Redemption of McClaren

BondJovi

I do believe the play off final will mark McClaren's first time back at Wembley since the infamous "wally with a brolly" moment.

I think Steve, Simmo and Steele have been fantastic. But more so, I think Steve has been brilliant in every interview, been honest but always demanded more when needed, I struggle to think of any game he hasn't given a perfect summary of, likewise how many substitutions has he got wrong? I am delighted for him that he is proving his ability once again in this country after the press did their best to destroy him.

This is a total love in thread. Possibly beer inspired. If we get promoted, Steve should go all out Bald Eagle with his hair.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/11/derby-county-brighton-championship-play-off-match-report

Steve McClaren has pledged to leave his umbrella at home as Derby County secured their place at Wembley for the Championship play-off final a week on Saturday with manager and club ready to take a shot at redemption.

Wembley and 2007 presaged humiliating periods for Derby and McClaren but now both can relish the prospect of returning to the national stadium with their heads held high.

Just as the Derby manager will never be allowed to forget the memory of being dubbed the "wally with the brolly" after Croatia's victory ended his reign as the England manager, so Derby remain associated with the abject campaign that same winter in which they mustered a record low 11 Premier League points following their play-off final triumph over West Bromwich Albion.

Goals from Will Hughes, Chris Martin, George Thorne and Jeff Hendrick enabled Derby to book their berth in the final against either Queens Park Rangers or Wigan Athletic and the style with which McClaren has his team playing burnishes his restored reputation.

Asked whether returning to Wembley would evoke memories of the Croatia debacle, McClaren said: "Thank you for reminding of that! I won't be taking a bloody brolly this time, I know that much.

"I've been back to Wembley a few times since then. I'll be back there next week for the FA Cup final for Hull City against Arsenal. It'll be nice to go back there because I've got some great memories as well as some bad ones."

This was Derby's fourth victory over Brighton this season, building on the 2-1 first-leg victory at the Amex Stadium on Thursday, and their seventh win in eight games. Some of their football in this match, epitomised by a deftly taken goal by Hughes that McClaren described as "unbelievable", was from the top drawer.

"We won ugly on Thursday and today we wanted a performance – and what a performance," the manager said. "From minute one, we just wore Brighton down. We've got to deal with everything coming our way now, all the accolades, all the preparations for Wembley, but the key thing is we've got to perform like that."

McClaren praised the "bravery" of Sam Rush, the Derby chief executive, who opted to replace the popular Nigel Clough in the autumn with a manager who had failed up the A52 with Nottingham Forest in his previous posting. Derby were 14th when McClaren arrived in October but have now achieved a club record number of points and becoming the Championship's highest scorers.

Derby looked every one of the 13 points they finished above Brighton even if it took until the 34th minute for them to score. Craig Forsyth crossed low from left-back for Hughes to time his run late and pirouette into a position from which he deflected the ball home with the inside of his left heel. It was a marvellous goal that settled Derby and the goals flowed in the second period. Martin bagged his fourth goal against Brighton of the season, bundling home his 25th of the season when Jamie Ward headed Johnny Russell's cross back across goal.

The margin of Derby's superiority was rendered more realistic in the final 14 minutes as Thorne volleyed home from 25 yards and Hendrick arrived late to convert Patrick Bamford's pull-back before Kazenga LuaLua scored for Brighton, a goal so token that even the Derby fans celebrated.

Pleased to see he'll be leaving his brolly at home. :D

I think the only time he's stumbled was the whole "playing-Jeff-as-CDM" thing against Millwall. Not just the selection but his post match interview with Owen Bradley seemed prickly and a little abrupt. Perhaps he realised he'd got it wrong but didn't want to come out and say it.

Still, if that's the only blot on his copy book in terms of how he's conducted himself, he hasn't done bad.

When Clough was sacked and McLaren appointed, I emailed a Sheepsh*gger mate of mine and said "That is the most stupid fvcking decision I have ever seen - and as a Leicester City fan, I have seen more than enough to know what I am talking about."*

Hands up, I was completely and utterly wrong. I thought yesterday's team selection and tactics were brilliant, and Derby thoroughly deserve to be at Wembley. Play like that when you get there, and neither QPR nor Wigan will be able to live with you. I am glad about the brolly decision: another tactical victory.

