Play-off Final: Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

CumbrianRam

Second para... dont we all! harry does not interview well. His comment about doing this for love and the fans and owners, did not fill me with the belief that he has the fire in his belly for promo/relegation battles. To be fair to him, he did well to get rid of a lot of dead wood, but Mac's influence on the first dozen games was pretty massive in enabling us to be in the playoffs at all

BTW... I dont hope you win in the slightest... just think you will. We have rarely looked like a team, more a group of individuals, some of whom are pretty talented and can swing games alone.. Back four have played very well as a unit, despite BAE lapses at times... that is where our success has stemmed from in most part

It's hard to call looking at your team you have good players as a Derby fan Ravel Morrison worries me.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brighton were tighter defensively than QPR - we won 4-1. 

We've conceded less goals than them under McClaren and scored a hell of a lot more.

QPR's experience counts for **** all - if it did, they wouldn't be playing in the Championship. Experience is the biggest 'myth' in football.

It's a one off game, but we're incredibly consistent. They know full well who the better team is, let them work themselves into a panic that an underpaid squad of talented individuals is better than an overpaid squad of used to be talented individuals. 

If 'Arry didn't keep his scout reports from 5-years ago, they may be better equiped.

I think it's going to be a very tight affair. Both our matches this season were decided by very fine margins - you could see in the iPro match we were weary of not making any mistakes. 

I'm no where near as confident as I was when we played Brighton (who I genuinely believed we would tonk). 

On form we should come out winners, but QPR showed real guts to beat Wigan, plus Charlie Austin has a nasty habit of scoring against us. 

I think it's going to be a very tight affair. Both our matches this season were decided by very fine margins - you could see in the iPro match we were weary of not making any mistakes. 

I'm no where near as confident as I was when we played Brighton (who I genuinely believed we would tonk). 

On form we should come out winners, but QPR showed real guts to beat Wigan, plus Charlie Austin has a nasty habit of scoring against us. 

THank you for cheering me ... Didnt know that about Charlie, so great news

THank you for cheering me ... Didnt know that about Charlie, so great news

You should have walked this league, anything short of a win is a massive failure for your club, whilst if we lose, we get all the ticket money and had a great day out.

Austin and Kranky will be what makes the difference, class and experience.  We are hoping Barton tries to 2 foot Bryson, and misses because he can't keep up and gets sent off :)

You should have walked this league, anything short of a win is a massive failure for your club, whilst if we lose, we gat all the ticket money and had a great day out.

Austin and Kranky will be what makes the difference, class and experience.  We are hoping Barton tries to 2 foot Bryson, and misses because he can't keep up and gets sent off :)

Perhaps in your opinion and many of the We love 'arry press, but the club was in turmoil after tlast season. Most of our fans just feared we would do a wolves. Some considered it a posibility, given the very low standard of the Championship compared to the PL, that we might get a playoff place. The good start under Mac/Harry, was enough to carry us through the rest of the mediocre season. We have been disjointed and had plenty of injuries. I am not making excuses, but most of us are just delighted to have big day out at Wembley with the possibility of going up

Even the owners made it clear from the start of the season, that it was hoped Harry would get the place back in order, yet hoped we would be challenging for promotion. rarely do teams that come down, go straight back up...

What was your experience when you came down... or is that being too provocative? 

Perhaps in your opinion and many of the We love 'arry press, but the club was in turmoil after tlast season. Most of our fans just feared we would do a wolves. Some considered it a posibility, given the very low standard of the Championship compared to the PL, that we might get a playoff place. The good start under Mac/Harry, was enough to carry us through the rest of the mediocre season. We have been disjointed and had plenty of injuries. I am not making excuses, but most of us are just delighted to have big day out at Wembley with the possibility of going up

Even the owners made it clear from the start of the season, that it was hoped Harry would get the place back in order, yet hoped we would be challenging for promotion. rarely do teams that come down, go straight back up...

