England v Uruguay

Day

There are quite a few problems to sort out,but the biggest problem is the defence.Trouble is

who would you play?

Once we're out I want us to look to the future. Be bold and play the players who will make up the next generation and encourage smart, attacking football à la Liverpool. I think we should play Flanagan at RB, hopefully he is first-team for Liverpool next season. Shaw at LB so long as he is getting game time next season which he should - he's a very good player already. Then John Stones as one centre back - he made his England debut it one of the friendlies and is very promising. Alongside him probably Cahill for now - in the future maybe Eric Dier or (if we can persuade him to play for us and not Portugal) Tiago Ilori (although Ilori's not first team at Liverpool yet). That would give us a defence of young talents, all under 21 I think and all with great potential. We have an easy enough group for Euro 2016 qualifying which we should get through and we need to do so making use of the players who will carry us forward.

And that young defence I just mentioned would probably struggle to do much worse than our current back four, so we hardly have much to lose!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many square pegs in round holes.

I agree, onc we're out, clear the whole squad and the FA should just decide what type of football they're going to play and what to epect from each position.

The take the best player suitable for that job - not the best player on paper like Rooney or Gerrard.

Incidentally neither of the two above would get in Germany's team, or Argentina's for that matter, because they know what they're doing style wise.

Until the Premier League somehow manage to limit the number of foreign players playing in that league, our young players have no chance of playing regularly at the top level. As such, I'd much rather watch an all (or substantially) British Rams squad play in the Championship than a bunch of foreign players in Rams shirts in the Premiership. I know Wanchope, Stimac, Baano, Eranio etc made fantastic contributions for us, but at least we had some Brits among them. Might be contentious but that's how I feel at the minute and that's how I feel when the best Prem teams turn out 90% foreign teams. My father in law is a lifelong Newcastle fan and Alain DePardue and his French foreign legions have no idea what it's about to wear a black and white striped shirt, as the local derby defeats to the Maccams clearly show. Is this a rant? If so, it's over!

To be honest I don't think that's the problem at all. Having foreigners improve the standard of the league increases competition and will ultimaltely mean the young players who are good enough will improve more in such a competitive environment.

I don't know, the whole "dem damn foreigners" attitude seems more a xenophobic attitude than one based on anything substantial. Decreasing the quality of the league to have more British players in it would simply kneecap the better players chances of improving at the highest level. It's not like British players are jobless, it's not like they don't have the World's most extensive league structure to play and develop in. The only thing that is arguably lacking is the young development programs themselves, which tend to focus on who's good when they're young, rather than nurturing players who will be good on the ball as they mature. That, if anything, seems to be a key that England tend to lack.

If anything the bigger effect probably comes from the English virtually never playing outside England these days. They don't gain experience elsewhere and tend to get stuck in their little bubble. But even that can't be the whole story.

Too many square pegs in round holes.

I agree, onc we're out, clear the whole squad and the FA should just decide what type of football they're going to play and what to epect from each position.

The take the best player suitable for that job - not the best player on paper like Rooney or Gerrard.

Incidentally neither of the two above would get in Germany's team, or Argentina's for that matter, because they know what they're doing style wise.

Exactly, I've seen too many England sides be dictated by getting the best players into it, rather than getting the best side to play on the park.

England need to decide on a style, and play to it, regardless of if that means that they'll set up without Rooney or another player. Nobody is too good drop.

Strangely enough that's exactly how Australia approached the World Cup, and there are a number of previously key players who, from what I can tell, were politely tapped on the shoulder and told either their time had come, or were left out of the squad at the end of the training camp for the World Cup.

I've not been a supporter of England for a long time and always class myself as neutral. I never really want England to lose (apart from minor games where it's for their own good) but I'm not normally arsed whether they win either.

But I have to say that the World Cup is better with them in it. The support and the interest is great. They're a hot topic for neutrals. Everyone has an opinion on England and for them to go out in the group stages is disappointing.

Looking at England...

Why play 4231 when you haven't got the right players? If you insist on that formation then you have to pick players that play those positions.

Why Gerrard? Stop letting him play based on his reputation and his club performances. He's Mr Liverpool... so what? He's playing for England isn't he? He's certainly not Mr England.

Style... Are England a possession side? Are England a direct side? Are England a counter attacking side? Who knows? They're 11 men thrown together to do what they do for their clubs. England have no identity. No player knows what they're going into. It's all unfamiliar. All these friendlies are pointless. Stop using them to cap players that the manager has no intentions of using at a tournament.

England's chances of a good World Cup are slim before they even get off the plane. It's not just down to a lot of overpaid, arrogant players. Some of them are pretty decent.

And the media. The media murder England.

"Rooney's performance was slammed following the Italy game. There were even questions of whether he should be dropped"

...yes, by you!!

I've not been a supporter of England for a long time and always class myself as neutral. I never really want England to lose (apart from minor games where it's for their own good) but I'm not normally arsed whether they win either.

But I have to say that the World Cup is better with them in it. The support and the interest is great. They're a hot topic for neutrals. Everyone has an opinion on England and for them to go out in the group stages is disappointing.