*Slightly in my own defence, my mate wrote back and said "Yes, you're right. Christ knows what they are thinking about."

He never mentions the wage bill's of other club either. He just get's on with it. As mentioned he made a tactical error against Milwall and I'd add Leicester, that aside his reign has been faultless.

I knew he would be a step up but I didn't think he would be this good. It's great to have a positive atmosphere at the club again. Happy days to be a Ram. 

It seems there are some very favourable omens out there, not least the Wembley one. Mac lost to Croatia in 2007 and we won the play offs in the same year sparking the beginning of an awful time for us and him. Could we be about to right some wrongs?

I don't think the result in the final should have any bearing whatsoever on peoples opinions of Steve.

What he's achieved already is redemption enough. His win record since he's come in speaks for itself. He's done a brilliant job, hardly made a signing, kept faith with the squad, been fair with the way he picks the team. He's kept playing football the whole way through and he's handled himself very well indeed.

He's been totally the opposite of what I expected from him, I was wrong thinking he'd come in and change too much too quickly and I can only give him credit for the way he's got this team consistently winning matches.

If he now bumps into a dogged QPR or a very physical Wigan side and they grind out a 1-0 against us, that shouldn't change McClarens stock. He's had a brilliant season whatever happens on the 24th.

He never mentions the wage bill's of other club either. He just get's on with it. As mentioned he made a tactical error against Milwall and I'd add Leicester, that aside his reign has been faultless.

I knew he would be a step up but I didn't think he would be this good. It's great to have a positive atmosphere at the club again. Happy days to be a Ram. 

It seems there are some very favourable omens out there, not least the Wembley one. Mac lost to Croatia in 2007 and we won the play offs in the same year sparking the beginning of an awful time for us and him. Could we be about to right some wrongs?

Unlike the Ginger Mourinho, who was rasping on after we beat Burnley about how he'd only spent £2.55 on players whereas City had a multi-billion pound squad. When we tonked the Rams last December, McLaren was generous in his praise of us and honest about his and the Derby players' performance. He deserves a lot of credit for the way he conducts himself.

I think the only time he's stumbled was the whole "playing-Jeff-as-CDM" thing against Millwall. Not just the selection but his post match interview with Owen Bradley seemed prickly and a little abrupt. Perhaps he realised he'd got it wrong but didn't want to come out and say it.

Still, if that's the only blot on his copy book in terms of how he's conducted himself, he hasn't done bad.

Hughes played as the pivot during that Millwall game and I wouldn't even say that was a tactical error, he played in that position regularly under Clough and he didn't do that badly, it was missing out on Martin that was the problem.

Though, as mentioned below, the Leicester game was a bad one tactically.

Interesting point about the play-off final is the major impact that McClaren has had on both sides. When he left QPR to take over at Derby, they went into a bit of a nosedive (I think they were top when he left) and Derby were in mid-table mediocrity. Now both will be at Wembley. Not a bad record.

Ive said it before and i'll say it again, he has us playing in an exciting way, which when we 'turn up' is difficult for other teams in this league to live with....

My worry, and its a real one, is that if we win on the 24th, in the Prem he wont have the resources to compete and we will get beaten a fair bit ( hopefully more than 11 points tho ) and the 'MOANERS' come out of their holes... where is sideshow bob  these days ??

and then with the pressure on us cos we're being beaten, and the boo's and moans are in the ascendance, the board capitulate and sack McClaren :wacko:

We get relegated anyway, and then we are back to the managerial merry go round.......  a bit richer, but back to lets say 'square 2'

One thing is for sure and that is that every manager bar maybe one or two ends up losing their job or leaving. That is fact however much they achieve it always ends. The season and football has been tremendous to watch.

I liked Macca as a player and like him as a manager but I tend to think there is something in him that will move on if a bigger club offer comes up. I think he likes the limelight and has a point to prove and will up sticks if we dont get promoted and or budgets aren't good enough.

I think he has matured a hell of a lot. As a manager and as a fella.

I think this is his home and he accepts that.

We could all go chasing the glamour model but in the end, it ends in tears.

I think he has found a nice pretty, albeit curvy lass, with a great sense of humour, and a lovely pair of knockers.

He's better off staying with her. And he knows it.

Archived