Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Nige, how many is that now? Should just about secure their league 1 status for next season.

It’s 10 wins in a row now ...I flicked through a few threads on a SU fans forum a day or two back and they all seemed happy, contented, and stuck somewhere between ‘smug’ and ‘gently purring’.

Obviously it can’t last but it’s good to see Nigel being respected and appreciated by the fans and I expect he’ll eventually leave SU in a much better state than he found them. 

It’s 10 wins in a row now ...I flicked through a few threads on a SU fans forum a day or two back and they all seemed happy, contented, and stuck somewhere between ‘smug’ and ‘gently purring’.

Obviously it can’t last but it’s good to see Nigel being respected and appreciated by the fans and I expect he’ll eventually leave SU in a much better state than he found them. 

Not dig at Clough here, but is there a worse state than being a PL-sized club that's 3rd from bottom in the 3rd tier.. Just like when Clough took over at Derby, I'm pretty sure we couldn't have gotten any worse..

Even if we'd been relegated to the 3rd tier, we would have won it at a canter as the difference in quality between the NPC and L1 is massive.

NC has it all set for him.. I'll only give him credit for being a decent manager if he gets Sheff Utd to the PL.. Especially when yoy consider that people like Iain Dowie, Aidy Boothroyd, Phil Brown, Gary Megson, Dave Jones and Ian Holloway have done it with smaller and less resourced clubs

Not dig at Clough here, but is there a worse state than being a PL-sized club that's 3rd from bottom in the 3rd tier.. Just like when Clough took over at Derby, I'm pretty sure we couldn't have gotten any worse..

Even if we'd been relegated to the 3rd tier, we would have won it at a canter as the difference in quality between the NPC and L1 is massive.

NC has it all set for him.. I'll only give him credit for being a decent manager if he gets Sheff Utd to the PL.. Especially when yoy consider that people like Iain Dowie, Aidy Boothroyd, Phil Brown, Gary Megson, Dave Jones and Ian Holloway have done it with smaller and less resourced clubs

You really can't give Clough credit for his achievements with Sheffield United?

An incredible run in the league eclipsed by beating not one but two Premiership sides and two Championship sides to make an FA Cup semi final.

You just have something personal against Clough. It is clear for all too see.

Clough has done well for Sheff Utd and good luck to him. For me, it was the manner of the defeats to Reading and Burnley especially that didn't provide me with any hope of an upturn in form, and some of the turgid football I had to watch under him was unpleasant. I never called for his head, but it felt like a relief when he went.

Paul Jewell did well at Bradford and Wigan, Phil Brown got Hull promoted. Maybe, if we'd just stuck with them a bit longer?

Plus the whole defence has improved immensely since he and his coaching staff left. Grant, Forsyth, Keogh and Buxton looked hapless at the start of the season and Adam Smith was not the quality we were looking for. The coaching staff under Clough were frankly poor.

The next two games will be a challenge. Preston away and wolves at home. We'll have to see how that goes for him.

If he wins his games in hand the there's not a bad shout for play offs. But the gap between 6th and 7th is massive, so there's only really 6 the up for grabs, and loads of teams going for it.

Would be a helluvan achievement to take that 6th place. Even if they are the man city of league one. Even the man city if the premier league didn't do well for the first couple of seasons.

Archived