Jeff Hendrick

L_J_DCFC

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having sat and thought about it, I cannot genuinely think of one single reason why he would want to go to Watford. That's no disrepect to them, but they can offer him nothing that he hasn't got here.

Agree with that

Fair point - as I say you'd certainly be pushing for promotion again whereas I am not sure we will (maybe without that expectation we might?)

Also it sounds like he has his heights set somewhat higher regarding a move.

Fair point - as I say you'd certainly be pushing for promotion again whereas I am not sure we will (maybe without that expectation we might?)

Also it sounds like he has his heights set somewhat higher regarding a move.

It's not like we can 100% offer him more than you can. It's just you've been stuck in the division for a bit and so have we. The only reason for him to move would be for money and to progress his career. If you can't offer a great deal financially then why gamble on you and not on us where he's settled?

I think he'll see his name in PL lights to be honest. Don't know if he's good enough but he's quite a experienced player at this level now. He's bound to be ambitious and have dreams to play at the top. What young lad wants to settle at this level once they're established

I'd be gutted if he left, especially to join a championship rival. I don't see us wanting to sell him all and his last article was really positive about this coming season as a Ram.

Jeff has got to play games to continue to develop. It's no good for him to be sitting on the bench at the start of next season, waiting for his chance to get in. He's pretty much got to be getting some kind of game time week in week out. When he's playing and confident, he's a joy to watch and he's certainly too good to be a sub.

I've said it since he burst onto the scene and 3 years later, he still reminds me of a young Roy Keane (but without the mean streak). His surging, powerful runs are really starting to become a trademark.

He's an Ireland international now and it's time he got back to having a really consistent season. I think he's got potential to play top half of the Premier League, with a couple of really solid years of top end Championship experience behind him.

I think he'll get more top end experience with Derby than with Watford, if he's picked to play. Even though I'd fancy Watford to make a top 6 push next season as well.

Then I look at Thorne, Hughes and Bryson as a midfield three and I think (transfers in and out permitting)  that would be Steve's preferred choice.

It's a big year for Jeff, he's got to be in the first 11 and he's got to start dominating games like everyone knows he can.

Can he dislodge any of Thorne, Hughes or Bryson?

I'd be gutted if he left, especially to join a championship rival. I don't see us wanting to sell him all and his last article was really positive about this coming season as a Ram.

Jeff has got to play games to continue to develop. It's no good for him to be sitting on the bench at the start of next season, waiting for his chance to get in. He's pretty much got to be getting some kind of game time week in week out. When he's playing and confident, he's a joy to watch and he's certainly too good to be a sub.

I've said it since he burst onto the scene and 3 years later, he still reminds me of a young Roy Keane (but without the mean streak). His surging, powerful runs are really starting to become a trademark.

He's an Ireland international now and it's time he got back to having a really consistent season. I think he's got potential to play top half of the Premier League, with a couple of really solid years of top end Championship experience behind him.

I think he'll get more top end experience with Derby than with Watford, if he's picked to play. Even though I'd fancy Watford to make a top 6 push next season as well.

Then I look at Thorne, Hughes and Bryson as a midfield three and I think (transfers in and out permitting) that would be Steve's preferred choice.

It's a big year for Jeff, he's got to be in the first 11 and he's got to start dominating games like everyone knows he can.

Can he dislodge any of Thorne, Hughes or Bryson?

He started ahead of Hughes for the last however many games of the season and then started ahead of Bryson in the final, which would suggest to me that he's already well in the frame

Replacing Bryson and/or Hughes positionaly yes but Thorne? Never! The defensive midfielder role requires discipline and the ability to read a game but Hendricks instinct is to surge forward at every opportunity -he's already shown he obviously isn't suited to playing in the DMF position

Jeff was injured for a fair whack early last season, but by the end had forced his way into the regular starting lineup. It's always seemed clear with him that he needs a run of games to build up to his full effectiveness. If he plays sporadically, he tends to be underwhelming. When he's on song, he's our Steven Gerrard, driving from midfield and shooting (and scoring) from distance.

A key difference between last year and previous seasons was that we had more strength in depth. So the squad were able to keep going all the way through, with only small blips. When Hendrick was out, we still had Bryson and Hughes. When Keogh got injured, had Keane champing at the bit. This also meant better competition for places and better performances.

If we play the same style next season, if everyone stays injury-free it could be a case of perming three from two in those forward midfield berths, but we need at least three strong players to choose from. McClaren was fair and, if the team played well, they always kept the shirt. The players on the pitch knew that and those wanting to break back in understood it. Keep Jeff and let's hope all three go up a level in performance next season -then we really would be unstoppable.

I remember a couple of years ago when he signed a new contract, cloughie was stated as saying he had a rather pushy agent....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived