Sam Vokes, better than Chris Martin?

Burnley boy

So at first the stats were distorted by sub appearances but now those have been taken into account they're wrong because Vokes had been hopeless up until last season. Of course last season must be his normal standard and not the rest of his career. If anything we should take last seasons stats out, clear outlier  ;)

However as you insist, I'll save Albert some bother. Last season:

Vokes 20 goals 4 assists 39 starts (0.615 'goal contributions' per appearance)

Martin 22 goals 8 assists 47 starts (0.638 'goal contributions' per appearance)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you even doing on here?

If you want to write Burnley fanfic, I'm sure there's sites for that.

Coming onto a Derby forum and calling our first 20 goal a season striker since Dean Sturridge a "poor man's Sam Vokes", when not only has Martin done better here than Vokes there, but the numbers in general go against you isn't exactly a useful thing to do.

Speaking of the outright numbers though, for them at each clubs, in terms of minutes played in all competitions:

Sam Vokes

Games: 102

Minutes: 6087

Goals: 27 (0.400 per 90)

Assists: 8 (0.118 per 90)

Chris Marin

Games: 64

Minutes: 5390

Goals: 27 (0.451 per 90)

Assists: 13 (0.217 per 90)

In case your curious, in terms of score board impact per 90 minutes that makes it:

Chris Martin 0.668 - 0.518 Sam Vokes

Again, the numbers aren't on his side. They are both very good on those numbers, but Martin is the clear winner there. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll come up with a reason why your poor hoofball version of Martin is the better player.

Now that's just plain showing off !!

Your stats are garbage, he played a lot of games here and there until this season. He was a bit part player for us until we sold Austin. I think anyone with a brain would understand strikers need a solid run of games to get confidence and do well. Your stats also include a loan spell he had here 2 years ago where he played a handful of games and he's a completely different player now than he was 2 years ago. Why don't you bring up the stats from last year? You won't. . You would rather use stats that include games played over 2 years ao when Vokes was a 21 year old kid playing games here and there trying to make a name for himself.

You've been proven wrong time and time again. Even when you try and move the goalposts, you still get shown up!

To summarise...

Chris Martin > Sam Vokes

Your stats are garbage, he played a lot of games here and there until this season. He was a bit part player for us until we sold Austin. I think anyone with a brain would understand strikers need a solid run of games to get confidence and do well. Your stats also include a loan spell he had here 2 years ago where he played a handful of games and he's a completely different player now than he was 2 years ago. Why don't you bring up the stats from last year? You won't. . You would rather use stats that include games played over 2 years ao when Vokes was a 21 year old kid playing games here and there trying to make a name for himself.

"The stats are garbage" would be a more accurate way of saying it.

I know it's sad when the facts don't fit the fairy world in your fanfic, but that's the problem here. You can claim that Vokes could look better if you take out periods of bad form, or when he was a bit part players, but you could do the same to Martin taking out his loan spell with us before he signed. Cherry picking data is not the way to go about it, and ultimately all together it's telling.

I mean, you could also just look at the fact that Derby out scored Burnley over the course of the season and realise that Martin was a key to all that and think "oh, so he's probably pretty good", but no, he's not a Burnley player, so you picked your own player, who admittedly had a pretty good season, and used him as a comparison. Sadly he isn't as good a player, and to be perfectly frank seems like a hoof ball player as well, but hey, that's Burnley.

While we're cherry picking though, let's go the whole hog, just last season, all competitions:

Sam Vokes

Games: 44

Minutes: 3081

Goals: 21 (0.497 per 90)

Assists: 25 (0.118 per 90)

Chris Martin

Games: 51

Minutes: 4317

Goals: 25 (0.521 per 90)

Assists: 11 (0.229 per 90)

To summarise score board impact:

Chris Martin 0.751 - 0.616 Sam Vokes

But don't tell me, those are wrong too because they don't fit the scene in your fanfic where Vokes asks you for a pen.

I seriously don't understand why you'd come onto a forum specifically for a club, only to bad mouth their best striker in arguably the best part of 20 years? The only term I can think of to describe it is trolling, but ultimately you've just made yourself look a complete fool as even as you have asked for changing goal posts, Vokes continues to come out below Martin, and by a clear margin as always.