What was your experience when you came down... or is that being too provocative? 

I fully expected to do a wolves / leeds / gumps, pleasantly surprised when we survived tbh.  Nigel had a lot of work to do, and then we hit a recession so to be where we are now is a little earlier than a lot of people expected and I think that includes the management at the club.

Every time we managed to shift out a piece of dead weight you could feel the pressure lift off the club and very very slowly things got better.  It was going to take patience and boy didn't it just!

For numpties, like myself, I cant lie and say I wasnt excited when we appeared to be attracting very big names to the club. The PL brought home how mercenary players can be... Boswanka being the one of the highest order, amongst many. I dont even think the owners realised. TF is really a kid with  a dream to play FIFA 14 for real... and boy has it been a hard learning curve. Every transfer window we are attempting to rebuild/strengthen. This summer will be the same, promo or not. There is a bit of youth, but our youth system has been shot for years and those that could make it, Like Sterling, are syphoned off (not begrudging it... he would always do better at a club with a proper academy, vs us). 

The kid with the dreams and a big heart is trying to fix it. We having planning passed for a new training ground and an academy. Like you, this may take many years. Those hoping for us to do a Pompey... not so sure. TF gives the impression of bearing a responsibility to leave QPR in a self sustaining state. Just hope he is as good to his word

I think QPR will try and spoil it - see Barton, Hill etc giving away silly little fouls to break it up. They will be solid, and certainly more difficult to break down than Brighton etc

We struggle in picking up the man who drops off the front behind the midfield and QPR have the best in the division in Ravel Morrison, so that definitely worries me. He will turn and run, which Keogh and Buxton cannot cope with - this makes Thorne even more important. They can also put quality in the box, and despite our improved defensive record, set pieces always look nervy.

On a positive note, 'Arry is not one for tailoring his tactics to suit. So I can't see him doing what the teams who have had success against us have done this season - i.e. press high, do not let us pass the ball to the centre backs and into midfielders feet. That will be massive for us, as it gets us in a rhythm.

I think QPR will try and spoil it - see Barton, Hill etc giving away silly little fouls to break it up. They will be solid, and certainly more difficult to break down than Brighton etc

We struggle in picking up the man who drops off the front behind the midfield and QPR have the best in the division in Ravel Morrison, so that definitely worries me. He will turn and run, which Keogh and Buxton cannot cope with - this makes Thorne even more important. They can also put quality in the box, and despite our improved defensive record, set pieces always look nervy.

On a positive note, 'Arry is not one for tailoring his tactics to suit. So I can't see him doing what the teams who have had success against us have done this season - i.e. press high, do not let us pass the ball to the centre backs and into midfielders feet. That will be massive for us, as it gets us in a rhythm.

last point... correct. it is down to harry's preferred back four, which restricts us from pushing up high as you cant have bothe Hill and Dunne and do that. We often see harry change things around at half time. It is known as harry's tombola, by many of us, when it comes to team selection, though to be fair, he sometimes (or the players surprise us)

Kill the ******* dog. Slowly.

Also, dunno if this has been posted elsewhere, but the final is worth an estimated £3m to the loser as the clubs have agreed the customary deal on the loser collecting all the takings from the final after the league have had their cut. Would soften the blow slightly as it would make a significant difference to our budget if the unthinkable happens.

Kill the ******* dog. Slowly.

Also, dunno if this has been posted elsewhere, but the final is worth an estimated £3m to the loser as the clubs have agreed the customary deal on the loser collecting all the takings from the final after the league have had their cut. Would soften the blow slightly as it would make a significant difference to our budget if the unthinkable happens.

Wembley makes £6,000,000 in total for ticket sales, loser gets £1,500,000 is what I read.

Wembley makes £6,000,000 in total for ticket sales, loser gets £1,500,000 is what I read.

If I'm right, the £6m gets split 50% to the league and 25% each to the clubs - who have agreed the loser pockets the lot. hence the £3m.

Archived