Sam Vokes, better than Chris Martin?

Burnley boy

You mean hughes? or (possible) thorne? or martin? or most of the dcfc 11?

I wouldn't mind Thorne, I like the look of Hendricks too. Martin is crap though unless he has improved massively since joining you.

Hughes hmmm I like his playing style and swagger but does he offer a lot? not for me, overrated due to him being young and English.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin crap? Shut up he's QUALITY.

Yes he's brilliant easily best in the world or is that Hughes? Come on.. Let's be serious here,take off your Derby tinted glasses and speak sense. Martin is not quality at all he's a poor mans Vokes. Vokes for us btw not the Vokes who played for Wolves and didn't get a game

Okay maybe I was a little harsh, he isn't crap he is okay, an ok Championship striker, that's it though really... League one striker but Mclaren has got him playing out of his skin.

Couldn't you say exactly the same about Sam Vokes? Absolutely turd for every other club he's played at and Dyche has got the best out of him? Martin has a far better record than Vokes in his career

Yes he's brilliant easily best in the world or is that Hughes? Come on.. Let's be serious here,take off your Derby tinted glasses and speak sense. Martin is not quality at all he's a poor mans Vokes. Vokes for us btw not the Vokes who played for Wolves and didn't get a game

First off:

Sam Vokes for Burnley:

Games: 94

Goals: 26

Assists: 7

Martin for Derby:

Games: 57

Goals: 22

Assists: 12

Secondly, Martin from what I've seen is better on the ball, better at bringing others into play and it shows in the better assists statistics (not to mention the better statistics all around there). Vokes is more of a threat in the air though. Better for a long ball approach.

To be honest I'd say Vokes is a poor man's Martin by those numbers.

First off:

Sam Vokes for Burnley:

Games: 94

Goals: 26

Assists: 7

Martin for Derby:

Games: 57

Goals: 22

Assists: 12

Secondly, Martin from what I've seen is better on the ball, better at bringing others into play and it shows in the better assists statistics (not to mention the better statistics all around there). Vokes is more of a threat in the air though. Better for a long ball approach.

To be honest I'd say Vokes is a poor man's Martin by those numbers.

BOOM! Ends that discussion right there!

Couldn't you say exactly the same about Sam Vokes? Absolutely turd for every other club he's played at and Dyche has got the best out of him? Martin has a far better record than Vokes in his career

Last year was Vokes first full season really, he never got a chance anywhere else part from Bournemouth as a kid where he did well. Martin has had games everywhere and not done nothing above league 1 level. Strikers need to be judged after a run of games

Martin was highly rated by Norwich fans. They praised his technical ability and how he brought others into the attacking play.

I wouldn't say McClaren has him playing out of his skin. I'd say he just knows how to use him.

There's no good aiming the ball at his head or 20 yards in front if him. You could even think of him as a playmaker in a way. He's the base of many attacks as we play into him and give him options. Much more reliable way than the old hoof forward to a giant or a long diagonal for a dog to feed off scraps.

I'm surprised that he's shown such an instinct for goals this season. Technically though? We have had average Championship players enough to know that Chris Martin is closer to the top end Championship player.

First off:Sam Vokes for Burnley:Games: 94Goals: 26Assists: 7Martin for Derby:Games: 57Goals: 22Assists: 12Secondly, Martin from what I've seen is better on the ball, better at bringing others into play and it shows in the better assists statistics (not to mention the better statistics all around there). Vokes is more of a threat in the air though. Better for a long ball approach.To be honest I'd say Vokes is a poor man's Martin by those numbers.

Your forgetting we had him on loan and he made a lot of sub apps

Martin is better on the ball but he hasnt got the real goal scoring ability like Vokes is also say Vokes is more mobile, better in the air and better at holding the ball up.

No-one in the Championship can hold the ball up better than Martin; it's uncanny how the ball apears to just stick to him.

Vokes is a more out and out striker/ target man. He takes a chance when it is presented, similarly with Ings while Martin often drops off and brings midfielders and wingers into the game.

If you had Lionel Messi in your team and brought him on for the last 10 minutes of every game he would of made 100 apps and probably scored a handful of goals.. I don't see how playing the final 10 minutes of a game can be compared with playing 90 minutes especiallly when your using useless stats to back up a goalscoring argument

Your forgetting we had him on loan and he made a lot of sub apps

What are you even doing on here?

If you want to write Burnley fanfic, I'm sure there's sites for that.

Coming onto a Derby forum and calling our first 20 goal a season striker since Dean Sturridge a "poor man's Sam Vokes", when not only has Martin done better here than Vokes there, but the numbers in general go against you isn't exactly a useful thing to do.

Speaking of the outright numbers though, for them at each clubs, in terms of minutes played in all competitions:

Sam Vokes

Games: 102

Minutes: 6087

Goals: 27 (0.400 per 90)

Assists: 8 (0.118 per 90)

Chris Marin

Games: 64

Minutes: 5390

Goals: 27 (0.451 per 90)

Assists: 13 (0.217 per 90)

In case your curious, in terms of score board impact per 90 minutes that makes it:

Chris Martin 0.668 - 0.518 Sam Vokes

Again, the numbers aren't on his side. They are both very good on those numbers, but Martin is the clear winner there. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll come up with a reason why your poor hoofball version of Martin is the better player.

If you had Lionel Messi in your team and brought him on for the last 10 minutes of every game he would of made 100 apps and probably scored a handful of goals.. I don't see how playing the final 10 minutes of a game can be compared with playing 90 minutes especiallly when your using useless stats to back up a goalscoring argument

Why are you still here? Some of your postings yesterday were juvenile and today, bar 1 or 2, have been no better -is there any chance you can get an adult to give you some guidance?

What are you even doing on here?If you want to write Burnley fanfic, I'm sure there's sites for that.Coming onto a Derby forum and calling our first 20 goal a season striker since Dean Sturridge a "poor man's Sam Vokes", when not only has Martin done better here than Vokes there, but the numbers in general go against you isn't exactly a useful thing to do.Speaking of the outright numbers though, for them at each clubs, in terms of minutes played in all competitions:Sam VokesGames: 102Minutes: 6087Goals: 27 (0.400 per 90)Assists: 8 (0.118 per 90)Chris MarinGames: 64Minutes: 5390Goals: 27 (0.451 per 90)Assists: 13 (0.217 per 90)In case your curious, in terms of score board impact per 90 minutes that makes it:Chris Martin 0.668 - 0.518 Sam VokesAgain, the numbers aren't on his side. They are both very good on those numbers, but Martin is the clear winner there. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll come up with a reason why your poor hoofball version of Martin is the better player.

Your stats are garbage, he played a lot of games here and there until this season. He was a bit part player for us until we sold Austin. I think anyone with a brain would understand strikers need a solid run of games to get confidence and do well. Your stats also include a loan spell he had here 2 years ago where he played a handful of games and he's a completely different player now than he was 2 years ago. Why don't you bring up the stats from last year? You won't. . You would rather use stats that include games played over 2 years ao when Vokes was a 21 year old kid playing games here and there trying to make a name for himself.

Btw I bet Ings stats for us are awful, but stats don't paint the full picture do they? No they don't as the stats won't tell you he played most of the games out wide

Do us a favour stick to Burnley board you stupid little boy were are not interested in any Burnley player this is A FORUM FOR DERBY COUNTY FANS, I don't come on your forum and start spouting pathetic posts(70 up to yet) because I'm not interested in Burnley football club, only Derby County that is why I only come on this forum.

Archived