Looking at England...

Why play 4231 when you haven't got the right players? If you insist on that formation then you have to pick players that play those positions.

Why Gerrard? Stop letting him play based on his reputation and his club performances. He's Mr Liverpool... so what? He's playing for England isn't he? He's certainly not Mr England.

Style... Are England a possession side? Are England a direct side? Are England a counter attacking side? Who knows? They're 11 men thrown together to do what they do for their clubs. England have no identity. No player knows what they're going into. It's all unfamiliar. All these friendlies are pointless. Stop using them to cap players that the manager has no intentions of using at a tournament.

England's chances of a good World Cup are slim before they even get off the plane. It's not just down to a lot of overpaid, arrogant players. Some of them are pretty decent.

And the media. The media murder England.

"Rooney's performance was slammed following the Italy game. There were even questions of whether he should be dropped"

...yes, by you!!

The media always batter Rooney.... They wouldn't hammer there darling Gerrard.

I think Rooney is fed up with all the press. I can understand when people say it's part and parcel of being a great footballer etc. but it must grate on him when he's followed on private holidays away with kids and every little thing delved into his life.

Of course he has made mistakes privately.... But I sense he has matured a hell of a lot this World Cup. And as I mentioned earlier. Wouldn't surprise me if he quits international football.

Pretty much bang on here.

Teams that have a style and identity that everyone can relate to tends to go further than teams that don't.

You only have to see how Colombia went 12 years without World Cup football to where they are now and that is down to hard work, style and identity.

They have two very good strikers in Carlos Bacca and Jackson Martinez (let alone Falcao) not playing, and that's because instead of picking the biggest names, they've gone with the striker who is best to fit the role.

You can guarantee that if they were English with all the pressure - also from the media - then all three striekrs would be squeezed into the same team.

Same with Mexico and Oribe Peralta over Chicharito. One plays in an average Mexican league whereas the other plays for Man United, yet one clearly fits the role better than the other.

England really need to man up and decide what they want to do - and if it means dropping Wayne Rooney, then so be it.

Afterall, Spain dropped Raul and Germany dropped Michael Ballack and both decisions were heavily criticised at the time, but it needed to be done.

The media always batter Rooney.... They wouldn't hammer there darling Gerrard.

I think Rooney is fed up with all the press. I can understand when people say it's part and parcel of being a great footballer etc. but it must grate on him when he's followed on private holidays away with kids and every little thing delved into his life.

Of course he has made mistakes privately.... But I sense he has matured a hell of a lot this World Cup. And as I mentioned earlier. Wouldn't surprise me if he quits international football.

I'd quit if I was him. Getting pulled all over the place by Italy was not his fault. He was out of his depth from kick off and Roy Hodgson left him and Baines to get battered.

What Rooney has done to make it hard is all the silly contract/wage/transfer demands. When it comes to England people expect something special from a play on special money.

Trying to put his 'value' to one side though... I think England have defeated Rooney. The constant media attacks, the huge expectation from fans, the lack of quality around him... now he looks pretty much defeated. He looks a bang average player for England. Not the truly top striker he's shown he can be at times in the past. He's finished.

We all know that the Liverpool drum bangs loud in this country no matter how ordinary they've been in the PL until last season. And Mr Liverpool has had noses pressed up his arse for years. Mr Liverpool is Mr Liverpool. Xabi Alonso was Xabi Alonso, Mascherano was Mascherano, Lucas was Lucas, Suarez is still Suarez but Gerrard is the poster boy. No doubt he was a very very good player. Also no doubt he's mostly had an average team built around him. Occasionally a good team built around him. Now he's got a very good team built to carry him.

Why he's granted this special treatment for England though...

He's not a donkey. But the way they bang his drum still!! If Rooney is finished then Gerrard is a fossil. Being Mr Liverpool seems to be as media healthy as being Mr Redknapp.

Maybe it's harsh. He has served Liverpool well. But no better than Rooney has served United. Seems massively unfair

Pretty much bang on here.

Teams that have a style and identity that everyone can relate to tends to go further than teams that don't.

You only have to see how Colombia went 12 years without World Cup football to where they are now and that is down to hard work, style and identity.

They have two very good strikers in Carlos Bacca and Jackson Martinez (let alone Falcao) not playing, and that's because instead of picking the biggest names, they've gone with the striker who is best to fit the role.

You can guarantee that if they were English with all the pressure - also from the media - then all three striekrs would be squeezed into the same team.

Same with Mexico and Oribe Peralta over Chicharito. One plays in an average Mexican league whereas the other plays for Man United, yet one clearly fits the role better than the other.

England really need to man up and decide what they want to do - and if it means dropping Wayne Rooney, then so be it.

Afterall, Spain dropped Raul and Germany dropped Michael Ballack and both decisions were heavily criticised at the time, but it needed to be done.

Pretty much agree with that sentiment....

With regards to friendlies though. The amount of players that pull out of squads because of "injury" is alarming. That's why you see other players get drafted in. Think some just don't care anymore, and that's one of the biggest reasons why we don't do well.

I'd quit if I was him. Getting pulled all over the place by Italy was not his fault. He was out of his depth from kick off and Roy Hodgson left him and Baines to get battered.

What Rooney has done to make it hard is all the silly contract/wage/transfer demands. When it comes to England people expect something special from a play on special money.

Trying to put his 'value' to one side though... I think England have defeated Rooney. The constant media attacks, the huge expectation from fans, the lack of quality around him... now he looks pretty much defeated. He looks a bang average player for England. Not the truly top striker he's shown he can be at times in the past. He's finished.

We all know that the Liverpool drum bangs loud in this country no matter how ordinary they've been in the PL until last season. And Mr Liverpool has had noses pressed up his arse for years. Mr Liverpool is Mr Liverpool. Xabi Alonso was Xabi Alonso, Mascherano was Mascherano, Lucas was Lucas, Suarez is still Suarez but Gerrard is the poster boy. No doubt he was a very very good player. Also no doubt he's mostly had an average team built around him. Occasionally a good team built around him. Now he's got a very good team built to carry him.

Why he's granted this special treatment for England though...

He's not a donkey. But the way they bang his drum still!! If Rooney is finished then Gerrard is a fossil. Being Mr Liverpool seems to be as media healthy as being Mr Redknapp.

Maybe it's harsh. He has served Liverpool well. But no better than Rooney has served United. Seems massively unfair

Totally agree with all that. Think it's nailed on that Gerrard will go at end of tournament. Probably should of gone after euros.

Bang on about Rooney, just seems defeated and falling out of love with the international game. Hope he returns to his better younger days next season as he is in my belief that he's still a top player domestically.

I wonder if Gerrard does give up the press will go after him.... Doubtful

Bris, Mafia, Albert and Alpha to run the FA anyone?

Think we would do a wonderous job.

But we have common sense ( I think!?!) so that rules is all out.

Once the FA go full time and get rid of part time volunteers and blazers. You will see a better run FA.

Sounds harsh getting rid of part time volunteers but the FA is a two tier system.

Read David Davies autobiography, he was with FA throught the 90s and up to roughly 2006.... Was the main man in front of cameras for them. Called FA confidential. Great read and I can sense his frustrations throughout the book concerning his time at the FA.

Bris, Mafia, Albert and Alpha to run the FA anyone?

Easy. Pick a manager, tell him he's under zero pressure to play any 'stars'. He doesn't even have to qualify for a tournament. His job is invincible. Just get a style and system, find the players that fit it even if they all play for Aston Villa. Then either Wilshere fits or he's gone. Sturridge fits or he's gone. Tell the media to fook off when they start moaning and remind them that Sven, Capello and Roy all won fook all. McClaren too.

I think between us we can find the right manager.

I'm thinking Paul Lambert with Lee Clarke as assistant?

Easy. Pick a manager, tell him he's under zero pressure to play any 'stars'. He doesn't even have to qualify for a tournament. His job is invincible. Just get a style and system, find the players that fit it even if they all play for Aston Villa. Then either Wilshere fits or he's gone. Sturridge fits or he's gone. Tell the media to fook off when they start moaning and remind them that Sven, Capello and Roy all won fook all. McClaren too.

I think between us we can find the right manager.

I'm thinking Paul Lambert with Lee Clarke as assistant?

I think one man fits the criteria for the job to restructure....

Step forward Roberto Martinez

Adrian chiles....the worst presenter ever....did raise one good point last night before the game..

"Uruguay will create a couple if chances, so will England, who would you think is going to take them Suarez or Sturridge"

Actually it was Suarez or Rooney, and the difference between the two teams was just that, they had the ugly, big toothed racist pig and we had Wayne....

Only England could still be in with a chance going into the last game with 0 points....it's back on!!

Adrian chiles....the worst presenter ever....did raise one good point last night before the game..

"Uruguay will create a couple if chances, so will England, who would you think is going to take them Suarez or Sturridge"

Actually it was Suarez or Rooney, and the difference between the two teams was just that, they had the ugly, big toothed racist pig and we had Wayne....

Only England could still be in with a chance going into the last game with 0 points....it's back on!!

Definition of an England fan

Ever hopeful always disappointed

Been a vintage season for Gerrard cock-ups, hasn't it?

He's now very much in the old faithful guard dog mould, but now his back legs have gone and his teeth have fallen out, it's time to either give him both barrels or to weigh down a sack with a pile of bricks, put him in it and chuck him into the pond.

This thread is full of people to blame. If you want to blame anyone, blame yourselves. We have, by helping Sky and others dominate the football scene, allowed our Premier League to become a playboys paradise for any footballing mercenary across the world. Young players rarely emerge and when they do, we build them up to be world beaters. Last night, the team looked so nervous. They knew how we would treat them if they lost.

They aren't bad players. However, they lack a leader (in my book, the centre half should be the leader) and they lack a goalscorer. With those two, we would be celebrating our second victory.

Blame is so negative. Enjoy the sunshine!

Archived