I don't doubt Vokes is a good player, but Martin has been a better striker for us than Vokes for you on numbers, on the pitch and on impact.

Have a nice day though. I suggest regular breaks if you're using a computer to write the fanfic by the way.

Assists is also down wrong. Damnit. It's mean to read 4.

The numbers in terms of assists and goals per game are correct in there, I did that working off the post. I typed in the list a bit wrong for Vokes. The point still stands though.

I think all the lost sleep watching the World Cup is catching up with me a bit.

Assists is also down wrong. Damnit. It's mean to read 4.

The numbers in terms of assists and goals per game are correct in there, I did that working off the post. I typed in the list a bit wrong for Vokes. The point still stands though.

I think all the lost sleep watching the World Cup is catching up with me a bit.

Haha it's been a long hard slog hasn't it?

Your point still stands as you say, take over the last year (arguably the best in both players careers to date) or over the last 4/5 years and it still shows the same that Martin is far and away the better player.

Sorted.

Haha it's been a long hard slog hasn't it?

Your point still stands as you say, take over the last year (arguably the best in both players careers to date) or over the last 4/5 years and it still shows the same that Martin is far and away the better player.

Sorted.

Not sure where the stats come from about him Scoring 25 goals last year, wiki has it down as 20 in all comps.

Vokes was 18/19 4/5 years ago, he hasn't had first team action until this season, god knows how you can judge a striker when he doesn't play. Strikers are judged on goals, Vokes has a far better goal to game ratio (and that's even on the false bent stats above) he's better in the Air, Martin is an average player (Norwich were that desperate to get rid they loaned him to Luton and Swindon) Btw he scored a massive 11 goals for Luton in league 2, 4 years ago. 16 months ago the guy was left out of Norwichs 25 man squad, loaned out to mighty Swindon and he scored a massive 1 goal in 11 games.. And you said over th past 4/5 years he's been good? Hahaha he's had game time everywhere he has been and proved to be not very good at least when Vokes was given game time it was on loan at a Championship club and did quite well, not struggling in league 2 ha

Only a biased moron would claim Martin is better than Vokes, ask any football fan around the country, easy decision... That's why one is a Premier league striker the other couldn't make a newly promoted Norwichs 25 man squad never mind bench. At least Vokes hasn't failed on the pitch when given game time, Martin has

Not sure where the stats come from about him Scoring 25 goals last year, wiki has it down as 20 in all comps.

Vokes was 18/19 4/5 years ago, he hasn't had first team action until this season, god knows how you can judge a striker when he doesn't play. Strikers are judged on goals, Vokes has a far better goal to game ratio (and that's even on the false bent stats above) he's better in the Air, Martin is an average player (Norwich were that desperate to get rid they loaned him to Luton and Swindon) Btw he scored a massive 11 goals for Luton in league 2, 4 years ago. 16 months ago the guy was left out of Norwichs 25 man squad, loaned out to mighty Swindon and he scored a massive 1 goal in 11 games.. And you said over th past 4/5 years he's been good? Hahaha he's had game time everywhere he has been and proved to be not very good at least when Vokes was given game time it was on loan at a Championship club and did quite well, not struggling in league 2 ha

Wikipedia clearly shows 25 for Chris Martin (footballer, born 1988).

Does the Wikipedia page you're on talk about Coldplay and Gwyneth Paltrow?

Burnley Boy, I have to do an oil change on my car tomorrow - could you give me a hand?

I could do with a new dipstick.

Can we not accept that they're both good championship strikers of a similar standard who are being played in systems that suit them?

I don't think Vokes is better than Martin. I don't think Martin is better than Vokes. I'd have either in our team and I think Burnley fans would be blinded by loyalty to suggest Martin wouldn't be a more than adaquate replacement for Vokes.

So, to summarise. Burnley Boy believes Sam Vokes is a better player than Chris Martin and some Derby fans don't agree, believing as they do, that Martin is actually the better player.

The interesting bit is that Burnley Boy feels the need to try and convince us of his opinion!

Why?.

Archived