Best and worst Derby matches you have been to?

ramafan

Which are the best Derby match you have been to? And which is the one match that made you feel really down about the Derby display?

The best match I have been to was the 4-1 win against Real Madrid in The European Cup in 1975 when Charlie George got a hat-trick, a special night at The Baseball Ground. 

For me the worst I have felt coming away from a Derby defeat was the FA Cup Quater-Finals against Plymouth Argyle in 1984, they scored a goal direct from a corner due to Steve Cherry's crass goalkeeping but what made it worse for me and most Derby fans that night was we didn't know if we would have a football club as the club nearly went bankrupt, very dark times for the club.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The very same two games for me - although for sheer, gut-wrenching tension, the home game against Liverpool (McGovern's goal which eventually won us the league) took some beating.

If we allow the benefit of hindsight, you could also include the home draw against Stoke in 1976 for bad things, the game when Charlie George dislocated his shoulder. The wheels came off, the double went out the window and less than 18 months later Docherty arrived.

Best game - either Forest 5-0 or Brighton 4-1. Been watching Derby since 94 and they were the best for performance, atmosphere and all round positivity.

Worst game - there's been a few!! v QPR, Clough's first game was bad. v Millwall when we lost with Barry Hayles looking like a world beater. Or maybe getting hammered by Ssausagehorpe/Bristol Rovers.

I honestly don't think I've enjoyed a game more than the 5-0 demolition of Forest. You could go a lifetime without seeing your team take their arch rivals apart in such a comprehensive manner. The fact we got Davies the sack and humiliated him so badly that it's unlikely he'll work at a decent level in the English game ever again only sweetens the taste.

The worst was probably the play off semi defeat to Preston. Obviously, QPR was a sickener, but at least we could console ourselves with the knowledge that the core of the team would stay together and go for promotion the following season. When we lost to Preston we all knew what a sorry state the club was in financially and that it was a certainty we would lose important players. Getting absolutely shafted on the fees for Huddlestone and Rasiak made it particularly difficult to take. Come to think of it, I'm still really angry about that. I don't know why we still deal with Spurs. They always give us crap loans anyway.

I honestly don't think I've enjoyed a game more than the 5-0 demolition of Forest. You could go a lifetime without seeing your team take their arch rivals apart in such a comprehensive manner. The fact we got Davies the sack and humiliated him so badly that it's unlikely he'll work at a decent level in the English game ever again only sweetens the taste.

The worst was probably the play off semi defeat to Preston. Obviously, QPR was a sickener, but at least we could console ourselves with the knowledge that the core of the team would stay together and go for promotion the following season. When we lost to Preston we all knew what a sorry state the club was in financially and that it was a certainty we would lose important players. Getting absolutely shafted on the fees for Huddlestone and Rasiak made it particularly difficult to take. Come to think of it, I'm still really angry about that. I don't know why we still deal with Spurs. They always give us crap loans anyway.

Mounir El Hamdaoui was a quality player, just a shame he got injured.

worst - all 2007/2008 games except for the two vs newcastle home and away ;( (i went to the lot)

best - has to be the 2006/2007 playoff final :D still cant forget barnes running down the side, sliding a pass to the back post where pearson slides in and the crowd goes absolutely wild.......gave myself a sore throat for the next week after all the singing i did, couldnt speak ;P.

edit: then again dont forget the playoffs vs Southampton, went to both and especially at home there was just goals goals goals, then what about the game at florest ground where we went 2-0 only to come back and win 3-2 with kris commons curling in the winner or what about the 5-0 thrashing of forest recently and having the little dwarf immediately sacked?

oh god i cant choose, there's so many more

League Cup v Chelsea at home October, 1968.  30k+ standing at the BBG, roaring the Rams home.

To put it into perspective, that was when we all knew that something special was happening - but even more obviously than with the Brighton play off at home this year - grown men in tears on the way out, could not believe what they had witnessed from our team.

Doubt I will see any better : I'll not spoil it by naming the disasters!

Worst feeling coming away from a ground - Fulham away in the FA Cup around 6 or 7 years ago. We played great but we're robbed by some diabolical refereeing (Peter Walton?)

Best is yet to come but up to now, probably home leg of the playoff semi against Saints

Southampton semi will probably take some beating... And to be honest, having beaten forest 5-0 and me still thinking it was better - I doubt it ever will be beat.

Worst is so difficult.. We've had some absolute tragedies. The Villa game in the Premier League is really sticking in my craw though. When Carroll got beat from the half way line I wanted to end my life.

Best: So difficult to choose....

Worst: So difficult to choose....

So I'm going to sit on the fence and say all of them

Best game for me - in terms of the football being played, I'm struggling to think of any better team performance than the hammering we gave Brighton in the playoffs. The only others that come close for me were the early Pride Park games against Southampton (4-0) and Bolton (4-0). The Palace promotion game at the BBG wasn't far behind either.

The worst - Wembley, 1994, Steve Walsh. Enough said.

League Cup v Chelsea at home October, 1968.  30k+ standing at the BBG, roaring the Rams home.

To put it into perspective, that was when we all knew that something special was happening - but even more obviously than with the Brighton play off at home this year - grown men in tears on the way out, could not believe what they had witnessed from our team.

Doubt I will see any better : I'll not spoil it by naming the disasters!

I agree with that 1968 game. It was confirmation of the beginning of our great time...

Move on a few years to the Semi Final at Hillsborough v Man Utd. The beginning of the end.....

It's a tie between 5-0 against Forest and beating United 1-0 at Pride Park in 2009 in the first leg of the league cup. First one needs no explaining, but 1-0 against Manure actually made me believe we were going to win the League Cup. The least prestigious major trophy, but a major trophy nonetheless.

Worst is this years Play-Off Final.

Don't want to talk about it.

You can't make me talk about it.

Best game for me - in terms of the football being played, I'm struggling to think of any better team performance than the hammering we gave Brighton in the playoffs. The only others that come close for me were the early Pride Park games against Southampton (4-0) and Bolton (4-0). The Palace promotion game at the BBG wasn't far behind either.

The worst - Wembley, 1994, Steve Walsh. Enough said.

Got to agree with Most of this, the look on the face of Smith and McLaren when Carsley scored againts Southampton, and if i remember it was goaless with 20 mins left!

For atmosphere Middlesbrough at home over xmas i think 97/98 finished 2-1 with a Johnathon Hunt winner, the atmosphere was electric that day in the south east stand giving gazza and Townsend s#!t

Archived