Play-off Final: Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

CumbrianRam

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness 'arry set his 10 men up to play on the counter,when we messed up at the back

he had 3 men up.We hardly had that many men in the area in the whole game,yet in the

season we always had men in the area,why not today?

Incidentally I thought Hughes was off the pace today,he kept losing possession and only

played simple passes to the nearest man,thought Bryson should have come on for him

earlier.

SillyBilly

I'd be less gutted if it wasn't QPR in honesty, I didn't just want it as a Derby fan, I really thought we were flying the flag for football today...the fact we lost in the cruelest of fashion adds salts to the wounds.

Already dreading the taunts off Forest next year, no surprises to what renditions we will get. That'll hurt.

Really was our big chance.

The cruelest defeat is added to by the fact that players such as Thorne, Wisdom, Bryson, Hughes and even Martin might be PL-bound this summer.

We should neveer get too attatched to loan players, but I love Thorne and Wisdom and pray they come back next season.

We weren't good enough today. All credit to QPR who defended for their lives. It just felt inevitable that they would nick one.

I hope we manage to keep Thorne who is a real star but the other loan stars I could cope with losing.

A cruel defeat, but we only have ourselves to blame.

Thought we played well for the most part but we just didn't have the guile too open them up overly often, and when we did a combination of poor finishing and good defending won out.

Thought QPR defended superbly. Ironically them going down to ten men was probably the worst thing that could have happened. We've struggled against teams who've sat deep and played on the counter a few times this season.

We should have created more but they defended well and ultimately didn't make a right pig's ear of some pretty basic defending.

Evil prevailed today. If the avengers weren't based in NY they would have stormed in and beat the **** out of zamora and barton and co.

I'm upset we lost but so so proud of our effort this season. Just gutted we lost to such a corrupt team and they'll probably get away without the FFP fines now.

Off to drown my sorrows. Love all you fellow rams. Lets look forward to 2014/15

Don't know if I've ever felt as low as I do now.

A play-off final defeat against ten men, with them getting a last minute winner. When we were obviously the better team, both in the league and the actual match. That's just too hard to take.

Genuinely might have to have a little break from anything football-related for a bit. There's just no justice in this sport whatsoever.

Sad day for football. The teams that have flaunted the financial fair play rules are reaping the rewards. I just hope we can keep the nucleus of the squad for next season. I fear not. Let's just hope atletico beat the galacticos tonight....they have the same wage bill as QPR so they should do it!

A defeat that is probably going to take some time to truly sink in. 

It's a really surreal feeling having not gone through the Wembley experience but I feel for all of us that were there today. My best friend cut short a research trip to South Africa for the match and my younger brother used my customer number and went to Wembley for the first time. The pain has not fully registered for me yet but when I thought of them, my heart sank.

Even though I am here in St. Petersburg, I still had the pre-match anticipation. I woke up at 6am today even though my class wasn't until 3:30 in the afternoon. I was feeling supremely confident all day, I must admit, even singing on the metro to work. I made a grand old effort to get my class - only one student turned up, bless her - into the spirit of the day. She watched clips of the 1946 FA Cup final and that famous night against Real Madrid and read a short biography of Brian Clough amongst other things. She was really receptive and enthusiastic and I thought to myself, what could possibly go wrong today?

But then of course, it did. I only caught the second half and sadly the defining moments. To be honest, you have to give credit to QPR. After the sending off, a lot of teams would have crumbled but they didn't get careless. They had a game plan and they stuck to it. They defended really well and generally they did a good job of stifling us. We never looked quite as fluent as we have been. You always felt for all our possession, we didn't have a well-crafted answer for their stubborn resistance. I can only remember Green's save from Dawkins as the one ooh moment we had. Well from my choppy vantage point at least. With that, there was a sinking feeling that the longer the game went on and the more QPR frustrated us, that perhaps they would edge it. On penalties I imagined. But the outcome was obviously more hastening. 

It's hard to say how we'll regroup from this. It's neither a hugely positive nor a hopeless situation but it's a curious one I would say. I think there is more to come from our younger players - the likes of Russell, Hendrick and Hughes too if we don't cash in, of course. What worries me is that this league never gets easier and players like Bryson, Martin, Keogh and Buxton have all had the best season of their careers this time round. Will they all be able to produce the same level again next year? 

As for the young loanees, you could make an argument for keeping all of them. Thorne has really added an extra touch of class to our midfield and would be welcomed back with open arms, while Wisdom and Bamford have made creditable contributions to a successful campaign. To be honest, I'd take Wisdom and Thorne back if it were possible. I think those two will only grow from this experience and it'd be great to see how they'd progress if they were with us for a full season. I like Bamford but I don't think he quite fits in the picture, so he'll move on to somewhere that guarantees him more first-team action I'd say.

So yes a bit dazed and confused, but I look to the summer with interest. If Steve can make some shrewd signings and lift the existing squad of players, hopefully it's a case of picking up where we left off (I hope!)

Travelling back down the M4 I was passed by some QPR fans with scarves and flags hanging out of the windows; unbelievable!
Let's face it no honourable fan wants to win in that manner, much less celebrate the event.

Let's look back at the game from the point of view of a totally unbiased observer:
They haul Russell down when he was just about to unleash an unstoppable shot into the top corner.
Defend for the rest of the game instead of coming out to play football like men.
Then score a sneaky goal in the 90th minute giving us no chance to reply.
Clearly a team of cheats and cowards.

If they had any shame they would return their winner's medals to the Football League with a note: "Please take these back, we don't deserve them".

If that's the kind of team they let into the Premiership, we're better off in the Championship.

I thought I'd feel better after that little outburst - but I'm still bitter and twisted.

Archived