Midfield dilemma

ollieb123

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thorne is absolutely nailed on to start. The other two midfield places are up for grabs.

Hughes - personally I don't think he's had an incredible season... but I think he should play. His creativity really gives us something extra, he's really a different kind of player to the other two. It was great to see him really get forward today - he's not done that so much this season. Could playing with Hendrick allow him to be more attacking?

Bryson - he's player of the season. Dropping him sounds crazy. But Hendrick is in better form, and he might not be 100% fit come the big day.

Hendrick - the lad's scoring a hell of a lot - it would be really hard to drop him.

My heart says Bryson and Hughes - seems so unfair to make our player of the season to miss out on such a vital game. But my head says Hendrick and Hughes. They were incredible today, and if we play like we did today, we'll be promoted.

I always like to see hughes in the team.

He is a wonderful player for his age.

Bryson is great, but theres something not quite right with him at the mo.

No dilemma for me, no need to change anything after a performance like that from the 3 of them. Plus in the bigger games when teams try and close down our midfield, I think Hughes has the first touch and the guile to wriggle into some space, and Hendrick has the strength to break away, whereas Bryson with his stature fares a little worse in that regard.

My game plan: 

bryson - bombing attacking midfielder, runs around like a headless chicken but with a head, i think if we're playing wigan he definitely needs to start, he should tire them out completely in the first hour considering it will be their 63rd game

hughes - ball retention and technique is his game, just look at his goal for technical ability, just his all round passing ability and with the expansive wembley pitch, him combined with Thorne will wreak havoc, defo start for me whoever we're facing, although he's probably be done by QPR's physicality

Hendrick - pace power muscle and determination, theirs a physicality about him and I'd think if we were to play QPR then he will hold his own against their thugs

i honestly don't know, I just find it so pleasant as to find us pondering who we put in midfield, instead of who we don't put

That CBE fella is tripping, how can you possibly suggest dropping Thorne and putting Hendrick as the CDM?  :lol:

For me, keep the winning formula, Thorne, Hendrick and Hughes. Bryson is a better option if we are chasing the game and need someone to come off the bench and make a difference. 

Last pre-season I actually suggested selling Bryson as I thought it was more important to keep hold of Hughes and Hendrick and I was especially worried Hendrick might go. But I've clearly been proved an idiot. What we needed and now have is strength in depth. Our player of the season with 16 midfield goals and almost as many assists was injured on Sunday and we didn't bat an eyelid.

McClaren has shown over again that if you have the shirt, you keep the shirt until you lose form and/or results go wrong. Of course it would be incredibly harsh on Bryson, but I think the Wembley midfield has to be Thorne, Hendrick, Hughes. It's taken Hendrick a long time to come good this season (he's one of those players who needs a significant run of games for some reason) but he's on fire at the moment. Thorne offers so much and our other three obviously don't work as a trio. But Hughes was so important on Sunday and will be again at Wembley. He keeps the ball like no other. And if he hadn't the ability to produce that wonder goal, it could have been a different story.

However, it was mystifying away at Brighton when Sammon came on to apparently play left midfield for the final 25 minutes, with Hughes on the bench. I think Hughes' future may well be higher up the pitch where he can be more dangerous. I wouldn't start with this, but IF we are winning with 25 to go and everyone is fit, I wouldn't object to bringing Bryson on for one of the wingers and moving Hughes further up. That said, Hughes was spent before the end on Sunday and will be more so with the big Wembley pitch, so we'll probably need all of them at some point anyway.

Great dilemma to have...

I would accept that Thorne is going back to his club anyway and go with Bryson Hughes Hendrick with Eustace as an option. Thorne has been Schteeves best signing but for me hardly ireplaceable.

By that logic we should take out Wisdom and play Lee Naylor at RB. You're actually joking right? This isn't just the last game of the season, this is the play-off final! If we lose, we stay down in the miserable championship and if we win we go to the Premier league while picking up 100 million on the way.

Pick the strongest 11 available, that includes Thorne. 

Archived