Derby's Defence 2014/2015

Sankey

Amazing season so far, especially going forward (league top scorers after all :) )!!

But clearly we'll need to improve defensively for next season, regardless of the division we're in!!

So which positions/ players in the back 5 need strengthening? And who do people think we should try and bring in???

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Individually the current back 5 (including Grant) are solid, but I think we're lacking a dominant figure to command the area!

This has been seen throught the season with some of the sloppy goals we've conceded!

Also I feel that we lack the strength in depth especially if Wisdom returns to Liverpool next season!!

There is more to defending than the back 5 - all of which have done well this season.

I think this is the key thing.

Yes, we could definitely defend crosses and set pieces better. And really need to in the play offs.

However, just the improvement we have seen with the more athletic Thorne in there has been marked. Much better shield from sideline to sideline than Eustace can be at this stage of his career.

Based on Grants form under Steele, I'd fancy him to succeed in the prem, but I feel the back 4 would need changes. With wisdom leaving and the other 3 in my opinion not good enough (although I do believe all promoted players should be given a crack, they've earnt it), we'd have to make 4 defensive signings IMO.

For the championship, obviously a new RB and I'd say another CB.

Due to our style we're unlikely to have a much better defence.

It's not so much the personnel, but more the style which I wouldn't change in an instance.

Afterall, player for player Palace don't have a better defence than Liverpool but they've conceded less goals over the season. Why? Simple, one team adopts an all-out-attack style whilst the other is ultradefensive.

I know which one wields better results in the long run, and it aint the defensive one.

A more mobile CB (Wisdom) to play alongside a PL regular if we go up. Bucko and Keogh are alreet' back-up, but if either of the first team CB's got a long-term injury there'd need to be a replacement sharpish.

Forsyth deserves a shot, get someone in as competition for him at LB.

2 new RB's, one with attacking ability and one who's more solid.

Also remember that McClaren will get more out of defenders than some other coaches will.

I think aswell the player that sits in front of the back four will have to be a really good buy. Having a good defensive midfielder can really help take the strain off the back four and offer an extra barrier especially with having 2 attacking midfielders. I wonder if in the prem he'd consolidate more and play with two defensive midfielders? 4-2-3-1 and have Hughes, Hendricks and Bryson behind the lone striker? Not much width granted.

Archived