Burnley and QPR attempts to sign Craig Bryson

Jenkinson

Rams confirm that a bid has been rejected for midfielder Craig Bryson.

Derby County today received an undisclosed bid for midfielder Craig Bryson from Burnley.

The offer was immediately rejected.

The Rams remain in discussions with Bryson, who was Derby’s Player of the Year in the 2013/14 campaign, with regards to extending his existing contract.

This is fairly important detail.  While potential contract extensions are still being spoken about then there is definitely an enthusiasm from the Bryson camp to remain at the club.  Clearly he is interested in trying his hand in the PL but there must still be a part of him that wants to attempt that with Derby.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is worth far more to us than Thorne is to West Brom - conversely I think that Thorne would be more valuable to us than Craig Bryson would be.

I'd like us to have both, but if the sale of Bryson finances the purchase of Thorne, I think that would be very good business.

PistoldPete2

Rams confirm that a bid has been rejected for midfielder Craig Bryson.

Derby County today received an undisclosed bid for midfielder Craig Bryson from Burnley.

The offer was immediately rejected.

The Rams remain in discussions with Bryson, who was Derby’s Player of the Year in the 2013/14 campaign, with regards to extending his existing contract.

Bryson, 27, scored 16 goals in 49 appearances for Derby last season and was named in the Sky Bet Championship’s PFA Team of the Season.

Since joining the Rams from Scottish outfit Kilmarnock in the summer of 2011, Bryson has made 134 appearances and scored 27 goals.

Bryson, along with the rest of Derby's first-team squad, will be reporting back for pre-season training this week.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-county-turn-down-bid-for-craig-bryson-1677035.aspx#7BCPGLryzC8MCDrJ.99

Ok, so while its ridiculous for West Brom to reject our bids for Thorne its absolutely right that we should turn down bids for Bryson. Immediately.

Sounds fair to me.

Ok, so while its ridiculous for West Brom to reject our bids for Thorne its absolutely right that we should turn down bids for Bryson. Immediately.

Sounds fair to me.

They bid low for one of our key players.

We've bid high for a young player with limited experience, limited first team chances, and who has explicitly asked to leave. The situations couldn't be more different if there were a magically elephant involved.

I don't understand the comparison between this and Thorne.

Bryson: Key player, has a clause where they can talk to him but we don't have to accept, no noise from player wanting to leave

Thorne: Fringe player at best, handed in transfer request, wants to leave

Sounds fair to me.

The situations are quite different.

Byson is a crucial member of our squad with a wealth of first team experience and a proven goal-scorer.

Thorne is a fringe member of WBA's squad with no guarantee of first team football and limited first team experience. 

I also firmly believe no one's in denial that Bryson may still go. In fact the overall mood in our camp seems to be "We'd love to keep him, but best wishes if he wants to go and we're offered a decent fee that reflects his contribution to our team".

Compare that with the petulance of some WBA fans over Thorne - "He ain't going anywhere. Ha ha. Big Daddy Pearce will never sell him just to spite Thorne for talking to the press, blah blah blah".

Bryson has already agreed terms with Burnley and expressed his desire to leave Derby, according to a very credible Burnley journalist.

Also said Burnley will not go anywhere near the £2million asking price, but may up their 750k bid. 

If that's the case, he can go for me - no hard feelings. I wouldn't want him at pre-season training though, can you imagine what Bucko would do to him...  :o

Certainly wouldn't begrudge him the move, it might be his only chance to experience Premier League football.

We'd all like to think that he'd get it here next season, but even as one of the favourites we're realistically probably only a 1 in 3 shot to go up. If he stayed and didn't perform to such a high standard in another playoff defeat/upper midtable campaign would PL clubs show any interest next summer? It speaks volumes that even after the incredible season he's had only relegation favourites Burnley and QPR seem at all interested in taking a chance on him.

I'd hate to lose him but could thoroughly understand his thinking if he goes.

Archived