Wisdom - is it just me?

Tamworthram

Everyone is talking about trying to retain the three loan players: Thorne, Bamford and Wisdom.

Thorne, yes, I'd drive Rush and Mac to the Hawthorns if it helped clinch the deal but the other two?

Bamford is clearly a good player and a born goal scorer but he is surely being played out of position. Couldn't Bennett play that role?

As for Wisdom, he's strong and does the basic defensive duties well but you need more than that from a full back these days. When he has time on his hands 9 times out of 10 he either gets caught in possession or plays the ball backwards. He doesn't provide the same attacking outlet as the likes of Forsyth does now or Brayford used to.

That's my opinion and I guess I'm in the minority.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Wisdom does not go forward is a good thing!

Did you not see Bucko's interview saying Wisdom provides perfect balance at the back because Forsyth attacks so much. 

Having 2 full backs bombing on every attack may do more harm than it does benefit.

It's not like we need more goals really, top scorers etc. Being solid is just as important.

Everyone is talking about trying to retain the three loan players: Thorne, Bamford and Wisdom.

Thorne, yes, I'd drive Rush and Mac to the Hawthorns if it helped clinch the deal but the other two?

Bamford is clearly a good player and a born goal scorer but he is surely being played out of position. Couldn't Bennett play that role?

As for Wisdom, he's strong and does the basic defensive duties well but you need more than that from a full back these days. When he has time on his hands 9 times out of 10 he either gets caught in possession or plays the ball backwards. He doesn't provide the same attacking outlet as the likes of Forsyth does now or Brayford used to.

That's my opinion and I guess I'm in the minority.

But that's the way McClaren has asked the team to play. Forsyth bombs forward and wisdom, Keogh and Buxton sit in to form a back three. Forsyth is instructed to do so, wisdom is instructed to sit in and play more defensively.

Tbf though, wisdom is a natural centre back, and has had a great season at right back. I'd love to see him back but not sure if it's a viable option. From the various squad interviews, seemingly wisdom wants to play centre back, not at right back. For that reason, unless we can offer him that, he'll probably want to move on. Plus Liverpool will want a pretty penny for him - young, England u21s, strong, quick defender with decent passing and composure... No way he'd be cheaper than 2mil...

Personally I'd try and sign Wisdom and look into this lad... former Burton and Crewe boy by the name of John Brayford. Supposedly did quite well in Sheffield United's incredible run from last to 7th in League One.

We could then look at the option of a defence like:

Forsyth - Buxton/Keogh - Wisdom - Brayford

We have multiple options there as well, with Brayford also capable at centrehalf, Wisdom capable at rightback and centrehalf and Buxton and Keogh a solid partnership in their own right.

We'd have 3 front line centrehalves, attacking fullbacks of known quality, and if the midfield is sorted (resigning Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick, signing Thorne), we could have an incredibly solid unit in from of them too.

I agree with the OP - Wisdom is undoubtedly a good player but he is replaceable. He's not quite got the attacking verve of a Brayford or Forsyth but is solid enough defensively. I do have some doubts about how comfortable he is in possession too - he looks like a centre half playing slightly out of position.

Re Bamford - yes he has been playing out of position but I think this formation suits our key strength within the squad - midfield. Never been a fan of 4-4-2 & Bamford doesn't have what it takes to be a sole striker at the moment. He would be a great luxury to have on loan again but not a priority for me.

Thorne is a different case in point - quality player, fits into the team perfectly & great attitude to boot. I particularly liked his reaction after he put us ahead at Donny last month - he barely celebrated, there was still a job to finish.

They'll do everything in their power to get Thorne IMO. He's been the best loan signing by far. They'll probably ask about having Bamford and Wisdom on loan next season. They're both good players in this division and can be played out of position and the team wouldn't be disrupted but against premiership opposition they'd come unstuck as Wisdom isn't a right back and Bamford isn't a winger. If the parent clubs say no I'll imagine we'll look elsewhere because both would demand fees of £2 million+.

Let it go. Let Brayford squander his talent in lower leagues in pursuit of pleasing his boyfriend Clough.

Brayford ended his long term relationship with Clough to chase his Premier League dreams, and coming back here could be a chance to revive them at a club he has some connection to. I know it's silly, but I would like to see him back at the club, but oh well...

Personally I'd try and sign Wisdom and look into this lad... former Burton and Crewe boy by the name of John Brayford. Supposedly did quite well in Sheffield United's incredible run from last to 7th in League One.

We could then look at the option of a defence like:

Forsyth - Buxton/Keogh - Wisdom - Brayford

We have multiple options there as well, with Brayford also capable at centrehalf, Wisdom capable at rightback and centrehalf and Buxton and Keogh a solid partnership in their own right.

We'd have 3 front line centrehalves, attacking fullbacks of known quality, and if the midfield is sorted (resigning Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick, signing Thorne), we could have an incredibly solid unit in from of them too.

I'm getting tired of putting this idea forwards, this would be a PERFECT defence for us.

He doesn't bomb forward because he's not supposed to. Keogh and Buxton can't cover him. When Forsyth goes forward they can all cover that extra ground to their lefts.

I take your point about him being told not to "bomb forward" but the point is, when he gets the ball (and has time to think) he invariably passes it backwards. Maybe it's because he doesn't have or can't see any options to play it forward.or even sideways. You just know that when the ball reaches him, more often than not, it's going nowhere other than back to Keogh. 

I take your point about him being told not to "bomb forward" but the point is, when he gets the ball (and has time to think) he invariably passes it backwards. Maybe it's because he doesn't have or can't see any options to play it forward.or even sideways. You just know that when the ball reaches him, more often than not, it's going nowhere other than back to Keogh.

It is frustrating sometimes but he keeps possession which is most important. He's better than Brayford defensively and I think he makes the balance equal for Forsyth. He just doesn't try to do stuff that he's not comfortable with.

We probably could replace him but it'd be easier just to get him back. If we got Brayford like most people want then either him, Forsyth or Thorne/Eustace/whoever would have to help Keogh and Buxton cover their zones. And Wisdom is better defensively than all 3.

It's easy to forget he's only 20.

Defensively we'll struggle to find a better RB I think.

Archived