Imperial Tobacco to close in notts

uttoxram75

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to deilver bread there when I was 16... Horrible smell and stuck with us the rest of the day.

It was once John Player yes? Im sure thats what it was called... The old fella who took the bread from us was Florist through and through and I used to wear my Derby top to go there... Plenty of good banter.

I worked there for a couple of years on contract in the 1980's - half my time at Nottingham, the other half at Bristol. It was fun at Bristol - the BBC quite often used to use the underground walkways which linked to main factory to the IT centre for filming episodes of Dr Who.

The staff caff at Nottingham used to do the best cod roe and chips you ever tasted too.

Locals asking for the government to help save 500 plus jobs.

Well they wouldn't help save a similar amount in the last remaining pits only last week.

So why would they worry about some fag factory? They'll still get the duty off the fags wether they are made here or not.

Locals asking for the government to help save 500 plus jobs.

Well they wouldn't help save a similar amount in the last remaining pits only last week.

So why would they worry about some fag factory? They'll still get the duty off the fags wether they are made here or not.

Because it's north of Watford that's why they won't save them!

Quite entertaining watching the local MP being interviewed. After she had shed  the usual crocodile's tears regarding job losses and the decline of traditional manufacturing, the reporter pointed out that the factory was closing because of successive government's anti-smoking regulations and punitive taxation that the factory was closing. Her reply? "Er, erm, we have now look at the creation of new jobs and the regeneration of this area of the city." Etc. etc. ad nausium.

Quite entertaining watching the local MP being interviewed. After she had shed  the usual crocodile's tears regarding job losses and the decline of traditional manufacturing, the reporter pointed out that the factory was closing because of successive government's anti-smoking regulations and punitive taxation that the factory was closing. Her reply? "Er, erm, we have now look at the creation of new jobs and the regeneration of this area of the city." Etc. etc. ad nausium.

Sure the local economy will bounce back, those laid off can become self-employed avon reps or better still work at SportsDirect on a 0 hour contract. 

Oh well at least Asda are "investing" in Britain with 5000 jobs at a minimum. Look forward to paying tax to support those workers with in-work benefits as poverty wages don't cut it. As long as Cameron is happy.

Living in nottm am sad to see well paid manual labour go. Not everyone can work in a call centre or customer services. Maybe one day when no one in this country is earning enough to buy the products and services of big business we'll see the error of our ways, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Two Things.

Firstly, taken at face value, reasons given for the closure include the significant increase in elicit trade i.e. sale of illegal or counter band cigarettes. I hope all of those people bumping their gums on this are not the same ones buying their fags off 'the back of a lorry' or sneaking a few extra through customs when returning from the Costa Brava?!

Secondly another reason is the continual decrease in UK sales. The biggest public health issue presently is smoking related illness and diseases. Are you bothered? We are all paying through the nose for this and keeping the NHS from collapsing will increasingly divert our taxes and revenues at the expense of other public services. Are you bothered?

Whilst I do not wish unemployment on anyone and totally agree that the Government should be actively supporting redeployment initiatives there are some industries whose demise is an indicator of hopefully a more responsible and hopefully healthier nation.

. The biggest public health issue presently is smoking related illness and diseases. Are you bothered? We are all paying through the nose for this and keeping the NHS from collapsing will increasingly divert our taxes and revenues at the expense of other public services. Are you bothered?

And if everyone in the UK stopped smoking tomorrow, what would you tax to fill the financial black hole?

Presumably sweeties and pork pies, and then, when obesity is no longer the biggest public health issue we can move onto taxing the buggery out of table salt.

And if everyone in the UK stopped smoking tomorrow, what would you tax to fill the financial black hole?

Presumably sweeties and pork pies, and then, when obesity is no longer the biggest public health issue we can move onto taxing the buggery out of table salt.

They'd boost tax on gambling and alcohol, those other addictive past-times they seem to exploit

Indeed. I'm not a smoker but I'm not a paid up member of the state knows best brigade either. Government policy is far too short sighted in these sort of things - they'll no doubt proceed to make alcohol prohibitively expensive then bemoan the decline of pubs and nightlife and the loss of jobs that come with it. And as for savings to the NHS, I could think of a few, sadly the NHS is not just needed to provide care these days but also to provide much needed jobs, particularly in areas where manufacturing and industry has totally been removed (and the circle begins)...

They'd boost tax on gambling and alcohol, those other addictive past-times they seem to exploit

IF everyone stopped smoking immediately, then surely the savings would be instant small time and massive long term!!!

tax raised on fags nowhere near equates to the relevant amount in the adverse effect on the economy

Archived