melbourne but a friend of mine went and says it was a great city, I have heard great reports about New Zealand but do not know anyone who as visited the country.

I was fortunate enough to be able to save a bit of cash before going on the trip and then also applied for working holiday visas for both Oz and Nz before leaving the UK. Those were lifesavers, if i hadn't had a visa that allowed me to work in either I would have been back home in a fraction of the time.  Those two visas turned what was meant to be a 6 month excursion total into a great experience over a year and half, one I will never forget!

I've been doing something a little similar in South Korea for the last 3 years as well. I've been teaching English as a 2nd language over here and getting to know a very different culture to my own.  I've thoroughly enjoyed it but i'll be leaving at the end of September as it's about time to get back to the UK and back to reality.  South Korea is another that I would really recommend visiting at some point if you ever had the chance.

Norway and Sweden when we followed Derby's preseason tour - spent just over a week there and everything just seemed to fall into place.

Oslo is definitely one of the best cities I have been to. Some very pretty ladies there too!

The Gambia (twice - '96 & '98).

For a full-on African experience in a safe, family friendly environment.

After the culture shock of landing in a poor (financially speaking) African country, where you get hassled when you step out of your secure hotel grounds, you learn to deal with the hassle with a polite but firm "no!" and a smile; after a few hours you don't even notice it.

As you relax into your holiday you get to understand what makes this society tick - family and their relaxed version Islam. Your kids are always safe; the locals all look out for each others' children and this custom is extended to the children of visitors. You can lie on the beach with your kids playing in the sea and there will always be several eyes on them, keeping them safe.

The local children are always polite and demure and the little ones extremely endearing as they hold your hand as you walk down the street (another one of their customs) and let go when they either reach their destination or find another adult travelling towards their destination.

We had so many highlights on these holidays; went on so many trips or safaris as the locals call them. We met so many truly nice people. We saw some memorable things such as the slaving house in Georgetown, the cannabis fields on a voodoo worshipers' island in neighbouring Senegal and the magical safari camp we overnighted in with brightly painted, thatched mud huts on the banks of the river Gambia.

The biggest surprise was how a tiny country with so little could offer so much. I can honestly say I have never reaxed as much before or since as I did on these holidays.

Cape Verde as others have said was very very good. Perfect climate for me, hot & sunny but with a constant cooling breeze. Gorgeous massive beach and currently not too developed. Go soon before it all gets built on!.

My favourite would have to be the Maldives though. I've been there 4 times and you just can't top it I don't think for a chill out holiday.

Some islands are posh and very expensive but we went to "no news, no shoes" resorts which were much more informal and relaxed (and cheaper). Great mornings jumping off the deck from the water bungalow into the sea. Wonderful afternoons spent lying in 2 feet deep crystal clear sea, 200 yards from the white beach and surrounded by tropical fish and small rays & reef sharks. You can feel the stress leave your body after the first hour there.

Of course the arrival of my little girl put an end to all of that..........

China is fascinating -so much to see but if I have to choose then it has to be Western Canada. Driving through the snow covered Rockies was amazing and to be almost face to face with a huge male grizzly is something you never forget

Archived